• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

This Clown's a Joker! Serb T-34B

OK for a Russian armor moron, tell me what you're talking about Factory 112 and Factory 174?

OK for a Russian armor moron, tell me what you're talking about Factory 112 and Factory 174?

No such thing as a moron. ;)

During WWII, the T-34 was mostly assembled by three factories. Factory 112, 174, and 183. As they were separated, each did their own modifications. I consider Factory 112 to be ahead of the game. Some remember the Stalin works factory (STZ) which kept producing tanks while the Germans attacked the city. But I am interested in the T-34-85.

After the war, the government decided to standardize the T-34-85 using Factory 183 as the example. This is why Czech and Polish produced T-34-85 are close to it in appearance. The upper rear armor plate rests on a ledge created by the lower rear armor plate and there are small hinges.

ha177f1f.jpg

Factory 174 was similar in the rear armor plate arrangement but used two larger hinges which were very similar to the hinge used on the circular transmission access hatch:

hf5da6a2.jpg

Factory 112 had the upper rear armor overlapping the lower rear armor and two large hinges:

h41d2089.JPG

Of course, looking at the armored covers over the drive gears (semi circular items at each end of the lower rear armor plate) shows differences as do the driver's hatch, hand holds, track pin return bumps, and bow MG armor.

Turrets also have differences. Factories 174 and 183 were similar to each other and had a short roof plate. Factory 174 sometimes used a rolled steel (not cast appearance) on the commander's cupola. Casting seam on the 174 angled upwards near the front while Factory 183 had seams at right angles.

Factory 174
he0cc139.JPG

Factory 183
h14ae6bf.jpg

Roof plate on both do not reach the trunnion:
h17f747c.jpg

Factory 112 had a long roof plate which reached the front
hb953c29.JPG

Factory 112 also produced turrets with separate 'mushroom' vents during 1945. This is why the one found in Serb colors is an issue as it has mushroom vents but a short roof. This makes me believe it is a Factory 174 turret slowly incorporating the standardization but taking the separate vents prior to returning to the twin domes.

Regards,

Feel free to ask any questions as this is a small fraction of my T-34 library:

T34References01.jpg

T34References02.jpg

T34References03.jpg

T34References04.jpg

T34References05.jpg

T34References06.jpg

T34References07.jpg

T34References08.jpg

T34References09.jpg

T34References10.jpg

T34References11.jpg

Regards,

Oh man, I would get so confused reading all that and trying to remember everything! Can you say, "Information Overload"?

Nice library Saul!

Cleaned up a second hull by removing the mudguards, opening up the ventilation areas and preparing for PE:
SerbT34B_006.jpg

SerbT34B_007.jpg

Also, I replaced the parts my dog ate and got these too. Not all are needed for this build but nice to have and support a company that supports CTA III.

TMDT34Goodies.jpg

Regards,

Great, so let's start puttin' it together.

You know it! I want to have something to show for Tuesday's meeting. Sending packages took up all my time yesterday but this afternoon is all mine, except for the lamb shanks I am preparing.

Regards,

I have to look up TMD and get some things. Just trying to curb my spending. Still they arent complete kits so might fit in the loophole to my resolution :hmmm
James

A closer look at the TMD goodies. Some items are warped but they are easy to correct with hot water. Not all parts are relevant to my build.
TMDT34Goodies.jpg

tmdt34gOODIES001.jpg

tmd3565210.jpg

tmd3565210B.jpg

tmd3565215.jpg

tmd3565260A.jpg

tmd3565260b.jpg

tmd3565290.jpg

tmd3565290A.jpg

tmd3565290B.jpg

tmd3565300.jpg

tmd3565300A.jpg

Regards,

This is quite interesting Saul. :hmmm

Your T-34 library reminds me of my Volkswagen library. (yes I used to collect the full size air cooled VW's) Still have the books but only one car in storage in another state.

This cold is trying to keep me down but I got a chance to mock up this unique turret. Clear shell is is modified from AFV Club's T-34-85 Factory 174 with the electric turret rotation motor bulge and commander's cupola overlap bulge from Dragon's kit (which represents a Factory 183). The turret roof is from Dragon's kit (the one I used for the bulges) with the left ventilator in the process of relocation to a spot used by Factory 112 and all other items (other than the right ventilator base and loader's hatch hinge) removed. A second Dragon turret will give up its periscopes as these were mounted on another sheet of armor:

SerbT34B_008.jpg

h6908d22_2016-12-20.jpg

heabb154_2016-12-20.jpg

h1721680_2016-12-20.jpg

h68bbcca_2016-12-20.jpg

Boring history and my hypothesis:
The three factories were ordered to standardize which resulted in Factories 174 and 183 beginning with a 'unified' hull and very similar turrets by late 1944. This left Factory 112 which had a bigger turret with a longer roof and separated ventilators to try to standardize. After receiving the turret molds from Factory 183, the roof plate from their own production was modified to fit. This meant cutting the length down and, since it was larger, welding it on top of the cast turret. I do not know why the periscopes had to be bolted to plates welded to the turret roof but it could be that the turret thickness was different.

Regards,

Back