• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1:72 (Modern) Aircraft - Some random thoughts...

ij001

Hmmmm, 1:72, not a scale I work in very often, in fact I have just four 1:72 models in my cabinet. The Hobbyboss F-14 & Italeri F-100 you've all seen here before, the RoG Hunter is five or six years old and my Italeri Jag is being built for the OoB Campaign here (and the Early Jets GB at Kiwi Modeller), and that is 75% done. But when I dug-out the Jag from the stash, I was amazed just how many 'quality' 1:72 jet kits I have. Now 'quality' is, like beauty, in the eye of the beholder, and this 'opinion' is what prompted my posting this thread.

The reason I don't normally build more than one 1:72 kit a year is simply this... My 51 year old eyes and sausage fingers simply wont allow me to do the level of detail that I would put into a larger scale project - pride then jumps-in with both feet and slams the door... 'Well you cannot do it full justice so dont do it at all !!'

But I think over the last couple of weeks away from my bench, I've had a sort of 'Road to Damascus' moment.

In my stash I have some truly superb 1:72 kits, kits that really ought to be built (for instance):
The Hasegawa F-14A with a full set of dropped flaps and slats, the Fujimi & Italeri A-6's - the former having dropped flaps and slats the latter has folding wings, Revell's Hunters & Eurofighters - If you haven't seen the Eurofighter, you really should, it's like a Contemporary NATO weapons set with a free aircraft kit !!, I have other Fujimi gems like their British Phantom, the A-7 and the stunning little A-4E, and if you saw the (full) range of Hasegawa Phantoms (eleven) you'd think I'd gone mad !!

There are more 'current generation' 1:72 kits that I've either sold or built over recent years that equally take-ones-breath-away for their sheer quality (the Hasegawa F-111 immediately springs to mind)... so here I am looking at these fantastic tho' small kits and thinking...

...why not ??

Unless I am planning to put them into a competition, what is stopping me from building some more of these little kits... Answer, nothing but some weird pride-driven idea that because they are smaller and I haven't spent at least another 50% of their purchase price on an etch set and state-of-the-art decals then somehow they are not worth considering... Time to kick that idea into touch.

So folks, what do you think ?? - 1:72 worth getting those wee gems back-out of the stash and making the effort ??... Over to you.

Ian

Git'er done Ian.

Remember that these jets are a lot bigger than these WWII aircraft we build, a LOT bigger.

I fully understand but, get it done (especially if space is a consideration).

Regards,

Thanks boys, but that wasn't the point I was trying to make. Yes I will build two or three of them and enjoy the process. The point I was aiming for (and missed), was that I have these superb 1:72 jet kits and have avoided them through some self-inflicted prejudice, and I now I ought to put that prejudice away and simply enjoy them.

No matter - after posting this yesterday I looked again in some of the boxes. I found an Italeri Su-22 which I think came from Bilek or Smer originally. All it needs is painting, all the major construction was done some 15 years ago !! - couldn't find any decals so I'll have to source them from somewhere (Hi-Decal or Begemot most likely). This may hit the bench after the Jag & Starfighter... I like this [strike]Polish[/strike] Czech one !!

heb8452f.jpg

Ian

edited because I'm too stupid to check (pun intended) first time around :facepalm

I found an Italeri Su-22 which I think came from Bilek or Smer originally. - couldn't find any decals so I'll have to source them from somewhere (Hi-Decal or Begemot most likely).

Where are you located? Since I only use the sharkmouth schemes, I might have some decals left over.

Regards,

Thanks, Saul.... I'm in (sunny) New Zealand happy to swap a few 'sharks' if you want.

Ian

I like this Polish one !!

heb8452f.jpg

Ian, that is a Czech aircraft.

Looking in my stash, I have the following to offer:
[ol]
[li]
CED72021.JPG

Red 798 (minus East German national markings and stencils and/or Libyan[/li]
[li]
172829-12155.jpg

West German 25+07 or East German Yellow 13 complete.[/li]
[li]
1000x1000.jpg

Yellow 05, Yellow 20, Yellow 24.[/li]
[li]
105236-12906.jpg

West German 98+14, Polish Red 7307[/li]
[li]
28_1_b1.jpg

Afghan Red 804 but I can't find the National Markings :([/li]
[li]Iraqi 22034 similar to this with different serial:
iraf_su-22um-3__22533_with_kh-28m_001.jpg
[/li]
[li]NOTE: This is an Su-22UM-3K
1158_955_o.jpg

Soviet Red 55 and/or Czech Yellow 7103 - no stencils
1212_2_BIL955_3.jpg

1212_2_BIL955_4.jpg
[/li]
[/ol]

Regards,

The reason I don't normally build more than one 1:72 kit a year is simply this... My 51 year old eyes and sausage fingers simply wont allow me to do the level of detail that I would put into a larger scale project -

If this 1954 model can do a Lancaster in 1/72 and along the line a 1/72 B26K, and Fujimi 1/72 Stuka I'm sure you can manage quite well Ian! having quite a few years on me!

You underestimate yourself my friend!!

Get yourself an optivisor or as I do a large mag glass on a stand - it does help 200% !!!

The reason I don't normally build more than one 1:72 kit a year is simply this... My 51 year old eyes and sausage fingers simply wont allow me to do the level of detail that I would put into a larger scale project -

Get yourself an optivisor or as I do a large mag glass on a stand - it does help 200% !!!

Ditto! My eyes have deteriorated quite a bit over the last few years but I bought an optivisor and soldiered on. I usually build exclusively in 1/72 and intend to keep it that way for as long as I can.

I like this Polish one !!

heb8452f.jpg

Ian, that is a Czech aircraft.

Regards,

Thanks Saul - I'm so stupid somteimes, I've actually seen the Czech machines 'in person' at the last IAT that I went to in the mid 1990's !! - very noisy and very impressive low level high-speed passes, but not so good at going around corners !!. I've edited my post now.

h051c6d0.jpg

This is precisely the sheet I'd put into my 'cart' at Hannants, so yes I'll be happy to relieve you of it and it will definitely be finished with that huge mawl. Really appreciate the offer, thank you very much.

Ian

h051c6d0.jpg

This is precisely the sheet I'd put into my 'cart' at Hannants, so yes I'll be happy to relieve you of it and it will definitely be finished with that huge mawl. Really appreciate the offer, thank you very much.

I will be getting the three schemes (remember that they are remainders from building my sharkmouth schemes) which include Yellow 05, Yellow 20, & Yellow 24. Note that the stencils were used but I can send you the top portion (without stencils) of the Su-22UM-3K sheet.

Regards,

Thanks Saul, that's a good idea, just clarify please - I can do Yellow 27 (with the teeth) and you will include stencils, is that correct ??

h3aa1448.jpg

Ian

To clarify, I am offering leftover schemes from my decal sheets for which I already used the sharkmouths and stencils. For the following list, see my previous post here to see the images.

1. Cutting Edge Decals - I have Red 798 (minus East German national markings) and stencils and/or Libyan. Note, I did find a set of East German decals (from the Aeromaster Decals sheet) if you want Red 798. No sharkmouth or stencils.

2. Aeromaster Decals 72-126 - West German 25+07 or East German Yellow 13 complete. No sharkmouth or stencils.

3. Hi Decal Line 72-031 - Yellow 05, Yellow 20, Yellow 24. No sharkmouth or stencils.

4. Hi Decal Line - West German 98+14, Polish Red 7307. No sharkmouth or stencils.

5. (? unknown manufacturer) - Afghan Red 804 but the roundels were used on my Hind.

6. (? unknown manufacturer) - Iraqi (Arabic numerals) 22034.

7. Bilek sheet from Su-22UM-3K - Soviet Red 55 and/or Czech Yellow 7103 - no stencils.

Regards,

OK, got it now, Saul and again thank you very much. There's more than enough on those leftovers for me to turn-out a good model. If you can let me know when you post them, I'd appreciate it. In the meantime I'll have a look through my sheets and see what I can find by way of an 'exchange'.

Ian

In the meantime I'll have a look through my sheets and see what I can find by way of an 'exchange'.

It is in the mailbox for tomorrow's pick up. No need for exchange as these are decals I am not using and am glad someone else can. Pass it forward as some say.

By the way, if you are not into 100% accuracy, the Su-22UM-3K Czech scheme is VERY similar to the scheme you posted.

Regards,

Back