• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

U. N. Management - Wolf in sheep's clothing - Done

Phil

DB605 powered Spitfire.

About this aircraft -

Built from a Spitfire Mk. Vb airframe captured in November 1942, this curious aircraft was used by Daimler Benz for comparative trials between the DB 605 German engine and the Rolls-Royce Merlin.

Spitfire Mk. Vb serial no. EN 830 originally belonged to No. 131 “County of Kent” Squadron RAF and was marked NX – X. On 18 November 1942, being flown by P/O Bernard Scheidhauer of the Free French Air Force, this aircraft was hit by flak on a Rhubarb mission over the coast of Normandy. Scheidhauer made a forced landing in a turnip field at Dielament Manor, Trinity, Jersey and was taken prisoner. His aircraft, with only minor damage, was transported to Germany, eventually being sent to Echterdingen, where Daimler-Benz operated a flight testing division.

The Spitfire airframe no. EN 830 was converted by removing the entire engine section, and then adopting a DB 605 unit from a Bf 110G twin-engine fighter. Fortunately, the engine unit of the German twin was very similar in cross-section at the firewall to the Spitfire. A new engine support was designed, and a standard DB 605A-1 engine Werknumber 00701990 was mounted to the firewall. A standard 3.0 m diameter VDM propeller from the Bf 109G was added, together with the carburetor scoop from the same fighter.

The entire conversion including connecting the engine’s systems with the rest of the aircraft proved rather difficult. The work was completed at the Sindelfingen Daimler-Benz factory, near Echterdingen, which provided the necessary expertise and tooling.

The aircraft, marked with the Luftwaffe radio-call markings CJ+ZY and painted yellow underneath to facilitate recognition by the flak crews, underwent a series of flight tests in Echterdingen and Rechlin. It was reportedly very easy to fly, and one of the German pilots described it as “a dream of an aeroplane”, superior in handling to the Merlin-powered original. More importantly, the tests showed that the aircraft was markedly easier to handle on the ground and in the air than the Bf 109G.

Later, EN 830 was destroyed on 14 August 1944 in an American bombing raid.

the kit
DSC_SPIT.jpg~original

Ready for surgery
DSC_0713a.jpg~original

success!
DSC_0715b.jpg~original

DSC_0718A2.jpg~original

DSC_0724a.jpg~original

Wolf in sheep's clothing

Nice Phil!

I've seen pics of this plane and thought it would be a neat subject. Nice to see you tackling it!

:popcorn

Wolf in sheep's clothing

Thanks everyone,

Mike the set is from Fusion Models - but! there are now no decals with the set - I wasn't told this when I purchased the kit from New Zealand, even though it was shown that it did contain decals, then had a shitfight with Fusion who said it was stated on their website - funny about that because it wasn't stated until I contacted them and asked about the decals, the next day the site was updated about ''no decals'' with this set.

Still looking for a letter sheet of suitable decals unfortunately

Wolf in sheep's clothing

OK Phil, moved this to Déjà vu, give me a start up photo of where you are and we're good to go. :popcorn

Under New Management - Wolf in sheep's clothing

Thanks Bob! underway.

One fix done.

That huge resin engine had no spinning prop, and I hate fixed props

drilled through the resin engine front for the prop shaft, drilled out the spinner, and made up a brass sleeve that fits into the
engine hole, the length was necessary because the casting inside the engine isn't flat but angled.
DSC_0726a.jpg~original

The brass rod fixed to the larger plastic plug goes into the hollow sleeve which will be glued flush into the engine, the smaller plastic plug holds the rod inside the tube, this way I can build the kit and fix the completed spinner assebly later, there is a handy jig to give you the correct blade angle.
DSC_0727a.jpg~original

will look like this, and spins nice.

it will be a better fit when all glued as it's just dry fitted so shows an angled gap atm.
DSC_0728a.jpg~original

made the plugs from those scrap bits of spru frame, they drill out nice and make excellent prop holder-inners or ''donuts''.

more later, pit construction next.

Thanks Bob! underway.

One fix done.

That huge resin engine had no spinning prop, and I hate fixed props

drilled through the resin engine front for the prop shaft, drilled out the spinner, and made up a brass sleeve that fits into the
engine hole, the length was necessary because the casting inside the engine isn't flat but angled.
DSC_0726a.jpg~original

The brass rod fixed to the larger plastic plug goes into the hollow sleeve which will be glued flush into the engine, the smaller plastic plug holds the rod inside the tube, this way I can build the kit and fix the completed spinner assebly later, there is a handy jig to give you the correct blade angle.
DSC_0727a.jpg~original

will look like this, and spins nice.

it will be a better fit when all glued as it's just dry fitted so shows an angled gap atm.
DSC_0728a.jpg~original

made the plugs from those scrap bits of spru frame, they drill out nice and make excellent prop holder-inners or ''donuts''.

more later, pit construction next.

May want to thin down those prop blades Phil :rotf Looks like you are off to a very good start (y)

May want to thin down those prop blades Phil

Hey Ryan, those are the latest user friendly blu tac paddle blades, cool hey!!!! :geek

Ok all you Model Alliancers I'm after some German letters,

solid black German Luftwaffe style

C J Z Y

Two (2) of each letter

H 13mm x W 9mm

and

C J Z Y

H 9 mm x W 7mm

a mil or two over would be ok, close enough is good enough.

Will pay postage if required.

doesn't matter if you only have one or two, any will help tremendously.

or if you know of any letter decal sheets please post it up.

here's the style I'm after

4801c800.jpg~original

Fingers crossed!

Might have some "C"'s and "Z"'s that would fit the bill.

I'll check and get back to you...

Thanks Warren and Bob, the "J" letters can be a normal run of the mill type, those ones on the decal sheet might be very hard to source.

For the code letter decals, contact Mike Grant from Mike Grant Decals, he has the correct style, and provided a set for me use when I did this same conversion a while back.
Ernie

Thanks Ernie, it says on the ''about the decals'' page

Please note we no longer offer a custom decal service.

http://mikegrantdecals.com/shop/about-the-decals/

:(

Back