• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Have Dragon kits gone up in price (over the last year or so) for you guys?

Brokeneagle

Master at Arms
Dragon armour kits have nearly doubled in price down here in the land of Oz($ from here on in AUD). About 10 years ago they were between $40-55. Then they went to $60.00, then $70.00 about 4 years ago. Now they are $110-$125.
A RFM kit with a full interior is about $95 - $110, and looks exactly the same as the dragon kit but still has individual link track and the bonus interior.
That also brings me to another point, the flexible magic track that I have in some of my kits from their 67xx series has become brittle and is disintegrating. The problem being that in the 66xx series they gave you the really nice link track as well(so you had a choice).
Cost cutting?

I have noticed at the local hobby shop here in Memphis TN, that the armor prices have gone up at least on the dragon kits. I think the RFM and some others have popped up a bit in the last 6 months or so as well. As I just weeded down my stash by about 65% I am trying to only get some items I really want or some small items that might be easy quick builds. The items that I really want I either bite the bullet, or wait till someone has them on sale.

As to the "Magic Track", if that is the yellow rubbery track in some of the newer Dragon kits, I don't trust it. The first time I saw that "crap", I knew it would probably give all kinds of problems long term. I got one of the T-28 Super Heavy tanks. (the one that Terry MrT built a while back) and that kit has the yellow/orange tracks. Finally found out what those tracks actually were and bought some track sets. Also, one of the other modelers in my local group built up a kit and brought it to the last meeting. The kit had been in his storage space and the tracks had shrunk up about 3/4 of an inch (20mm). He had to cut them and hide the gap up under the fenders on the German Panther kit he built.

No,Dragon Magic Tracks are their indie tracks,the flexible ones are called DS Tracks or Dragon Styrene.
Its funny over the years I have had mixed results with them,I have 4-5 builds sitting on the shelf that have held up for a decade and look great,only one a Panther G has crumbled and broke on the build in one place.
I have several in my spares box which I didn't use and they look fine.So go figure.
But because of the inconsistencies I stopped using them.

Several years ago, I set out to buy kits I knew I would build and purchased many at shows and swap meets at heavily discounted prices, so yeah, the new prices scare the hell outta me. Makes me glad I had the good fortune to acquire a stash, it will keep me busy for awhile.
DS tracks are basically only good for making tracks in groundwork. :mpup

DS Tracks bad

Tamiya One piece,no problem for me when using on live track tanks like Shermans,never heard anything bad about other one piece tracks,although I no longer use on Soviet or German armor,a lot of times cost is a factor

I hadn't thought of that. Brilliant idea, I'll have to make sure to keep a couple sets of the rubber band tracks around (assuming I replace them).
I can't take credit for that trick, just passing it along. I remember saying bad words when trying to melt the posts on the old Tamiya rubber bands and had them pop back out as I stretched the track over the sprockets. Give me metal tracks or give me death (Magic Tracks are okay too though)

Several years ago, I set out to buy kits I knew I would build and purchased many at shows and swap meets at heavily discounted prices, so yeah, the new prices scare the hell outta me. Makes me glad I had the good fortune to acquire a stash, it will keep me busy for awhile.
DS tracks are basically only good for making tracks in groundwork. :mpup
Great Idea......I have been using my Tamiya rubber band ones but will put these DS tracks to use instead of throwing them away. I must selective sight for Tamiya track :bang head :vgood::wow:

I don't know about armor kits. Everything has gone way up. One example, I bought the airfix 1/72 wellington when it first released in 2018. I paid 36 for it. That same kit is now 43. The newest version is now 45. All this is form sprue Brothers.

Back