• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Curtiss Hawk 75 LeLv.32, Academy 1/48

dewertus

And here is the model that I have built over the past few months - supposedly simple and it seemed to be that fast kit, but the continuing lack of time was stretching work impossibly...

After the fall of France, Germany agreed to sell captured Curtiss Hawk fighters to Finland in October 1940. In total, 44 captured aircraft were sold to Finland with three deliveries from 23 June 1941 to 5 January 1944. Not all were from the French stocks, but some were initially sold to Norway and captured in their wooden crates when the Germans conquered the country. The aircraft were given serial codes CU-551 to CU-585.

In Finnish service, the Hawk was well-liked, affectionately called Sussu 'Sweetheart'. The Finnish Air Force enjoyed success with the type, credited with 190 1/3 kills by 58 pilots, from 1941-44. The top Hawk ace K. Tervo scored 15 3/4 victories. The Hawks were flown by Lentolaivue 32 throughout their wartime operational service.

CU-556 is a "special" plane - he open and close list of combat aerial victories over Soviet warplanes for Hawks (first victory made by Maj. Olavi Ehrnrooth, I-153, 16.07.1941; last victory made by Lt. Jorma Pesola, Po-2, 27.07.1944) and was the only documented aircraft in the Finnish Air Force, that for some unknown reason, had the swastikas on the wings painted in the mirror position. In total on CU-556 10 pilots shot down 13 Soviet planes (including three victories of the top Hawk's ace Kalevi Tervo: 1x Pe-2 and 2x LaGG-3).

AWOF_23-19_H-75A.jpg

CU_556_1.JPG

YKzsSVRhn7OTk0EqNL2B-y2aM4PDNfG7URAQpM-ZIL_12L1lKw=w910-h766-no

DSCF9414.JPG

DSCF9437.JPG

DSCF9439.JPG

DSCF9469.JPG

DSCF9470.JPG

DSCF9476.JPG

DSCF9472.JPG

DSCF0057.JPG

DSCF0054.JPG

DSCF0053.JPG

DSCF0076.JPG

DSCF0789.JPG

DSCF0791.JPG

DSCF0790.JPG

DSCF0795.JPG

DSCF0798.JPG

DSCF0798.JPG

DSCF0802.JPG

DSCF0819.JPG

DSCF0820.JPG

DSCF0821.JPG

DSCF0822.JPG

DSCF0823.JPG

DSCF0836.JPG

DSCF0829.JPG

DSCF0833.JPG

DSCF0830.JPG

DSCF0837.JPG

Beautiful Job! Excellent! :notworthy :notworthy

May I ask you which paints did you use, specially for the interior? I am looking for French WWII acrylic colours no luck so far. Thanks!

Alex

May I ask you which paints did you use, specially for the interior? I am looking for French WWII acrylic colours no luck so far.

Hi Alex,

While I don't know which paints Hubert used (probably Agama), the colors are for a Curtiss built Hawk. French colors would be quite different. Here is a link with actual color samples:

http://memorial.flight.free.fr/nuancier.html

As for who makes acrylic paints, many of the colors you need are available in the UA range from LifeColor.

French aircraft cockpit interiors for most bombers and twin-engine craft was Chamois, a buff color. An exception being the Potez 63 twin-engine series which had interior & cockpits painted Bleu de Nuit.

Fighters used Bleu de Nuit, a very dark blue similar to the blue used on post WW2 USN jets. The Pomme Vert green might have been used on some interior components instead of Chamois.

Some aircraft, like the Caudron fighters, had the cockpit painted Dark Blue Grey, one of the exterior camouflage colors. Note that we are only talking about cockpit interiors.

Interiors of wheel wells, flaps, wings, engine covers, etc., were painted Chamois.

Regards,

May I ask you which paints did you use, specially for the interior? I am looking for French WWII acrylic colours no luck so far.

Hi Alex,

While I don't know which paints Hubert used (probably Agama), the colors are for a Curtiss built Hawk. French colors would be quite different. Here is a link with actual color samples:

http://memorial.flight.free.fr/nuancier.html

As for who makes acrylic paints, many of the colors you need are available in the UA range from LifeColor.

French aircraft cockpit interiors for most bombers and twin-engine craft was Chamois, a buff color. An exception being the Potez 63 twin-engine series which had interior & cockpits painted Bleu de Nuit.

Fighters used Bleu de Nuit, a very dark blue similar to the blue used on post WW2 USN jets. The Pomme Vert green might have been used on some interior components instead of Chamois.

Some aircraft, like the Caudron fighters, had the cockpit painted Dark Blue Grey, one of the exterior
camouflage colors. Note that we are only talking about cockpit interiors.

Interiors of wheel wells, flaps, wings, engine covers, etc., were painted Chamois.

Regards,

Saul,
Hawk is a US aircraft...

All Hawks has same colours in internal parts - you should use a Zinc Chromate Green in version made by Berry Brothers for Curtis: Curtiss Cockpit Green. This colour was a standard Zinc Chromate + black enamel + aluminium powder / paste. The problem is that nowhere was given information in what proportion they should be added. Therefore, each production series had a different shade... So you can use any colour similar to Zinc Chromate Green :eek:hyeah And remember that section under rear windows were silver/aluminium (in aircrafts send to France and Norway).

Saul, Hawk is a US aircraft...

Of course Hubert, that is why I answered Alex that the Hawk was a Curtiss built aircraft, so it must have US colors although they did try to color match their customers requests.

My link and information are for, as stated, French made aircraft.

By the way, have you seen these images?

h75int.jpg

h75int2.jpg

h75int3.jpg

h75int4.jpg

Also, note these color images (French and NMF Iranian):

d_1coul.jpg

116808481.jpg

The blue you see is the anodized metal used by Curtiss.

Regards,

Thank you very much Saul and Hubert. I will look into the UA range and see what I can find. I have many WWII French planes and I have used the enamel white ensign colors before, but I am converting into acrylics now.

Cheers

Alex

P.S. You wouldn't have by chance a list of the FS equivalent of these French colors would you? I would greatly appreciate it!

If you do it, there are ready paints for it but don't forget the Norwegian flag (aileron) used to get this one flying prior to final preparation for export.

Actual Norwegian Hawk...
CurtissH75-A8HAWK.jpg

Regards,

Hey Saul

Thank you so much! I will indeed Bookmark that page from IPMS Stockholm. That will help me a lot. I have converted almost all my paints already but I still have questions on some Italian and Japanese ones. Still Need to find all the equivalents for the Russian Colors (do you have them as welll??)

Much appreciated! (y) (y)

Cheers

Alex

Back