• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Mig Jimenez Weathering Tutorial

TomN

Nice...and thorough (2 hours) video weathering tutorial from Mig Jimenez...

This came in real handy as I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do next on my
King Tiger project.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqeXw1b7P4g

Tom

Strange to hear the female translate into Polish. Straight translation without the proper (Polish) 'modeling' terminology.

Regards,

A very well presented SBS there,..I wonder what products could be substituted from the AK stuff if we havnt the dough to rush out and buy some.

Foe example the thinners for enamels is what,....white spirit or mineral spirits or either ?

Mig seems like a nice bloke from that video

Anyone met him in person ?

A very well presented SBS there,..I wonder what products could be substituted from the AK stuff if we havnt the dough to rush out and buy some.

Foe example the thinners for enamels is what,....white spirit or mineral spirits or either ?

Andy
I think a good quality art store mineral spirit would work fine, though I did go ahead and
splurge on the AK product. I transferred it to an eyedropper bottle and just use a few drops
at a time, so as not to waste it. It does work quite nicely.

I was at AMPS in Indiana, didn't have the nerve to introduce myself (I'm a bit shy at times)
but he seemed like a very down to earth, approachable guy.

Tom

Yes. I spoke to him several times over the telephone and invited him to my home. We've met several times.

vAMPS2011_095.JPG

Miguel Jimenez (AK Interactive) is on the left and Rick Lawler (then Mig Productions USA) on the right.

vAMPS2011_092.JPG

Rick Lawler (closest to camera) and Miguel building at the AK Interactive booth.

vAMPS2011_093.JPG

Another angle with Joe Hudson (Verlinden Productions) in the orange shirt.

vAMPS2011_087.JPG

Iain Hamilton (AK Interactive USA) and Rick Lawler (then Mig Productions USA).
No bull, just modeling.

Regards,

Been on some workshops on modelshows here in the Lowcountries and have several of his videos at home,
amazing stuff...yeah I am a fan. :)

Thanks for sharing Tom! (y)

Greetings,Ron.

Andy,

before the MIG Productions line (and later the AK line) was created Humbrol enamels were the go to product for much of the 'Spanish School'. Both lines are basically a pre-thinned, pre-selected color palette that years of practice and experimentation came up with. The pre-bottled products main purpose, is convenience. All the guess work and experimentation is done for you ahead of time and you can simply pick up a bottle off the shelf and go. It's the same color every time, same consistency every time etc.

Having said that you can technically get the same exact effects using normal enamel paints and thinner.

RE the thinner; basically white spirit (UK) is mineral spirits (US).

He is quite possibly the most giving and caring guy I've met in this hobby, a very gentle man with a huge heart and wonderful sense of humor. He always has time to meet and greet, pose for a photo or sign a book. The word ego isn't in his vocabulary and he is genuinely excited to meet every single person who approaches him at shows etc.

I'm pretty sure you already saw all the pictures on facetube from our trips to Chicago and to Indiana but I'll stick a little collage up anyway. ;)

Untitled~0.jpg

I was at AMPS in Indiana, didn't have the nerve to introduce myself (I'm a bit shy at times)

Tom

I wish I had known that Tom, he would have truly enjoyed meeting and talking to you and your wife. If there's a next time, I'm going to make sure it happens.

..and if you are feeling adventurous, take a trip to Armorcon (formerly AMPS East) it's a great two day regional show in Danbury CT. in late September. It's always nice chatting with you two.

vAMPS2011_093.JPG

Another angle with Joe Hudson (Verlinden Productions) in the orange shirt.

...and the bald guy at the table with a turret in his hands is Carlos Cuesta, Project manager for AK Interactive.

:coolio

Thanks Ken, I wasn't sure if he was part of AK Interactive as I knew him from Euro Modelismo (a Spanish magazine formerly known as Modelismo e Historia).

Regards,

OK here's my brush with fame, our photographer missed the shot where we all were talking to Iain later that day.

IMG_6380.JPG

sorry attempt to remove the multichin curse.

I have to echo comments about Rick and Iain, couple of really swell fellas. And this site, our little website, in a weird sort of way, is Ricks fault...long story, if you don't know it, buy me a beer when you see me and I'll tell ya. :mpup

And the granny glasses lanyard doesn't help much...heheh, just kidding Moon.

Hey, I'll buy you a pitcher! I love a good story...

Tom

Tom

I wish I had known that Tom, he would have truly enjoyed meeting and talking to you and your wife. If there's a next time, I'm going to make sure it happens.

..and if you are feeling adventurous, take a trip to Armorcon (formerly AMPS East) it's a great two day regional show in Danbury CT. in late September. It's always nice chatting with you two.

Hey thanks Ken! Always great seeing you too. Don't think we'll make to CT, would love to though, but
we plan on making the AMPS Int'l in Fredericksburg...Hope to see you there and finally get you that
Guinness I promised you so loooong time ago...

Tom

Back