• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Dioramas for dummies?

I need something like that.
I'm interested in learning how to make a diorama.
Can anyone point me in the direction to a source for dummies...er... beginners? :blink

Oooh, oooh! Me too!!! I've got Paine Shepard's book, but SBS with pix would be better!

BLACK SHEEP,

I agree with Iron Mike - Shep Paines' book is th BIBLE. I've had a copy that I STILL regularly dip into & I've had since 7th Grade ( '83 ) Find it. Read it. Live it ! :) That and any of Verlinden's early Dio books.

Shep's book will be easier to find !! It's th Fundementals of Diorama building - (IMHO )

ERIK

My personal tips

a) plan exactly what your aim is with the diorama . People usually view a diorama from left to right as if they were reading , so make the main viewing angle (the side you want to show in a competition, showcase or where a name plaque is ) with the story unfolding from that perspective .

b) keep it compact (i detail every square inch of my dioramas so the less empty ground the better . Most of my vehicles overhang the edges .

c) try to keep variation in height , flat ground is far less common , specially on battlegrounds .

d) Vary the groundcover , paddocks are not uniform grass types, height or colour .

e) Research the environment of the battlefield , if the battle was fought in hedgerows , then study the hedgerows in travel blogs etc of that area , get a feel for that area , make the diorama feel like a cold russian village if that is where it portrays .

f) Get inspiration from as many sources , study war time photos , read model magazines and product catalogues . I find the Verlinden Catalogue inspires just with the diorama accessories they carry . Study your favourite Modellers , our own Bob Letterman is a true master of dioramas and while I would not suggest to work on his magnitude of size , his techniques are pure inspiration .

Hope these help

Jenny :kiss:

Those were good tips from Jenny. I agree that the best book out there for How-to is the Kalmbach book "How to Build Dioramas" by Shepherd Paine. Although published 30 years ago, it is still the best. Also, this site is a great primer. You will find many Step by step articles in the tank, diorama and masterclass forums.

There are a lot of helpful, friendly modelers on this site, so, enjoy!

Bob

one thing to avoid is symetry it will destroy a otherwise good dio. Although there has too be balance . I would personally try to achieve chaotic balance .......but above all else it must tell a story ....... no if ands or buts the story must be clear .

I want to thank everyone for their comments and advice.
I have ordered Shep Paine's book and Amazon.com just confirmed shipment of the book (yeah!).

I'm constantly looking and inspired by the events of WWII.
The Military Channel is constantly on in my apt.!
But I'm used to looking at things "from the air" so to speak, I refer to researching thing from the aviation standpoint and I must admit, jumping into the realm or armor and ground transports is a whole new (and challenging) game to me. I look forward to engaging in this activity.

"Tanks" everyone.
:)

Here you got a couple of links about dioramas:

http://elladan.de/Index.htm

http://www.stormthecastle.com/mainpages/dioramas/diorama_tutorial1.htm

I hope it helps

Darío

:) Wouldn't disagree with anything said and you have definately got the right 'starter' book. I have used the Shep Paine book since I was 16. Simple and easy to follow.
As Bob and Jenny have said plan before taking the plunge.
The only additional advice that I would add is to do with texture.
For me texture is the 'finisher' and adds the detail to the plain sufaces. Texture should be considered for ground, building and other details you have 'lying around'. This will detail and add interest to the boring areas and bring your dio to life. A common mistake for beginners is to steer away from the ground work, but this area of the dio should be detailed as much as the main model/s being placed in it or they do not tie in together and the model looks as though it was 'air-lifted -in'.

Good luck
Ian.

Yes, I just received Shep Paine's book in the mail today.

Just browsing through this book I realize that there is a whole lot of stuff to learn and master (besides building the model) before one goes into dioramas.
I'm gonna give it shot anyways (I never back away from a good challenge). :woohoo:

BLACK SHEEP,

Don't let all of the stuff in Shep's book over whelm you. Just read thought it and take pieces at a time. I agree with JENNY & everyone else. Plan & even draw out on the Base what you want to do. Follow Shep's steps & you can't go wrong. I also agree with BROKEN EAGLE - Texture is the Name of the game ! you should spend as much if not more time on the Diorama base - (Landscape & Buildings ) As you do your models. Remember Real Life scale. Don't try to Jam a lot of Vehicles on the base that may be opposing sides. As side from th Battle of Kursk , Panzers really didn't get that close when Engaging.

Good Luck, & remember We're ALL here to help ya as you go along. So feel free to Ask questions , The only Dumb Question is the One Never asked !! I look forward to seeing your Stuff !!

ERIK

Back