• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

A BIG KItty

Paulw

I thought it would be time to start the Airfix 24 scale F6F-5. So far I think it is a fairly decent kit and I have searched out reviews on it before I bought it. I started the pit today and I am pretty much in the paint phase and throwing some washes on it. I am making this a three or four month build since I would like to have it done before the April show here in Tulsa.

I'll be adding paint tomorrow as well or maybe tonight. I'm so indecisive.... :hmm:

Wow!! I've seen these kits around but very few folks that I know that got them are building them. Looking very much forward to this Paul.

Watching-with-Popcorn.jpg

I've been busy today with one half of the pit. Got the left console done and decals placed. then put the pit in. Next is the ip and the right side of things.

Just for reference here is a 32 scale R2800 from a P-47 next to the R-2899 of the kitty.

Have you built a separate building for Large Scale stuff? This looks like an absolute gem...

I decided to get back on this build. The pit is done and the fuse is closed up. There is a fit problem when closing up the fuse in that the aft pit bulkhead is a tad over size and if you don't trim it down you will wind up with an appreciable gap in the fuse halves. I did do a little light wash in the pit and some wear/weathering as well.
20210723_162834.jpg
20210723_162905.jpg

I then started on the wing assembly.

20210724_114210.jpg

There are 11 parts just in the center wing box. Since I am going with a US bird the overall scheme will be deep sea blue and though I have about three different mfg. of paint they still seem way too dark for me so this payday I am doing some paint shopping at the Brothers of Sprue and see what I can come up with. I plan on chipping the gear wells and wing boxes a bit. I may put one wing deployed and one stowed but I haven't made a decision on that yet. Needless to say that this thing is pretty huge.

Paul,

I used Hataka Orange Line lacquer when I did my 1/72 Hellcat & Corsair ... Just sayin'

coming from 1/700 planes looking at this is feeling like an ant in a giant world

it's looking good, Paul

Testors PLA enamel Flat Sea blue is my favorite for the US Navy "Big Blue Blanket" paint scheme. You may well need several 3/4 oz. bottles for this behemoth!

Fit issues with a Trumpeter kit?!:bang head Say it ain't so!:lol:

Back