• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Hasegawa 1/32 scale Fw 190D-9 speed build.

matrixone

While I had many reference books out for the 1/72 scale Fw 190's that are being built I thought this is as good as any time to build a 1/32 scale Hasegawa D-9.

Box top

hc9a8b4b.JPG

contents

h8fbb896.JPG

Cockpit and engine plug have been assembled and painting has started on them.

he7e958a.JPG

The cockpit and engine plug were first painted gloss black, the cockpit parts were then painted RLM 66 black gray leaving the areas that would normally be in shadow barely painted over to keep those areas dark. The cockpit sides and I.P. were painted RLM 66 holding the airbrush at a steep angle from above leaving some of the black in the recessed areas still showing, this gives some nice depth to these parts with almost no effort at all.
The engine radiator was painted gloss black and then Chrome was sprayed over it in a similar way the cockpit parts were painted. The engine plug was painted exactly the same way as the radiator but some of the hoses and pipes will get some detail painting on them.

hbd6e1ba.JPG

Matrixone

This is such a well engineered kit a quick build is somewhat easy to do.

Still not decided about which D-9 to build, I am leaning towards building this one as one of the D-9's that was captured by the Red Army at the Focke-Wulf plant at Marienburg, several of those aircraft that were finished and ready for flight wore camouflage schemes with parts that had been pre-painted before assembly giving them a patchwork look.
The Red Banner Fleet did fly a few of these machines in combat in the last days of the war, the German markings were painted out and red stars painted on. There are a few photographs of these aircraft in Volume II of Jerry Crandall's Dora book.

Matrixone

That's one of only two FWs I've been able to complete. Really nice kit, patchwork scheme will be very interesting Les. :popcorn

I have one of these kits in my stash. (way too many in the stash as far as I am concerned these days) It will be good seeing your take on it Les!

:popcorn

Thanks for looking!

The cockpit and engine plug were detail painted and fuselage halves glued together. The engine plug will get some dirt/grime added to it using the airbrush with thick paint to add a spatter effect before I glue the wings on.

h15cda5f.JPG

h2842053.JPG

h53a40c9.JPG

Matrixone

Back