• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Classic Airframes SM.79

sharkman

Master at Arms
Our local club is having their yearly contest build so I'm entering this one.

IMG_4547.JPG

Bought this second hand and there were a few small resin pieces missing so I'm going to have to make a few.

IMG_4548.JPG

Going to build it as a torpedo bomber and decided on 254-1 (the middle one)

IMG_4553.JPG

Also got a Sky Decals sheet, an Alpha Flight resin torpedo and some True Details wheels since it only came with one!

IMG_4552.JPG

IMG_4551.JPG

I got a start on it the last few days with some cut outs to the body and gluing the main wing together

IMG_4549.JPG

IMG_4550.JPG

Since I'm going to have a few things open, I thought I'd scratch a bit of the interior.

IMG_4555.JPG

And fixed up the pit. Added some aluminum tape seats belts, scratched new columns and wheels and the port bulkhead.

IMG_4556.JPG

IMG_4557.JPG

IMG_4558.JPG

Next will be to add some paint!

Looking good Warren! I have always like the SM79. It is such a good looking plane. Have the Trumpeter mess in my stash and keep hoping that HPH will finally finish their 1/32 one and release it.

WOW very nice. I love this bird, just so interesting. Nice detailing. Cant wait to see her in paint and that torp slung underneath.
James

I just got the Eduard kit and it has some upgrades on the resin parts. I will also probably get the AM PE sets for the undercarriage, rear fuselage, and bomb bay.
If anyone has one of the old Classic Airframes kits, I ended up with an extra set of the instrument panel and PE from above. Let me know if you need it.

People have said not very nice things about this kit. You certainly seem to have it mastered and then some!
Bravo!

People have said not very nice things about this kit. You certainly seem to have it mastered and then some!
Bravo!

I don't see why Chris, it is a beautiful kit! The resin is nice! It's certainly not a Tamiya/Hasegawa!

I might look at some of those additions Saul for the second one I have in the stash. I've seen some people go all out and make an entire interior framing for this kit on Stormo! I likely won't ever go that far.

It's kinda like a BF-109 though, there are so many cool paint schemes for this plane.....I could see myself getting another if Special Hobby puts one out again (I may add a third to the stash)! :coolio2:

Had to sand and fiddle with the canopy and though it will be hard to see, i tried building a rudimentary support structure behind the seats

IMG_6943.JPG

IMG_6944.JPG

IMG_6949.JPG

Fill and sanding is ok on this plane, as most of the join surfaces are flat with very little detail so you don't have to be overly concerned with losing any. There is quite a bit though!

IMG_6946.JPG

I kept the little doors I had cut off and ground them down to poise them open. I think the new kit Paul was showing has them in resin

IMG_6947.JPG

IMG_6948.JPG

Added some detail to the wells. these are inaccurate as the wheel would not have the space to retract.

IMG_6950.JPG

My kit had a chip in the tail so I repaired that with a small piece of sprue

IMG_6951.JPG

IMG_6952.JPG

Painted up the engines,

IMG_6953.JPG

And a second round of putty!

IMG_6954.JPG

Back