• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Hungarian Pz.Kpfw. IV F1

Okay an update finally. I got my Dragon Pz IV F1 but did not start on it due to lack of time and other projects. Then I managed to get the new Tamiya Pz IV F1 and it arrived on Thursday. I have had a couple of good days of modeling and started this on Saturday.
Now some observations. I think the Dragon kit is the best but does have a lot of spare parts and some poor directions. For accuracy and configurability it is tops. The Border Models new kit is very nice and gives 3 options but has some short comings. You only get one door configuration for the engine deck. The turret has a step in it that is a pain to get rid of, specially when you add all the parts before realizing your mistake. The tow pintle is a later version and so requires conversion which isnt too difficult. Only one version has shirtzen yet the superstructure has the slots for the rails which require filling on a weld joint. It would have made more sense to have a solid deck and cutouts for that one version. The construction is way nicer and easier than the Dragon kit.
The new Tamiya's kit is pretty straight forward but they have simplified some of it and then made other parts more work. The armoured housing for the drive sprockets is in 2 pieces on the other kits and here its 3. The suspension is single piece yet multi piece of the other kits allowing you to variate the arms for more interest on rough ground. The Drivers vision port has no glass so you can see into the hull. I glued some sheet plastic behind it. The one bulkhead has the external angles supports included and I found it easy to bend them out of shape. I like the other kits where you glue them on separately. The tow pintle has no hole or tow pin. I drilled it out and used the pin from my Border Models disaster. There are some other little things like all the vision ports on the cupola are open and no other option. This would be a real good kit for a quicky build or for a beginner.
Okay here is yesterdays work.
full

full

full

full

full

And this mornings work.
full

full

full

full

Hopefully later today get the road wheels sanded and painted so I can do the tracks. Once they are done I can join the hull and deck and do the little bits and pieces.
James

Good going James, glad you got some bench time in. Interesting they made those assemblies with more parts, maybe to allow more variants?

Hate that you're having those issues but it sure looks like a good build from here. The "Stummel" or short 75 is a fave of mine

The Tub on the Tamiya kit is from the 90's Pz IV H kit, thus the fixed suspension, otherwise I think it's a good starting point. The DML kit is more detailed, but a PITA to build and not for the feint of heart, and of course, the directions are awful. I never build a DML kit without tons of references!

Okay, been a heck of a week. Today though I got the tracks done. Hopefully when I take the tape off they stay together and dont fall apart. Got more parts on Hopefully if all goes well tomorrow I can paint the tracks and then assemble the top and bottom. Trying to find a good pic of the Hungarian uniform to see if I am going to button up the top hatch or leave it open.
Got a bit on the Pz IV Ausf G as well as the fokker Tripes done today also.
full

full

full

James

Thanks Mike and Bob. Starting to get tired of Pz IVs but close to done. Tracks are coming slowly for the IV G and this one I hope to paint the tracks today. Tools for both are next.
James

Getting some decals on. Still a few more to go and then the weathering. Also need to glue top to bottom when tracks finished. A couple of pics with the Pz IV G which is still waiting for tracks and then weathering.
full

full

full

full

full

full

full

I'm a little bummed about the decals. They seem brittle and are not sitting as well as they should. Lots of Tamiya decal set strongbut with I had some gunze decal set left. Certainly colourful on a German Grey vehicle. I have another set of Hungarian decals which has a Stewart so might try to find one and do a Hungarian stewart in the new year. I'm at the end of my Pz IV interest now though so these will be the last for a while and then I have so many more to do.
James

Thanks Saul. Some good pics there I havent seen. The first one though is what I based my model on.
Still not sure what I am missing with the rear left decal besides the serial numbers which I still need to add Mike.
Unfortunately no modeling today. My son did buy me some mud with grass in it which I should be able to use on the tracks.
James

Apologies for not responding, we had a Christmas power outage. Jeff was probably affected as well.

James, Mike might be referring to the clear trim overhanging the smoke canister holder.
1608985803803.png

Regards,

Apologies for not responding, we had a Christmas power outage. Jeff was probably affected as well.

James, Mike might be referring to the clear trim overhanging the smoke canister holder.
View attachment 131787

Regards,
Okay I see. You cant even see it on the model. Will check it again. I kept staring at the rhomboid with mace but could not figure what was wrong..
Today get the serial numbers on the licenses and maybe get a dull coat on so I can do some of the lite weathering.

Back