• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Go Big? 1/48 B-1B?

jeaton01

Since I have no idea when I first posted here I'll have to go with the largest kit in the collection. I would need some kind of a kick in the pants to build it anyway. I do have a place to put it, when I built my large display case I sized it to fit that model with the wings extended. I intend to build it with the wing slats and flaps down.

I may still be working on it ten years from now. :pilot

John I'm sure you'll do a great job on it. The nacelles had a nasty seam I remember and I had a lot of issues with the afterburner cans. I got the eduards ones, there was a set of resin ones out there at one time but I never could get my hands on them. I ended up just throwing it together to call it done. At least I did finish it.

Watching closely.

Bob, I have the Barracuda intakes and nozzles, and also some Cutting Edge nozzles in 1/48, so if they fit as they should I may be good there. There was a resin set for the flaps and slats too but it doesn't seem to be available right now. All the separate fuselage parts probably will raise some issues. I have more than one kit and might end up cutting one up to get the flaps and slats but that will be a lot of work.

You're sounding like me John, takes two kits to get one finished? I think it was the cutting edge stuff I couldn't get a hold of. I've seen one at a show where the builder obviously had first hand knowledge of the bomb bay because it was all tricked out in plumbing and details. I'll pull mine down to check but I think that seam between front and back fuselage mated up pretty well.

I have a soft spot for the Bone, my Dad made parts for them at NAR and in the 70s I worked for a company that made ultrasonic inspection equipment that the used to inspect the diffusion bonded titanium they used in the landing gear mounts. I got to see the ovens they used where they heated the parts to near the melting point in a vacuum then used a huge press to squeeze the parts together making two large blocks into one piece.

During my interview at Edwards AFB Way back in 2000, I got a tour of the B-1. There was no way I was going to turn down that job! Got a few funny stories out of that airframe.

Good Luck John!
:popcorn

I have done some searching and contacted the people that make the slat/flap conversion. They are planning another production run in the fall, hope it actually happens.

Last edited:
Back