• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Armstrong Whitworth Whitley Mk.V

RichB

Start~14.jpg

With looks only a mother (or designer) could love, the AW.38 took to the air in March 1936 with 160 aircraft already on the order book. Named the Whitley after the Coventry suburb that was the home of Armstrong Whitworth, it entered service with the RAF in March 1937. In the early days of WW2 it lead the way in long range operations over Occupied Europe. In 1941 the Stirling, Halifax and Lancaster were entering service with Bomber Command and the Whitley was withdrawn. It continued to serve with Coastal Command (Mk.VII), supporting SOE operations, dropping paratroops, towing gliders and as a training aircraft with OTU's.

Cheers,
Rich :pilot

Great idea, go ahead and build it so I can see the pitfalls before I get around to building mine :good:

Cheers, Christian B)

Puttering away on this and got some primer on.

The one piece lower wing with the two spars added. They form part of the bomb bay and main gear wells and will stiffen up the wing assembly.

Wing1.jpg

The three part aft fuselage. Added some structure, kit and wiring to the starboard side that will be visible thru the open side door.

Aft_Fuslg_1.jpg

The forward fuselage halves. Added some structure, kit and wiring to the forward part of each half as well. Some of this will be visible thru the forward turret, bomb aimer's window and lower access hatch. The cockpit area has the fuselage structure moulded in.

Fwd_Fuslg_1.jpg

The interior bits. Added some tape seat belts to the three seat, the heating duct (styrene rod wrapped in tape) that runs from the engine to the bomb bay and into the cockpit. I didn't add the to the aft fuselage along the upper port side above the door as it visible. I extended the bomb aimer's floor so it will meet the bulkhead and added the pad from epoxy putty.

Interior_Bits.jpg

Cheers,
Rich

:snoopy

Back