• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

James O’Leary

Ok so #1, thanks for your service! Not only in the uniform, but OUT of it as well, in areas like the WTU units and theiur modeling clubs to improve motor skills, that is of great value!

next, thanks for the compliments for my piddling efforts, that is most kind. The best thing about this forum is the help and inspiration from masters like yourself!

Ok so #1, thanks for your service! Not only in the uniform, but OUT of it as well, in areas like the WTU units and theiur modeling clubs to improve motor skills, that is of great value!

next, thanks for the compliments for my piddling efforts, that is most kind. The best thing about this forum is the help and inspiration from masters like yourself!

You're welcome. I am proud to have served (it's a family tradition dating way, way back). I feel very fortunate to have been involved with the modeling groups at WTU where I was able to help other Soldiers find a new hobby and a constructive way to regain their motor skills as well as provide a positive therapy for the unseen wounds of PTSD and TBI. Something that made that possible were the generosity of model clubs, individual modelers, and private citizens who donated models and modeling supplies. My friend, Wally Velechko who was a Vietnam Veteran and modeler organized a massive support operation that provided a wide variety of models and supplies to get more of our Soldiers involved. Sadly, a month or so after we received the package from Wally's club, he passed away from cancer. The Red Cross also provided many models for our group. At first they were basic snap tite type kits and there was not much variety, but then there was a new Red Cross director and she asked for a list of things the Soldiers would like to build and just about everything on the list came to be. I am very grateful to be a part of that and for the support we were provided.

You're also welcome for the compliments and comments of your work. The only way we can gauge our progress is through feedback. Some of that feedback can also serve as motivation to try new techniques, to take on challenging projects, or to just be inspired to finish a project that may have stalled for whatever reason.

Cheers,
James

Congratulations James . I had managed to miss this so far .

I appreciate not only your service and your building but also your willingness to help other vets .

Sort of strange, in TX. I found an abundance of modelers but in NC. there are so many Vets . They need so much.

Now days I find myself playing a lot of Pickelball with a lot of vets and policemen ( I feel safe ) .

I play with a Marine that was to that was told he would ever walk again. After three years , he's a pretty good ball player . So glad he didn't believe them.
One of the happiest person I know :D

Cheers, Christian B)

I appreciate not only your service and your building but also your willingness to help other vets .

Sort of strange, in TX. I found an abundance of modelers but in NC. there are so many Vets . They need so much.

Now days I find myself playing a lot of Pickelball with a lot of vets and policemen ( I feel safe ) .

I play with a Marine that was to that was told he would ever walk again. After three years , he's a pretty good ball player . So glad he didn't believe them.

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks, Christian.

There are plenty of Veterans in Texas, too, but since Texas is a large state it may seem that some smaller states have more since there would be more in a smaller area...who knows? :)

It is good that you interact with the Veterans and Policemen through sports. Perhaps you can try to steer a few of them to our hobby as something that can help them with their fine motor skills and concentration. :)

The story of your Marine friend being told he'd never walk again and he now plays sports just shows how determined and tough many Veterans are. When one accepts their new normal, discovers what they are now capable of, and how they can put their talents to work for the better good, they seem to be more happy and can do more than most people without disabilities can do.

Thanks for supporting the Vets and Cops.

Cheers,
James

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks, Christian.

There are plenty of Veterans in Texas, too, but since Texas is a large state it may seem that some smaller states have more since there would be more in a smaller area...who knows? :)

It is good that you interact with the Veterans and Policemen through sports. Perhaps you can try to steer a few of them to our hobby as something that can help them with their fine motor skills and concentration. :)

The story of your Marine friend being told he'd never walk again and he now plays sports just shows how determined and tough many Veterans are. When one accepts their new normal, discovers what they are now capable of, and how they can put their talents to work for the better good, they seem to be more happy and can do more than most people without disabilities can do.

Thanks for supporting the Vets and Cops.

Cheers,
James

Modeling is an issues, since we have no hobby shops around and the majority of vets are of advanced age . They all seem to have the determination to push on .
The police force is still in active service and we have a couple active firemen . We seem to all be part of the same brotherhood . :D

Cheers, Christian B)

Christian, here is a possibility: contact Dick Montgomery from IPMS USA. I believe he or someone in the IPMS USA has a program to supply model kits and supplies to veteran's hospitals and such for this kind of "modeling" therapy. If you need it, I can try and get his contact info for you. Let me know.

Thanks for the offer . Our club use to provide funds when we had so many troops in the Middle East but things have moved on.

Frankly , I have not heard anything to make me believe there's any interest . Just another reason why we have no shops and such a small club .

People around here seem to focus more on outdoor activities . RC racing is popular :idonno but not many builders unless it's automotive related.

Thank you for the offer though and if I see as much as a spark , I will reach out .

Cheers, Christian B)

Back