• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

75mm SP, Autocar

RichB

Drag6467_001.jpg

Known as the 75mm Gun Motor Carriage M3 by our US cousins.

large2.jpg

large.jpg

1[sup]st[/sup] King's Dragoon Guards, Italy 1944. Formed as The Queen's Regiment of Horse by James II in 1685. They served as cavalry until 1939 when they received Vickers Mk.VIB Light Tanks and joined the Royal Armoured Corps. In 1959 they merged with The Queen's Bays (2[sup]nd[/sup] Dragoon Guards), also formed in 1685 by James II, becoming the 1[sup]st[/sup] Queen's Dragoon Guards (Welsh Cavalry). They are the senior regiment, Cavalry of the Line in the British Army.

QDG_Cap_Badge.png

Cheers,
Rich

Very nice kit, I did one a while back with the Royal PE set though there's nothing wrong with the kit supplied stuff. The gun shield is amazingly thin.

Autocar? These were built by Autocar?

Very nice kit, I did one a while back with the Royal PE set though there's nothing wrong with the kit supplied stuff. The gun shield is amazingly thin.

Autocar built about 2200 M3 GMC's. After their less than stellar performance as a Tank Destroyer in North Africa versus the Afrika Korps they converted 1360 back to M3A1 personnel carriers before they left the factory. The British received about 170 vehicles, assigning them to the Heavy Troop of the Armoured Recon Regiments to provide fire support for the armoured cars.

Cheers,
Rich

Autocar built about 2200 M3 GMC's. After their less than stellar performance as a Tank Destroyer in North Africa versus the Afrika Korps they converted 1360 back to M3A1 personnel carriers before they left the factory. The British received about 170 vehicles, assigning them to the Heavy Troop of the Armoured Recon Regiments to provide fire support for the armoured cars.

Cheers,
Rich

Thanks Rich, I knew that about how badly they performed and being converted. I did one from Darby's Rangers with a bit of modifications to it.
gmc280.jpg

hope you don't mind my showing it here.

The chassis is built up.

Chassis1.jpg

Chassis2.jpg

Added the exhaust support on the right bogie assembly and replaced the shaft between the bogie rollers with a piece of round stock rather than try to get a clean joint from the molded on shaft on the two support arms. Looks like the air cleaner has sagged a bit, have to square that up.

Cheers,
Rich

Mods to the cab sidewalls. On the right, the unmodified. On the left, the plastic jerry can mount removed, the remaining hole filled and the kit supplied PE mount installed.

Cab1~1.jpg

Cheers,
Rich

Back