• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

CF-104D Mk. I Starfighter

RichB

Growing up around CFB Cold Lake, the sights and sounds of the CF-104 were all too familiar. Whether it was the sight of the slim fuselage and vestigial wings, the ubiquitous smoke trail or the mournful howl of a J-79 during a nighttime -30[sup]0[/sup] engine run, it will never be forgotten.

104night.jpg

It was one of the types my Dad worked on during his 30 year RCAF/CAF career. As a fledgling Instrumentation Designer at AETE, the CF-104 was the first aircraft I worked on. I spent the better part of an afternoon in the ammunition bay measuring it for a test equipment installation.

Starfighter01.jpg

Starfighter02.jpg

So, starting with the 1/48 Hasegawa JASDF F-104DJ and some Leading Edge Decals,

Sart1.jpg

we will hopefully end up with CF104646 as she was near the end of her career with AETE.

Starfighter.jpg

She was built at Lockheed in Palmdale, Ca and TOS by the RCAF on 18 Mar 1963 as 12646. Her first assignment was with No. 6 Strike/Reconnaissance OTU at RCAF Station Cold Lake. She later transferred to 448 (Test) Squadron also at Cold Lake. With CF unification, she was renumbered as 104646 in July 1970 while on strength at AETE. Her last missions at AETE were as a chase plane during CF-188 testing in 1983. She was to have retired earlier, but the CF-104 was the only aircraft in the CAF with the speed to operate as a photo/safety chase for CF-188 testing in the high-speed regime. Once completing her duties, she was to be the last CF operated Starfighter to fly in Canada when ferried from Cold Lake to Trenton and retirement from active duty on 17 Oct 1983. She was recalled to service as an instructional airframe before being transferred to the National Air Force Museum in Trenton in 1995 and final retirement.

Cheers,
Rich

What is AETE?

Really looking forward to this, especially nice with the personal touch.

:popcorn

Aerospace Engineering Test Establishment, we are the flight test and evaluation agency for the Canadian Forces conducting flight and ground testing on aircraft, weapons and systems. Think Edwards AFB, Eglin AFB, NAS Pax River and NAWS China Lake.

Cheers,
Rich

Ah...so that's why y'all hung snake-eyes and 2.75s off the blowtorch. Just to prove it could be done? It never really took on a A2G role did it?

The original role for our Starfighters was nuclear strike and reconnaissance with the radar optimized for Air to Ground. In the 1970's we converted to the conventional strike role, re-installing the gun and carrying Mk.82's, CRV-7's and BL-755's for tactical air support.

Cheers,
Rich

The original role for our Starfighters was nuclear strike and reconnaissance with the radar optimized for Air to Ground. In the 1970's we converted to the conventional strike role, re-installing the gun and carrying Mk.82's, CRV-7's and BL-755's for tactical air support.

Cheers,
Rich

:facepalm

If I remember half what I knew I'd be smart fella.

I always wondered how these single seat fighters got around the "Two Man"concept regarding nukes.

I have always admired this beautiful Lockheed airframe :D .

Always ready to shock an unsuspecting bystander like someone driving a bright yellow beetle along a German ridge :rotf .

Following this one :popcorn

Nothing like the Widow Maker. So cool. I got to do parks and starts a couple of times and recovered some from crash sites.
James

Cheers,
Rich

:facepalm

If I remember half what I knew I'd be smart fella.

I always wondered how these single seat fighters got around the "Two Man"concept regarding nukes.

The CF-104D couldn't carry nuclear weapons as they didn't have a centreline pylon. They only had the wing pylons and then only carried conventional weapons. All our European based squadrons used the single seat CF-104 to toss bomb nukes and for photo-recce.

Cheers,
Rich

Got a bit of time in on this. I will have to scratch build the upper halves of the aft bulkheads of both the front and back cockpits.

Ckptblkhd.jpg

Cheers,
Rich

Back