• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

FW-190A-6 Green 3 JG300 - Complete

Greetings fellow modelers!

I’m back with an quick update on the Butcher Bird. The pin wash has been completed. I used four different shades from Ammo’s PLW range.

PLW Orange Brown over the yellow under cowl
PLW Blue Grey over the RLM76 on the bottom of the airplane
PLW Deep Grey over the fuselage sides
PLW Black Night over the RLM 74/75

Generally it turned out pretty well. I painted the wash over the panel lines and rivets and after about 20 minutes I wiped the excess away with a paper towel. I had a hard time getting the wash to stay in the rivet lines. I suspect there is some inconsistency in Edward’s molds creating differing depths. I may have also been a little heavy handed with the paint in some areas, which also probably contributed. Next time I may try to deepen the rivets a little bit to help with the wash.

After the wash cured for a few days, I sealed it in with a coat of Vallejo Satin Varnish.

Post 6_1.jpg

Post 6_2.jpg

Post 6_3.jpg

In general the washes are pretty subtle, which I think is the point of the Ammo line, but I really like how it turned out.

Crossed off another step on the to do list. This one is getting close to the end. I hope every one is still safe and sound, and being smart in these crazy times.

Thanks for looking
Mike

Last edited:
So far so good Mike!
thumbsup.gif

I am at about the same stage with an ancient TriMaster kit. The decals are having some issues, but I have figured out how to handle them and things are moving along well now. I also chose to use a stencil for the upper wing markings on mine as well. The trick was trying to match the off white of the other white decals. Definitely better than a big chunk of decal in that area.

I’m back with a little progress. When we last left there wasn’t much left to go. Unfortunately I didn’t do a great job of documenting the finish. Basically I painted the landing gear with Mr. Color paints, RLM 02 and RLM 76 for the gear doors. I painted and installed the landing gear wheels, which came from Ultracast. The propeller was already painted in Mr. Color RLM 70 and tried to break up its monotone color with a splatter wash that really didn’t turn out as well as I liked. No worries, tried something new, it didn’t work as well as I had hoped. Exhaust staining was painted using a mix of Tamiya Brown and Black. The metal gun barrels were painted in gunmetal and installed and the fuel tank was also installed, thus completing the build. I forgot to add the antenna wire before I painted the model and in the end I didn’t want to risk scratching things up. On to the pictures.

Post 7_1.jpg

Post 7_2.jpg

Post 7_3.jpg

Post 7_4.jpg

Post 7_5.jpg

Overall I’m ok with the result. There are a few goofs and a couple of things I tired out that didn’t work out as I had hoped. But over all I think its pretty good.

Its been a while since I actually got something finished, I have to admit, feels pretty good. Hopefully I keep the momentum going.

Thanks for looking in, and as always questions and comments are always welcome.

Mike

Looks great Mike, very nice.:vgood:
Just wondering if you are going to add a finaly weathering layer over the decals in the form of a wash and some subtle paint chipping?

Ian.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm really just going to stick with this one being done. I was using it as a bit of a test bed for a much more detailed build coming up in the near future, somewhat inspired by Ian's great diorama's and paintings. This one did its job and I am happy with what I learned. Plus I can say that I actually got an Eduard FW190 built, which has been a significant challenge!

Mike

Back