• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Mighty Mo, BB-63

I have not been idle! I have been building the superstructures, painting them as I go. However, I am not loving the brush strokes that are glaring at me. Using Testors and Humbrol enamels and a Kolinski Sable brush. The brush should not leave stroke marks so it must be the paint not settling/leveling. It is nearly impossible to use the airbrush to paint the deck with all of the little parts sticking up and around. I may see what careful airbrushing the large areas does. I also may try acrylics. I may try a coat of clear acrylic and see what Tamiya paints will do. Anyway, here is what I have so far
1000012252.jpg
1000012253.jpg

The PE railing has gotten no easier. Loctite made no difference. My spray pump on my accelerator quit working so I have had to try and apply it with a brush, which of course immediately ruins the brush (I have more pumps at the store and need to take a few home). I tried using the needle and flow trick but can't make anything flow. The railings would add significant looks to the model but am not sure they are worth the frustration. I am trying to be so patient, holding the piece in place for count of 60 only to have it let go when I do. A prayer, and an audible positive energy "you are going to hold this time" doesn't help LOL. Various viscosities of Zap, Loctite, and BSI make no differnece and the accelerator doesn't help. I gave white glue a go but even when dry it came off with the slightest bump. I am at a loss honestly. But I am going to persevere, hoping to find the magic formula to make it work. E6000 maybe? Hmmm.... I use it on the costumes I make, and the fabric will rip before the E6000 will let go. I have not tried it on models. That is tonights experiment!

Did you cut the eye of the needle open? You want it to look like a mini 2 prong cocktail fork. Have two of them, one for CA, one for accelerator.
Well, no. I misread about that part. I cut the eye of the needle OFF so it would go into an eraser. I will try the open needle eye trick. It can't make the glue dry but will be easier to get it where I want it to go.

It is common to use the straw end of the accelerant to put a drop or 2 on c/a glue on ship model railings. Almost nobody sprays it on rails/p/e.
I wonder if your c/a glue won't stick because it cures when it gets close to to the accelerant-soaked plastic? :hmm:

It is common to use the straw end of the accelerant to put a drop or 2 on c/a glue on ship model railings. Almost nobody sprays it on rails/p/e.
I wonder if your c/a glue won't stick because it cures when it gets close to to the accelerant-soaked plastic? :hmm:
I don"t know. The sprayer doesn't work so I have been using a small paint brush or a small pin to put it where I want it. It is rarely soaked I think. Of course, you could be right, but I usually add the accelerant while holding the piece in place. Occassionally I put accelerant on one piece and glue on the other then join. It gives the same might work, might not result. I have tried many things. I know it is me not knowing what I am doing and pure operator error, I just can't seem to narrow down the error.

Back