Captured Panzers - German Vehicles in Allied Service
Mini TOPCOLORS 39
Softcover, 16 pages
For those not familiar with this series from Kagero, each title consists of a book and decal sheet combination and is aimed at the scale modeller. The books are similar in size to the Squadron “In Action” series, approximately 8” x 11”. The cover is glossy card stock and the pages are heavy weight paper.
Each page is dedicated to a single subject. There is a brief history and description in English and Polish. The main illustration is a side view of the subject AFV and there are often scrap views to clarify marking placement when not visible from the profile. The renderings are very well done, in full colour and crisply printed.
The single large decal sheet provides the markings of the new owners for all sixteen subjects in three scales, 1:35, 1:48 and 1:72. They are printed by Cartograph, are crisp and clear (the 1:72 lettering is readable) and everything is in register.
The subjects selected for this volume are:
1. Pz.Kpfw. II Ausf. F, 1st US Ranger Battalion, Tunisia 1943
2. Sd.Kfz. 222, No. 2 Armoured Car Company, RAF, North Africa 1943
3. Jagdpanzer 38(t) Hetzer, “Chwat”, Warsaw, Aug 1944
4. Pz.Kpfw. V Panther Ausf. A, 1er Batailion AS de l’Ain, France Sep 1944
5. Panzerwerfer 42, 1er GMR , France Oct 1944
6. Pz.Kpfw. V Panther Ausf. G, 145th Regiment RAC, Italy 1944/1945
7. Pz.Kpfw. V Panther Ausf. G, “Cuckoo” 4th (Tank) Bn. Coldstream Guards, Netherlands 1944/1945
8. Pz.Kpfw. IV Ausf. H/J, Escadron Autonome de Chars Besnier, France Feb/Mar 1945
9. Sd.Kfz. 251/8 Ausf. D, unidentified US Army unit, Germany 1945
10. Pz.Kpfw. V Panther Ausf. G, 366th Self-Propelled Artillery Regiment, Hungary, MaR 1945
11. Pz.Kpfw. V Panther Ausf. G, Escadron Autonome de Chars Besnier, France Mar-May 1945
12. Sd.Kfz. 251/7 Ausf .D, 153rd Field Regiment RA, Germany 1945
13. Sd.Kfz. 251/1 Ausf. D, “Revnice” CSR, Prague May 1945
14. Sd.Kfz. 250 Ausf. A, CSR, Prauge May 1945
15. StuG III Ausf. G, 5th Independent Self-Propelled Artillery Squadron, Poland May 1945
16. Pz.Kpfw. IV Ausf. J, 5th Independent Self-Propelled Artillery Squadron, Poland May 1945
All the vehicles selected are common types and are available as kits in most scales. The one possible exception is the Sd,Kfz. 251/8 Armoured Ambulance, however the medical interior could be scratch built . For those who don’t wish to tackle that, there is a resin interior set designed for the Tamiya Sd.Kfz 251 Ausf.D available from MR Modellbau.
Whether you are a fan of Allied or Axis AFV’s, there is something here for both. The Allied builder gets to add some iconic Axis vehicles to their collections. The Axis builder gets some markings not normally offered in kits.
Highly recommended for those who want to shake up their AFV collection.
I obtained my copy from The Book Depository in the UK for $16.43 Cdn with free worldwide shipping.