• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Getting Ready for a Little Snow in Southern Applachia

Tojo72

They are calling for approx 6-12" in our area,not much compared to NJ where I used to live,and other parts of the country and the world, but I am looking forward to it,just hope it doesn't knock out power for my playoff games tomorrow.

Gotta go buy bread and milk like all the panicked folks 🙄

I just finished taking down Christmas decorations and mowing the yard. This storm isn't going to miss us, it's just a matter of how much we get.
Milk and bread, that was about the dumbest thing I had ever heard of when I moved here, there's plenty of other stuff we stock up on. If we lose power, we're still good (might be pretty bored, but good).

Trust me, stay home. Not that you can't drive in the snow it's all the southerners around you who can't drive in the snow.

We're hunkered down with a nice beef stew just cooked and the gas logs fired up. Doubt we'll get anything down here.

Yeah, we had to drive in ice and snow in Tulsa. They say we are going to get 3 inches here in Memphis. It will shut this place pretty much down. As Bob said, Southerners can't hardly drive when it is dry and sunny, forget about rain and snow let alone ice.

Worked on my guest room and unloaded 8 boxes of books on to my little metal shelving unit. Still have a few more books and another small shelving unit. Also worked on the monitor mount and got all the mods done to it. All it needs now is some paint, but not going to do that right now with the cold and damp hanging around. Keep warm folks!

We got freezing rain right now, got ice accumulating on the ground, concrete drive is slick as...well ice. They are calling for snow later this afternoon. I hear that some back in Greenwood are out of power.
I got the Beef Stew back in the crock pot and cornbread. I'm not going no wheres.... 🌨️
And it's going to be in the 50s tomorrow!

Goes without saying...
IMG_2423.JPG

Well the great ice storm of 22 has passed. Didn't need to chop up furniture to burn for firewood, all the animals survived with minimal discomfort.

NE0Ev9o5np36Yz2Cxz0IOIWv4TXH-AGA93aer_5pY9_gH5XzTL75Q0fVTNeqyEj2dviVCAda1ZMsL4jjSl7qsv7L6p7revTN6xktmT35gRC_ZrO8PC-akquJdg3yoQxQCXg5q2vlKNkxlRTJrm3z1pg488WMh7nD0cbArjL6Y6JDtr5ZwFfbOMTqiOZYanRdsRWLIlQ_heQmiAOFHJFsF120I0qy2gpJc8idqUMQr8bm_c9tiJ4MkPHDVlQD35NJdJnkSMHMdr03qQDG-q9Z7Tq6Z8gCOqLdKek1YIl5FNB_FTZH5tgzy-w3Hums6BKgE4lctMOWoIvp-R_YVZ-7CLoGgiR04s9LAi9UbkM72bwa8fJlKomju-9nNdJKVTCqNrrXJJsXcR8tAibxFqqdCMnmBaie10JQTywZeBtRCzXdx8UiOUlKPtlp_vnQqYSxrpf8QYvQN9uhHESb0WLGV1tAzRw3fB7nNIIX7Fmfb4U0PcPNIQCLFTFZ_B7tX-1twNhLo2FExFSY7_bRFKKwIN0uNfFtnoF26XOnZup-IypxLGg3qel-mea-Fpz1x7AuowqrxNNDHpQhFn2b7TwDYkLipCmQuH417Mm59ge_1dahQJMFDSny2hvcF2snr7j8oOqM9l0QIQhAx0JKatEDQxLhvg_TdN8dQKR4dnV7UmI7_1ujvXdtRUC0uqfQjiGO2g8fkkywM0jXx7K1C9qVFokSAQ=w1190-h893-no

Roads are already dried out, we just have a cold wind now. It'll be 50s this week but they are calling for snow again next weekend.

We did good,got 10", but I don't need to go anywhere,very pretty,did some shoveling yesterday.Wednesday will be 50,but will be cold after that.

Last edited:
One thing after another for me... snowed twice, then freezing rain, then snow just so that Mother Nature shows me who is number one (using her middle finger). Of course, this happened right after my "issue with tissue" afterwards which the ceiling underneath leaked. I took the toilet off and back on to make sure it was installed properly (it was). Got angry as I realized I have a problem with a pipe. Since the plumber would tear into the ceiling of the lower bathroom (directly under the upper bathroom) I asked myself, aren't I a plastic modeler? Don't I cut, measure, attach, cover seams, prime, and paint? Soooooo, what is the difference in ripping the ceiling afterwards? Long story short, cut out a rectangle, found the cracked copper drain pipe (no pressurized water there) and repaired with the correct putty, primed it, and it seems to be working. Next week, if all is well, I'll repair the ceiling. Today, I found out fow fast I can go from vertical to horizontal on the ice... twice!

Regards from this retard,

Saul you puttying over a copper drain pipe? I've not heard of a copper drain pipe. Might be a yankee thing, I don't know. I think I would be cutting out the offending pipe and replacing it.
@Rhino what's your thoughts here?

I'd have gotten some brass or copper sheet, formed the sheet around the pipe and soldered it over. Plastic is a different story.

Saul you puttying over a copper drain pipe? I've not heard of a copper drain pipe.

I'd have gotten some brass or copper sheet, formed the sheet around the pipe and soldered it over. Plastic is a different story.
Turns out it was brass but there is an epoxy putty designed for this type of repair on drain pipes (obviously not supply pipes). No pressure in it at all so it is working fine. Letting it cure a few days before fixing the ceiling.

il_fullxfull.1562471587_fo1k.jpg

@Rhino, you're a plumber? :D Lots of handy people here, I am NOT one of them!

Regards,

Saul you puttying over a copper drain pipe? I've not heard of a copper drain pipe. Might be a yankee thing, I don't know. I think I would be cutting out the offending pipe and replacing it.
@Rhino what's your thoughts here?
Older homes (1960's) were piped in copper for the drains and galvanized iron pipe for the water supply. It is commonplace for areas where wastes don't drain readily to corrode more readily than the rest of the drainage. Usually a professional would cut out the offending old copper pipe using a neoprene Fernco gasket, then pipe the repair in PVC (poly vinyl chloride) plastic pipe.
It sounds like Saul made a suitable repair this time. Additional attention may well be required in the not too distant future.
Such a leak is oftentimes likened to wiping your backside on a hoop. There's no end to it.

Back