• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Came up w/ a new way to hold my liquid cement

Adam Baker

Like the title says, I came up w/ a new way to hold my bottle of Ambroid cement.

I had been hoping to maybe make one using a Forstner bit and a piece of wood, but since I don't have any bits to do that, I started looking for another means of making it a little bit harder to knock the bottle over.

While working on a build, I found the perfect thing. I've got a large number of prescription pill bottles that I use for everything from holding scrap bits to using as a handle when working on figures. One of the types I have, is larger one that's approx. 2" in diameter, and about 3 1/2" tall. It looked like it would be perfect to hold a bottle of Ambroid. I pulled the cap off and dropped the bottle in, and it was almost perfect.

Here are the pictures I took of what I have.

DSC02014.jpg

I started by drilling otu the bottom of the bottle to remove the little nub thing on the inside. When I put the bottle in it the first time, that nub kept it from being able to sit flat inside the bottle, so it wouldn't have worked.

DSC02017.jpg

Once removed, I cut a piece of sheet styrene large enough to fit inside the bottle. I actually found that the bottle tapers slightly so the bottom is a slightly smaller diameter than the mouth of the bottle. Once it fit snugly in place, I dropped the disk in place, and then using the Ambroid, I glued it in place, both around the outside perimeter, as well as through the hole now present in the bottom of the bottle. So now there's a nice flat surface for the bottle to sit on.

DSC02016.jpg

The next step was to cut a round hole in the lid of the bottle so that I could put the cap on to hold the glue bottle inside of the medicine bottle. I used a circle cutter w/ a blade in it, and made several passes, the lid is probably close to .050" thick, so it took a little while to cut all the way through it.

DSC02015.jpg

Only thing I would do different if I decide to try it again, is to make the hole in the lid smaller than what I have now. Currently the hole is too large, so the bottle isnt held down in place like I would have preferred. I have a few more of this same type of pill bottle, so I have a few more caps, so I may give it another shot and see if I can get the hole small enough to hold the bottle so it doesnt move at all inside the pill bottle.

W/ this setup, the bottle is definitely much more stable. Now it tends to slide when bumped, instead of just falling right over. Of course it will still fall over if knocked hard enough, but it definitely takes more effort now.

Awesome idea! Another way to improve it would be to add a disk on the bottom that is a little larger than the base of the medicine bottle. That would make it even tougher to knock over.

That's brilliant!

Oh yea, that would definitely be a good idea! And would be very easy to add.

Another thing I've been thinking about is trying to find some way to add some weight to it down load, which would help even more.

Oh yea, that would definitely be a good idea! And would be very easy to add.

Another thing I've been thinking about is trying to find some way to add some weight to it down load, which would help even more.

One way to make a large opening in a block of wood is to place the item you wish to git into the hole and trace around it. Then you can use a small say 1/8" drill bit and drill a series of closely spaceed holes around the traced line. It is then easy to split the wood between each drilled hole. A lot of times the little ridges that are left don't even need to be sanded or filed smooth as they will grip the bottle most firmly.

Cheers

Back