• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Testors 1/48 F8F-2 Bearcat

Thanks guys! I was able to get the 2nd coat down this evening. Unfortunately it didnt go down aas smooth as I was hoping. All along the left side of the fuselage its got a fairly rough texture. I'm thinking I might try hitting it w/ some 800 or 1k grit paper to help smooth it out and then hit it w/ the Future for the gloss coat to see how it goes.

Man, over a month since the last update, guess time flies when your having fun, haha :gogo

So anyway, after the last update, I hit the whole model w/ 1000 grit paper to smooth things out and then hit it w/ another coat of paint and it looked much better.

Let it sit for a couple of weeks, and then yesterday I pulled it back out and started working on it again. Got the landing gear painted Tamiya Aluminum since I have no clue what color its supposed to be and the instructions dont give a color for anything but the oleo struts which should be silver.

Once it was painted & dry, I got the gear doors glued to the struts, and then decided to see what it looked like sitting on its wheels.

F8F2-18_zpscfad84bd.jpg

Once that was done I started putting down the decals. Because of the age of the kit, I was extremely worried I was going to have the amazing exploding decals, but I was very happy to find that not a single decal came apart on me.

F8F2-21_zps172cc918.jpg

F8F2-22_zpse93b2389.jpg

F8F2-23_zps99c3b257.jpg

I'm very close to being done. Still got some cleaning to do from the decals, for some reason I've picked up a white haze around the national insignia on the bottom side of the wing, so I'll have to figure out how to clean that up, and I have a white cap to paint on the top of the vertical stabilizer, and then the whole thing will get a coat of future. I also have to finish cleaning up the propeller, bombs and the rockets and get them painted and mounted, and it'll be all done!

Well here's what I dug up.

bearcat.jpg

Grumman_Bearcat.jpg

Seems like they could be airframe color of zinc primer .

Apparently none of the powers to be are not paying attention. Someone should have told you that the Bearcat did not enter service until after the Pacific conflict was over.

Shame on them ! Regards, Christian B)

Well Chris you're right. VF-19 was the first to fly the Bearcat at the end of the war, but not in operations. I guess all I can say is collectively we are all human and mistakes happen. Oops
James

I very much agree with the human part. I seem to suffer from that a lot myself :bang head

I hope he can slide this in somewhere as he's done a he's got a lot of work invested already .

As much as I like the Bearcat and I wish it had been part of the WW II conflict, it just was not. Nor was the Tigercat for that mater ( I love it too ) :facepalm

Guess you could always let it go. This is just one of the many reasons that the campaigns get on my nerves.

Cheers, Christian B)

Apparently none of the powers to be are not paying attention. Someone should have told you that the Bearcat did not enter service until after the Pacific conflict was over.

Well why didn't you say anything earlier? :rotf

Actually I think there was a discussion about it earlier but we figured Adam wouldn't finish... :facepalm

We'll be in huddle to make a call on this. :hmmm

Ha!! hahaha :yipee :yipee

Actually I think there was a discussion about it earlier but we figured Adam wouldn't finish... :facepalm

Well that's a bummer, but I guess if it doesn't meet the criteria then so be it. I didn't think to do any research on it, I just made an assumption about it being used in the Pacific.

Great build there! B)

Yeah I can build a MiG-21 for the Kursk campaign now :D

Can I get this one moved to the 2nd Chance Campaign. I'll build it for the Cold War Campaign and I'll look at another build for Hell in the Pacific. Found an F4U Corsair at Hobby Lobby that I think I might get.

Can I get this one moved to the 2nd Chance Campaign. I'll build it for the Cold War Campaign and I'll look at another build for Hell in the Pacific. Found an F4U Corsair at Hobby Lobby that I think I might get.
TRhink you should have gone for the Woops ribbon rather :evil:

Looks pretty good Adam. Which Corsair kit were you looking at. Some models of the Corsair were post war also.

Looks pretty good Adam. Which Corsair kit were you looking at. Some models of the Corsair were post war also.
One easy way to see if its WW2 or later is by the Stars and bars. The red line in the Stars and bars is post WW2 (Think it was 1947) Empty stars and Bars or just sircle with star in was during WW2
http://wwiisquadronpatches.com/NationalInsigniaHistoryUSAircraft.html

Back