• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Bending tool

wds

I guess I’m in the market for a bending tool for the photo-etched bits. Is there one that is recommended, or one that should be avoided? Thanks in advance.

Bill

For long items, I use this out of production Fender-Bender:
b_1667_1.jpg

Small items are bent with The Bug from The Small Shop:
TheBug.jpg

This is my third which can be used in place of the OOP Fender Bender. It is The Small Shop's 5-Speed:
TSS-001.jpg

TSS-005.jpg

Avoid the cheap imitations as they break. Be honest with yourself. If you can't afford the better tools, you can still do a very good job with quality smooth jaw pliers of different shapes. So save up but don't spend your hard earned money on junk.

Regards,

M2A1021001.jpg

Case in point, This was done with smooth jaw pliers, I didn't have a hold and fold at this time.

I gotta agree with Saul on this. Don't go out and buy the first thing you see just to be buying something. I have two diffrent specifically designed folding tools. But what I still use most (probably 95% or more) is just a pair of quality tweezers :eek:hmy: . But I do use my etch mate when I have long straight folds to make. Otherwise for me, I just find the tweezers soooooo much faster, and they do the same job without having to fiddle with tightening nobs etc. But it is also worth noting that neither of my folding tools has EVER lauched a piece of photo etch into the 7th dimension :pinch: , but my tweezers have from time to time been guilty of that :duh .

Gary B)

moon puppy wrote:
M2A1021001.jpg

Case in point, This was done with smooth jaw pliers, I didn't have a hold and fold at this time.

Hey, what is there. Like ten pieces of plastic in there? :woohoo:

I have a Fenderbender myself but most of my PE work is done with smaller hand tools like tweezers and pliers. Just force of habit I suppose.

G Cooper wrote:
Hey, what is there. Like ten pieces of plastic in there? :woohoo:

Chassis and running gear are all plastic. that's about it though. I've had contact from someone who just joined that they have ordered the same kit. I hope they start soon, I told him all the help he needs is here because most all the folks who helped me has migrated here.

just to keep this on topic, I was slightly mistaken. The RHS Ammo box was build with a hold and fold, a couple of the seat frames and the Jerry can mounts. the rest, pliers.

I normally use pliers, tweezers, chissel edge exacto. Whatever works at the time. I did borrow a tool to some work on my marder, but int the end, I didnt use it as much as I thought I would. One of the guys I know, uses a piece of hard black acrylic for a base, then "pins" the parts in place with a piece of clear acrylic, and bends them using a straight razor blade.

The Marder:
DSCN1816.jpg

Pretty much everything but the hull and running gear is redone with brass. This is how it looked before paint...
2008102916185857466.jpg

Viper_MP wrote:
One of the guys I know, uses a piece of hard black acrylic for a base, then "pins" the parts in place with a piece of clear acrylic, and bends them using a straight razor blade.

Well, it seems your friend is also using a product from The Small Shop:
b_1396_1.jpg

Whereby I am using a blade to cut, your friend uses the blade to bend! ;)

By the way, you guys (and gals) do some fine PE work!

Regards,

Well, I do have another friend who does have that, the one I was referring to just uses a blank piece of black and a blank piece of clear. For the bend, its just a straight razor blade [not exacto]. He usually makes tools instead of buying them.

I have a folding tool and where I find it invaluable for long bends on fenders , I find it too slow for most work which I would rather use pliers with :) . Small parts are actually easier with square nosed pliers .

Jenny :kiss:

Hi Bill,

The tool I use the most would the Armour Extra Details EASYbend Produced by Steelmodels, Italy. Similar in design to the original Etch Mate but with some nice additions.

I also use the 4" and 5.5" Hold&Fold and the Fender Bender for really long straight stuff as Saul mentioned.

But the most indispensable tool is a pair of flat nosed tweezers, couldn't get by without them.

There is one tool I would steer well clear of as it's basically useless, that is the Etch Mate 3C, an expensive waste of time.

Cheers
Terry A

I am about to order the 5 Speed this week before I start work on the Voyager etch for my BR52.
Until now I have been using pliers (rarely), but mainly just a steel ruler and a single sided blade. Having said this I have to admit that my carpet has been so well fed I am amazed it hasn't turned into a foot high obese shag pile.

terrya wrote:
There is one tool I would steer well clear of as it's basically useless, that is the Etch Mate 3C, an expensive waste of time.

Agree on this one. I have it and it is a pain to use and not effective at all.

Back