• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

1/48 Encore F-102A Delta Dagger

RichB

Our local club is starting an OOB contest with tonight's meeting, so while I'm at it, I'll join this Campaign. The completion date for our club build is the 19 Jun meeting.

Start~1.jpg

Encore added a resin radome, cockpit, intakes, flight controls, AIM-4A, -4D & -4F missiles and wheels, PE for the landing gear, cockpit and engine.

Markings are for the 64th FIS, Vietnam in 1966 in SEA scheme and the 460th FIS, Portland, Oregon in 1962,

Cheers,
Rich

Never seen this kit before. Is it a re-box of the old Monogram kit with 'extras' ??. Last year somebody did something very similar with the old Monogram AT-37...

Ian

Yes it is the old Revell/Monogram kit with the added extras. Encore also did the A-37 kit you mentioned. Encore is a line from Squadron were they bundle the plastic from an existing kit with resin and PE.

Cheers,
Rich

Just saw one built at the club recently . Came very nice. I think it looks much sharper in the ADC Gray.

Very few got painted in the SEA colors.

Cheers, Christian B)

Always been tempted to pick up this kit. Will be watching with interest. :popcorn Might have to get one now that I know it comes with decals for a plane based here in Oregon.

I have one of the Monogram boxings in the stash and a couple of superb 'Fox One' decal sheets to go with it. Rich If you want, I'd happily share the sheets with you, got some really colourful options on them.

Over to you.

Ian

Thanks for the offer Ian. I've never seen the Fox One decals. My kit has the Case XX wing (the drooped leading edge & tips) that started with aircraft 56-1317.

Cheers.
Rich

Century Series in SEA, I think I'm with Chris on this, like the old interceptor colors. But always a treat to see SEA camo. :popcorn

Started removing some of the bits to fit the resin add-ons.

Removed 3 punch marks from the cockpit and intake. Upper post surgery, lower pre-surgery. Also removed the glare shield.
sink.jpg

It is much easier to fit the intakes while the fuselage halves are apart. The instructions would have them installed after the wings are in place. The two areas in the red circles need to be carved down as shown in the lower photo before fitting the resin.

rhintake~0.jpg

lhintake.jpg

From a dry fit of the resin intakes there will still be a bit of a gap and step were it meets the plastic. These will be easier to fix while still able to get at both sides of the intake. But that will be for another night.

Apologies for the fuzzy focus.

Cheers,
Rich

Epoxied the resin intakes in place.

Not much of a gap on the LH side.
resin_intake.jpg

A little bit larger gap on the RH side, mostly near the top. The splitter plate had a bit of a warp to it. A hot water bath and I was able to get it back into shape.
resinintake2.jpg

Both intakes have a slight step where resin meets plastic on the inside.

Time to let the epoxy fully cure before gap filling.

Cheers,
Rich

Not much time at the bench the last couple of weeks, but did get the resin intakes fitted and sanded. The RH intake had a bit of a low spot that required filler to feather it out. Along the resin/plastic joint I used a mix of super glue and micro-balloons followed by a coat of filler. There was a small step on the inside joint that needed to be filled and sanded. It was much easier doing this now than with the fuselage and wings joined as shown in the instructions. I did get a bit too enthusiastic while sanding the first intake and split open the joint. Lesson learned and back to square one.

rhfit.jpg

lhfit.jpg

While waiting for filler to dry, I cut the flaps and elevons from the upper wing. The toughest part was not peeling the tabs inboard of the fences off as I thinned them down to get the elevons fitted.

wingmod.jpg

Each wingtip has a slight raised line that does not match any aircraft panel and is likely from converting the moulds back to the Case XX from the Case X to be removed. I also thinned the remaining bit of the trailing edge to blend better with the resin bits.

wgtip.jpg

With the surgery done, the upper and lower wings could be glued together. There is a significant seam that runs in the camber on the wing underside. Will be fun to fill. The wing trailing edge needs to be glued, clamped, filled and sanded to get a clean joint for the resin flaps and elevons.

wingfit.jpg

trail.jpg

That's all for now.

Cheers,
Rich

Back