• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Fine Molds 1/48 A5M4

jeaton01

This is the Fine Molds 1/48 A5M4 Claude, Jiro Horikoshi's first design that went into production.

I did some research on the A5M4 whose markings I chose, and am quite sure but not positive that it was on the Zuiho, a light carrier in the 3rd carrier division during the battle of Midway, June 4-7, 1942, where it played only a peripheral role. At that time the Zuiho's complement included 6 A5M's. This would most likely be the last carrier combat assignment for the A5M, and in contrast to what I have read before that there were no carrier based A5M's after December 7, 1941. The Shoho was also carrying A5M's when she was sunk at the battle of the Coral Sea on May7 1942.

The interior built up easily with lots of detail, although I have done better work on instrument panel decals. The rest of the model had great fit. I painted it with Alclad II ALC 101, interior is Gunze Mr Color 126 Mitsubishi Interior Green, with details done with Tamiya acrylics. Eduard seat belts.

0011a5m.jpg

0061a5m.jpg

0071a5m.jpg

0081a5m.jpg

0111a5m.jpg

0131a5m.jpg

0141a5m.jpg

0151a5m.jpg

0161a5m.jpg

0171a5m.jpg

0191a5m.jpg

0251a5m.jpg

With an A6M2 Zero in Saburo Sakai’s markings.

0271a5m.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty cool little bird, thanks for sharing John. Might want to check how that decal traverses from the cowl to the fuselage on the port side. I'd lke to try some more of these Fine Model kits. I really enjoyed the 109 I built. This looks like it went together well. :pilot

1588456913542.png

Could be optical illusion but looks like the decail film jumps over the gap between the cowling and fuselage.

Oh, I see. The cowl decal was a bit too long, and I thought I had it wrapped under the cowl flap but that side must have straightened out and I didn't see it. All trimmed up now, thanks. The cowl section is a separate decal, which brings in an alignment problem which I handled by temporarily putting the engine and cowl on to line the cowl section up with the decal on the fuselage. Then I had to make sure that the cowl was finally glued on in the correct rotation so the decals still lined up. I had to repair the fuselage stripe where the yellow strip is on the right side because the red had a gap where the yellow went and I didn't quite get the left stripe in the same position with the right one, fore and aft. Fortunately Tamiya red was a good match for the stripe.

Very nice. I see a bunch of these Fine Molds in my future after I get his book.

Thanks, Warren.

Someone smarter than me posted a nice page where the tail codes were deciphered, turns out this airplane was on the Shoho, so its remains may lay under the Coral Sea where the Shoho went down.

Edit: The right carrier is the Hosho, and it participated in the Battle of Midway but wasn't in the main battle. Managed to get home unscathed. So my A5M most likely ended up back in Japan, and may have become a Kamikaze ride.

Last edited:
Super nice Claude! It must have felt like a suicide mission having to fly an A5M4 into combat as late as June, 1942, but I think some of them actually ended up being used as Kamikazes later in the war.

Thanks Rob. Note that I updated the post before yours. I seem to be having trouble keeping the Hosho and Shoho strtaight!

Back