• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

IJN Yamato

Viper_MP

Well, after hearing "Is the Yamato finished?" enough from the local clubs, I decided to start working on her again. I started by reacquainting myself with Fujimi photoetch, and built the 1/700 IJN Chitose. Then I dove back in.

This is the Fujimi 1/500 IJN Yamato, 1945 final version. This is Fujimi's premium kit, featuring a ton of PE, brass barrels, and a full wood deck. And when I say a ton of PE....I mean a ton.

So, to start things off, here is the original IPMS review I did of the kit. It has some great pics of how she looked prior to starting. http://www.ipmsusa3.org/reviews2/ships/kits/fujimi_500_yamato/fujimi_500_yamato.htm

Now, onto the pics. I'm going to go back a bit and start with the pics I took early on. This was started in February 2010. So the build is now officially 4 years running.

hd1da22f.jpg

hdbdbab8.jpg

h86cef09.jpg

Now here are some of the shots of the start of the photoetch. These are still from 2010. you can easily figure out why I shelved her for 4 years.

First up....the tools.

A close up of some of the PE [my thumb for scale]
h6132a82.jpg

One of the MANY gun tubs. Note the VERY small corner braces. I had to sharpen a pair of tweezers to near needle point.
haedbc14.jpg

The main crane.
h41e564f.jpg

hcbbdf7b.jpg

Plane cradles,
h2ec49d9.jpg

One of the two catapults.
h15e946a.jpg

Now, I started back into this about 2 weeks ago now. What have I accomplished? Finishing the gun emplacements on the deck, and the main guns.

hff9a8f4.JPG

hdec4989.JPG

h77d4b82.JPG

h86c0db0.JPG

he89212f.JPG

I should point out....that PE on the sheet at the end of my thumb....are the same parts on the back of the main gun turrets.

Ok. New pics. This is the forward secondary turret. Again, lots of PE and brass barrels.

h88a070d.JPG

hcfeee87.JPG

And here is a close up of the aft deck crane and catapults.

h569a5aa.JPG

Back