• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Academy 1/35 M-18 Hellcat (Update 1/18)

Well, this build has come to a screeching halt, and I've pretty much lost all interest in continuing to work on it.

Got 2 coats of future down on it early in the week. Was pretty happy w/ things, I tend to find some way to screw up when applying Future, and the kit ends up having a bit of a rough finish, but this time its pretty smooth overall. Only issue is that the paint that was Olive Drab, now appears to be a very dark green, no clue what happened.

Then Thursday night while working on things, I managed to spill my glue bottle, getting it all over the track links. Looked like things would be ok, managed to get it cleaned up w/o too much damage. Had the first run assembled and discovered that the drive sprockets aren't assembled correctly, they are slightly out of alignment so the links dont sit properly on the sprocket.

This week I also managed to get the decals on, and I have figured out that Academy's decals still absolutely suck, and aren't worth wiping one's nether regions. I managed to get very good coverage with the Future, so it's got a very nice smooth glossy surface, yet every single decal silvered on me, and while handling the model during the first stages of weathering, and working on the tracks, at least half the decals are either completely gone off the kit, or have flaked off.

After the debacle w/ the track links, it was everything I could do to not just mash the thing into tiny bits and throwing what remained into the trash. I've not decided yet whether I'm going to trash the kit, but I have pretty much decided its getting put back into its box for now. If maybe I can source some decals for it that work better than the garbage decals that are on it now, then I may pull it back out and try again, but I really don't know.

Adam, the gloss finish would make the color look darker because thew way the light reflects. Seen it many times, if you put a flat coat the color will come back.

I"m kinda getting to the point of not using Future, think it really sits too thick on stuff.

Sorry about the rest of the issues. Maybe pull back and knock out a nice Tamiya or something fun.

Yea, I suspected it would lighten once I put a flat coat on it, but I wasn't 100% sure. I have to agree though w/ how thick the Future goes down. I think on a car model its good b/c it gives a nice clear coat that could be polished and have less chance of burning through it, but on an armor model I'm just not sure.

I've already boxed the kit up and stuck it back in the stash. Going to keep an eye out for some M18 decals for it, and maybe pull it back out eventually. And now I'm looking at a couple other stash queens to work on, along w/ the Befehlsjager I'm already working on.

Back