• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

First armour attack by the NVA on US led forces

Piet

The Attack on the U.S. Special Forces Camp at Lang Vei, manned by Detachment A-101 of the 5th Special Forces Group and indigenous Civilian Irregular Defense Group (CIDG) forces. On 6 February 1968 , the 24th Regiment, again supported by the 198th Tank Battalion, launched their assault on Lang Vei. Despite air and artillery support, the U.S.-led forces conceded ground and the PAVN quickly dominated their positions. By the early hours of 7 February the command bunker was the only position still held by Allied forces. To rescue the American survivors inside the Lang Vei Camp, a counterattack was mounted, but the Laotian soldiers who formed the bulk of the attack formation refused to fight the PAVN. Later on, U.S. Special Forces personnel were able to escape from the camp, and were rescued by a U.S. Marine task force from Khe Sanh Combat Base.

Going to create this scene ,
Lang-Vei-Painting-1 (1).jpg

PT-76 tank is from Trumpeter with some added scratch detail ,it got all it basic paint and chips still needs to be weatherd .
Concrete Tower is made from Plaster (you know ho i do this )
Barrels are resin copies that i have made ,
Blue foam wil be cover with Apoxie Sculpt sandbags .
Hoe Lang is een chinees 006.JPG
Hoe Lang is een chinees 007.JPG
Hoe Lang is een chinees 008.JPG
Hoe Lang is een chinees 010.JPG
Hoe Lang is een chinees 011.JPG
Hoe Lang is een chinees 012.JPG
Hoe Lang is een chinees 013.JPG
Hoe Lang is een chinees 016.JPG
Hoe Lang is een chinees 001.JPG
Hoe Lang is een chinees 003.JPG
Hoe Lang is een chinees 004.JPG

That's it for now.

Great theme but you seem to have a lot of work with sand bags and barrels out of view under the tank, never to be seen again ? many could be salvaged and replaced by rocks and no one would ever know ? :)

Great theme but you seem to have a lot of work with sand bags and barrels out of view under the tank, never to be seen again ? many could be salvaged and replaced by rocks and no one would ever know ? :)
Paddy :vgood:
No worries i got plenty of barrels ,i made moulds for them as long i have resin i can cast .
The same i have for ammo boxes .
6 Barrel of fun 017.JPG
7 Barrel of fun 011.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh thats fine, as long as you are not paying $15 for 6 barrels and a couple of jerry cans from Tamiya :)

All those cool barrels and not one monkey in sight. :lol:
Does the story that goes with the picture say if the PT-76 is still in action?

No it doesn't say anything , the PT-76 in the painting isn't that accurate also especially in the rear (its simplified )
I think the painter never seen a real one / or a good photo of it .
And i cant find any period pics ,only aerial taken pics and one with the bunker completely destroyed.
All the other are from later in the war ,so i am using artistic licence with this one .

Last edited:
So it isn't just me! Bravo Piet!
I find it ironic an amphibious Soviet-made APC "ran aground" on a big pile of sandbags & barrels in Vietnam.

Back