• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/72 F 104 to NF 104 conversion (Edwards AFB)

kryptosdaddy

I Know this won’t qualify a ribbon as it was begun way before the build started but this is a great topic and with the thread so bare I'm taking one for the team sharing this, hope you enjoy this as much as I.
This is Hasegawa’s F-104 G in 1/72 scale converted into the NF 104, the ZOOM version used by the Air Force in the 60’s to test high altitude flight. The ‘rocket’ on the end was built with one of the kit’s drop tanks.
Modifications to the kit were, the gun bay was removed- the wings were lengthened 5/16 of an inch- the shock cones were oversized (I mean WAY oversized, but I like the look!) – And of course the rocket was added. I ruined this kit during its initial build with a bad coat of paint and it sat at the desk with a stick up its exhaust for a year as a paint test kit. Then one day mid last year I took it down, stripped it with brake fluid, broke the wings a couple of times, closed the gear bays, sanded it down smooth, cut the spine out and replaced that with styrene strip,(the kits was uneven and twisted) etched the panel lines and built the base from the parts box.
I modeled the pose from this NF 104 that sits at Edwards.

104_a_profile.jpg

I took these pictures of it to show that I didn’t just take this off the shelf to show! Trying to be honest here.

Nf_104_mody.JPG

Nf_104_mody_28229.JPG

Now I'm going to finish, hang on....lol CR

Bit more than that- engine, antenna, another coat on the wings, cutting in the canopy detail and repainting the base and the final touch on the silver. Good excuse to knock out a shelf queen. :bang head

That gate guard probably doesn't have any engine in it at all, probably just a hollow tube. Chip I moved this to Wesendorf Field since you're already so far along.

Back