• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Lighting 4 Image taking

Tankbuilder

Someone in a recent thread mentioned something about getting better lighting for taking images of models with. I just took a couple of images of my 1/48 Hobbycraft CF-100 Mk IV model layout to see how my new twin tube (Daylight light tubes) 48" florescent like fixture works. The images are pretty darn close to actual colour. The fixture was $27.99 Canadian and the tubes were $8.99 Canadian a pair. Both items were purchased at a Great Home Store hardware store.

Image with normal 100 watt Incandescent Lighting.

IMG_1725.JPG

Image with Twin 48" Daylight Florescent Tubes

IMG_1742.JPG

Cheers

A lot will depend on your White balance setting on the camera. I tend to just take on cloudy and then put the White balance right later with editing software. a camera set to auto should be pretty good.

...or try taking pics using natural light outdoors. I do this all the time but the big drawback to this idea is if you live in a very wet climate like I do you have to wait for a non-rainy day.

Matrixone

...or try taking pics using natural light outdoors. I do this all the time but the big drawback to this idea is if you live in a very wet climate like I do you have to wait for a non-rainy day.

Matrixone

Or in a northern climate it can be hard to find the model after it sinks into the deep snow. It's also a bit of a pain for apartment dwellers who don't have a balcony to cart their model(s)and their photography stuff outside.

Cheers

the big advantage of your Florescent Tubes is the lack of shadow. The further you can get them apart the better!! ie: if your picture span is usually 18" max then your lights will be best at 20 " apart.

the big advantage of your Florescent Tubes is the lack of shadow. The further you can get them apart the better!! ie: if your picture span is usually 18" max then your lights will be best at 20 " apart.

Can't separate the tubes in a twin tube fixture. This light is so white and bright I might get another one at the end of the month.

Cheers

Back