• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Flak Tower

Ted

I started with the tower today. I made molds from foam-core and poured plaster of paris with some steel wire for structure. It'll be about 7" tall once it's finished to give a feeling of height.

IMG_8224.jpg

IMG_8185.jpg

IMG_8229.jpg

IMG_8228.jpg

IMG_8226.jpg

IMG_8227.jpg

IMG_8222.jpg

AABerlin.jpg

Well Ted , this is looking mighty fine so far . Now you have studied the photo more than we have but is the patterned area outside of the wooden pedestal , floor level ammo boxes ? It looks like it doesn't it ? specially there is one in the block further away that looks like it is pulled out .

Jenny :kiss:

Thanks Mike and Jenny! I'm guessing that those are probably covers for ammo storage. I don't know if they're wood or sheet metal and I don't know if the slots are punched all the way through the material but I'll put something in the dio to represent them anyway. It looks like reloading this gun was a full time job for two people.

Great project. I've seen these photos before and would love to do a similar build. The photo looks like the gun is more of a gray color to me. Are you planning on leaving yours in dark yellow?

Thanks guys.

I noticed that colour too after I painted it. Now that the guns are glued on I'll leave it yellow.

Thanks for the info Johnny, much appreciated. A friend at work mentioned that there is another book entirely about flak towers during the war but I haven't seen it.

Back