• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya M51 Sherman - ADDENDUM ADDED

I did not go with a repaint of the mantlet, as almost all period color pics I could find od the M51 had the mantlet same color. There are a few of it in OD Green, but not many.

Coming along......

h95c67e2.jpg

h87ced63.jpg

h8ba1e17.jpg

h391380b.jpg

he81c32f.jpg

I was wondering when you were going to post this.

Looks really sharp, nice and ugly...some of your best I think (y)

Tamiya M51 Sherman - FINISHED!

OK so calling this 'un finished! Intent is to build a base as practice for another model I have in the work que, but at the moment this will do!

Hey all the weathering past what you saw above is done using pastels as described by Mr. Bob Letterman. Thanks to his influence, I feel like I am really learning how to do this...my best work yet!

h5a95c02.jpg

ha8547ab.jpg

h2c96d98.jpg

hb1c091b.jpg

h575bf0c.jpg

h61c5b10.jpg

hfde10b7.jpg

h26f6b49.jpg

h11cea27.jpg

hab4543e.jpg

hf02da42.jpg

Tamiya M51 Sherman - FINISHED!

Great weathering Bruce! Really looks good. Get some dust up on that stuff on the left side rear, that yellow jerry can and spare wheels look a little too clean.

Great JOB there Buddy!! (y)

I can definitely see how much your weathering skillz have improved.
:v

OK so I decided to learn how to make a proper base of this. I like those stackable display cases you see at Hobby Lobby, so I got one. Eric Rains talked me into getting some Clay-Shay. I mixed it up and plastered it on in one small sections, and pressed the M51 into it to create track marks. The super-easy to work with Clay-Shay, along with some pebbles and dirt from my neighbor's driveway, plus some pigments sprinkled when dry, came out looking like this:
M51A.jpg

I then used some Model Master Sand color and lightly hit it with the Sotar 20/20

M51B.jpg

After that, I got some of the old reliable Tamiya Flat Black and a few index cards to prevent over-spray, and got the remainder of the base
M51C.jpg

Then I put the M51 on...only to find that it no longer fit! I fought with it a bit, only to damage the track...AGGGGGHHH!!!!!!!!! So I took a bit to calm down, then glued it to the base as best she'd fit, then mixed up a tiny bit of Clay-Shay, and working it under the spaces, along with some or that leftover sand and pebbles from earlier, and worked it up under there. May need some dry-brushing once fully cured, but I think it came out looking pretty good!
M51D.jpg
M51D.jpg
M51E.jpg
M51F.jpg
M51G.jpg
M51H.jpg
M51I.jpg
M51J.jpg

That looks Awesome Bruce!! 👍😎👍

The Groundwork and base/case came out tops. You should go back to your other kits like the JS and do the same thing. It would be good practice.

Back