• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Made Me An Omelet

Skinny_Mike

Hi folks! For some reason, I have been struggling to make any progress on my various builds lately. I did finish this fun little project though.

For whatever reason, my wife likes those little egg plane kits. I typically have a few in the stash, besides the many I have already assembled for her, and every once in a while she wanders into the hobby cave, complains about the mess, and then says "Hey build me this!" So like a good husband I do as I am told! :bigrin:

Our latest adventure is the Tiger Models F4U Corsair.

s-l400.jpg

The Tiger Model kits are about the same size as the Hasagawa Egg Planes, but these are made more for little kids. You don't need glue to assemble them, the wheels and propeller spin and the rudder is moveable. They also come with stickers for the markings that can be used in place of the decals. I built mine with glue and paint and decals.

F4U_1.jpg

F4U_2.jpg
F4U_3.jpg
F4U_4.jpg
F4U_5.jpg

I used the AK Interactive Real Color paints for the main 3 color camo and a few other paints to finish it off. I was really surprised by the quality of the decals. They went down super easy, and responded to the Micro Set/Sol system without a hint of silvering and no obvious carrier film.

Overall it was a fun little build that I think turned out pretty good.

Thanks for Looking
Mike

It is always a good break to do something like this. Doesn't mean it is poorly done, but you just build and paint it. It turns out as good as you want it and you don't have to worry about the details.

Looks good Mike! Also looks like you had some fun doing it which is the main point.
3D_emoticon_187.gif

Mike, that is only one egg. You gotta pump up those numbers, you're too Skinny! :D

Regards,

I actually picked up a couple Hasegawa eggs on a SB DotD last week (needed some supplies anyways) to squirrel away for next year years MMM. These are definitely a nice change of pace when you need a break from the grind.

Love the paint work.

How do you like the AK paint? I'm using them now on my B-26 and really like the paint so far. Nice job! I need some of those egg planes in the stash.

It is always a good break to do something like this. Doesn't mean it is poorly done, but you just build and paint it. It turns out as good as you want it and you don't have to worry about the details.

Looks good Mike! Also looks like you had some fun doing it which is the main point. View attachment 125317

Totally agree Paul, This was a fun little distraction and I got to try out a new product. Also helped kick start some of the modelling mojo.

Thanks
Mike

I feel your pain.

Cute little build Mike!

Thanks Bob! I'm actually pretty happy with the way it turned out.

Yeah - my assembly line of tanks has become a little overwhelming again, and I ran into some issues getting the back deck together on the Abrams, both issues have just sapped the desire to do anything. oh well - slow and steady! :vgood:

Cute little omelet :) I got to try one of those one of these days.
James

They are quick, fun little builds.

That's a cute one, great finish work.

Thanks James!

Great! I still have one of those I need to finish!

:vgood:

What are you waiting for? Giter done!!!!! LOL

Mike, that is only one egg. You gotta pump up those numbers, you're too Skinny! :D

Regards,

Sadly middle age is creeping up on my mid-section! I may have to change my nickname! :lol:

I actually picked up a couple Hasegawa eggs on a SB DotD last week (needed some supplies anyways) to squirrel away for next year years MMM. These are definitely a nice change of pace when you need a break from the grind.

Love the paint work.

Thanks Chris - I am really happy with how the painting turned out.

Last edited:
How do you like the AK paint? I'm using them now on my B-26 and really like the paint so far. Nice job! I need some of those egg planes in the stash.

Hey Mo - I really like the AK real colors. They behave like Tamiya paints and have historical color matches. I did the camo on this little bugger free hand, and I am so pleased with the end results. And I am honestly not a great airbrusher. Another benefit, I did some touch ups around the vertical tail using a paint brush, and the blended right in. I am really happy.

Mike

Forgot to ask, what did you thin the paint with?

I used the AK High Compatibility thinner. I have read that people are having success with Tamiya thinners, both the X-20A and the lacquer thinner, and with Gunze Leveling Thinner. I have not tried any others as I tend to use the manufacturer's thinners. I feel they know what works best with their paint formulations.

AKHighCompatibility1_1024x1024.jpg

In this case I thinned the paint roughly 40% paint to 60% thinner at roughly 15psi and it all went on very well, and I felt I had good control. I did have some issues with the yellow on the prop tips, but I have found yellow to be a finicky beast, regardless of brand.

HTH
Mike

Back