• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

F4U-4

ij001

Just bringing this all together. The Hobbyboss kit, a Superscale sheet, maybe an Eduard Zoom-set and other assorted bits'n bobs.

At the end of the project, it hopefully will look a little like this:

hdad78ba.jpg

h0294030.jpg

he4149db.jpg

My first-ever F4U kit was this 1974 Matchbox release - at the time, of course, I had no concept of the different Corsair versions, nor that the green stripes denoted a 'trainer'. But it made a deep, deep impression on the eleven-year-old me, and last year, quite by accident, I found the sheet whilst browsing thru the Hannants catalogue... 'took me all of three milliseconds to decide to buy it !!

This will be built side-by-side with the Tamiya -1A, more of that in its' own thread. Stand-by I'll be commencing cutting, gluing, painting and cursing in the very near future.

Comments, questions and criticisms are warmly encouraged along the way.

AFN

Ian

Got a history lesson myself, didn't know about the green stripe, not a bad looking scheme. :popcorn

I hate to sound negative here but really ? A Matchbox kit in a day and age where so much more is available .

Are you just reminiscing ?

Cheers, Christian B)

Just to clarify.... I'm building the 1:48 Hobbyboss kit, but the scheme is from VMT-1 essentially the same as the Matchbox kit from 1974.

Ian

Ah , my mistake. I see more hope on the horizon :good:

Cheers, Christian

:rotf erm.... Not much pressure then, Chris ?? :pilot . Looking forward to getting started. Finally decided that the only 'extras' I'm going to use are some etched seat harnesses and Ultracast (late) resin wheels. I'll be ordering them this evening.

Ian

I had one of those centuries ago. It never turned out as nice but then it was busy in the war. Cant wait to see it again

Got the outer wings done today whilst the Daddies little Stormtroopers are at Holiday Club for a few hours. This Hobbyboss kit is much more detailed than the Tamiya kit and doesn't fit quite as well, but no serious problems encountered just yet.

h4fed1ce.JPG

h7e325fc.JPG

All the doors over the gun-bays fit snugly following a couple of swipes with a sanding stick. Each flap section is divided lower & upper just like the Tamiya kit, but unlike the Tamiya kit this one has all five control surfaces as separate sub assemblies, saves a lot of time and knife blades I can tell you :pinch: .

Here's the fuselage halves for both kits, and the completed outer wings side-by side.

h78d04e3.JPG

Apologies for the awful pics, used my phone and it really cannot cope with anything but 'perfect' lighting. Next for the -4 is to move in to the cockpit and start some old school dry-brushing and oil washing. Next update hopefully on Thurs afternoon.

AFN

Ian

Been busy searching for more pics on Google & Bing and found this profile last night:

haed032f.jpg

Very helpful as I had no idea that the underside bands were broken in this way. Going to be way too much of a challenge to get the green/white decals for the wings to sit down over the dropped flaps so have decided to spray/mask all the stripes, will mean that I also have control over the continuity of the colour - not going to be easy, but that's part of the attraction of doing this particular machine.

If you read the update in my Kiwi Corsair thread, you'll see that this project is going to take priority, and to that end I've started 'colouring-in' the 'pit. Not worth posting any photos just yet as I've only done the basic colours, (Daddies 'ickle Stormtroopers have been on 'winter break' for the last two weeks so virtually no bench time). This coming week should generate more progress, so please stay tuned.

AFN

Ian

Back