• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

How is this track-armor secured to the tank?

iambrb

I see some pics of what appears to be welded brackets, but was wondering if these are perhaps tack-welded to the turret and hull?

stmGrS8.jpg

kEvkXBx.jpg

430R49h.jpg

I don't think there's one answer here.
First photo. The T49 tracks appear to have the link ends attached so it could have been hung on just a couple of mounting points. The T51s look to be just resting on top of that run of tracks. Same tracks on the front, they have a nice clearance with the guide horns giving it a sort of spaced armor protection. Again you see the end links in place. They could have had just a couple of mounting points that the tracks hooked on to.
Now for the side the T54E1 clearly have the end links in place and when you zoom in on that photo you can see some sort of rack attached to the side of the hull.

Second, on the transmission cover you see grousers suspended on some sort of angle iron mounting bracket. On the Lee tanks they had boxes installed there for the grousers. The T49s along the turret again have the end links in place and to me, it looks like the lead link end is threaded through something that is probably attached to the turret. Also notice the VERY thick plate bolted on covering the curvature of the cast hull. Again giving it that spaced armor protection. All that angle iron used to suspend that plate could have easily been fabricated into a mounting system.

3rd photo? Can't zoom in on it so maybe super glue?? :rotf

Short answer I can come up with it looks like some sort of field engineered bracket system put in place. I really don't think they would have welded the tracks themselves directly to the hull, it would make removing them a pain.

Thanks! I will use this to fabricate some brackets and I may try to fit some tack welds.
I think tack welding may have been used. A good smack with a sledgehammer eould dislodge them but no way to know

thanks doodz, keep the comments coming!!!

Sounds as though you have activated your inner Sherman MP! :hmm:
Thanks guys! brokeneagle, I am one of those guys that thinks the Sherman was actually not a very good tank, and there is plenty reason to think that. However, it was made in such great quantities and upgraded in such rapid order that it did become one of the most important vehicles in overall tank development, especially for 'Muricans like me!

I have a set of nine of the individual display boxes that you would see at Hobby Lobby that hold the majority of my builds, atop a bookcase. When these two are thru, four of the nine slots will be occupied by Shermans! Sometime in 2022 I will get around to starting a Firefly, because hey, can you have a collection of Shermans and no Firefly?

Looking pretty good. However, in the first pic, check your decals. Looks like a bit of silvering. That should be an easy fix.

I do like the look of those brackets.

Back