• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Tamiya Kubelwagen

I have a Dragon DAK Kubelwagen and will be watching this. I am particularly interested on how you weather the inside of the vehicle. You have already been a big help with tank tracks in another thread. I have been very lucky to be building vehicles that just happened to have a class on them.

And y'all thought I forgot der Kubelwagen, did you? :mpup

We don't need no steenkin' decals.

h9a1a769.JPG

h7e86a9a.JPG

Rear seat masked off for color.

he41beb7.JPG

Seats and top painted, going to weather the interior a bit before adding the DAK.

hc770511.JPG

More fun to be had, thanks for dropping in.

:drinks

And y'all thought I forgot der Kubelwagen, did you? :mpup

We don't need no steenkin' decals.

h9a1a769.JPG

h7e86a9a.JPG

Rear seat masked off for color.

he41beb7.JPG

Seats and top painted, going to weather the interior a bit before adding the DAK.

hc770511.JPG

More fun to be had, thanks for dropping in.

Looks like you've had some good bench time. :dude

I have seen everything from dark grey to almost white for the top. I think a straight khaki would be safe. As to the seats, I would match the top.

As an old time VW collector, the seats were usually a leatherette material. Kind of like the old Naugahyde but much sturdier with a smoother surface. They most likely were a medium to dark brown or possibly black. The top was a fabric type material and was a dark grey or Khaki color depending on time frame. At the beginning of the war they were grey or maybe an off black. As things started switching to DAK colors for Afrika Corp the grey top stayed unless it had to be replaced and then it could be about anything.
Later when the base color switched to sand, the top tended to be a Khaki color.

hc422c45.jpg

This photo is very informative. It shows the outside and inside of the rear door. It also shows the dash area. All of these are sand color. It shows the back of the seat. The fabric over the seat is not the seat itself. The pleather that the seats were covered with is HOT! This is some fabric thrown over the seat to keep the seat from being sticky from sweat etc. The engine compartment is open and shows the sand color as well. The fabric of the top was probably still a grey color but has so much ground in dust that it is lighter in color. This is late war in Sicily 1943.
Another mistake that people make is to rust up the vehicles in the arid areas. There could be and was some wear of the paint that would usually show some grey primer or possibly red primer. There was a lot of dust build up and the tops of the doors would turn brown from accumulated sweaty hand prints and dirt but usually very little rust. I have crawled over 3 unrestored Kubels and there was minimal rust. A lot of damage, wear and tear, and engines and parts replace, but little rust.

h447605b.jpg

The second photo shows a repainted Kubel in Italy. The front fender has a scrape that shows grey and the edge just under the folded top also shows grey where the sand paint wasn't applied. You can also see the grimy area on the top of the doors from hand sweat and oil. In this case it is also possible that the interior was painted as well. The seats could be removed quite quickly and easily in these vehicles. Four wingnuts for the 2 front seats and just take out the back seat and back cushion. Note the grey folded top.

h307bc73.jpg

Definitely a DAK vehicle due to the sand tires. Note the Notek light on the front is grey and the top folded in back is a dark grey. While there is a lot of dust there is the hand grime on the doors and some wear on the edges of the fenders and the rear fender seems to be showing grey wearing through. could be primer or just grime, but seriously doubt it is rust. Remember arid areas!

Mike I love the way that stencil turned out.

I will be watching, hope the reference photos give you some help/ideas. I might be ignorant of a lot of WW2 armor etc. but I know VW's. I can probably turn up a bunch more info if you need or want it.

NICE!!...and yes I did forget all about this :huh: That stencle came out Super...Duper :dude

:v

Thanks guys. I took photos of a Kubelwagen on display in Columbia, SC, it had black seats. The photos posted above look different colors than the suggested mix, so going to wing it.

I sat (inappropriately, OOPS!) in a K-Wagen at the Lexington, NE Museum that had tan seat coverings. She smelled a lot like my '65 Bug on the inside. I just could not help myself!! :gogo
I won't relate my Me-262-a1 story from Wright-Patterson AFB museum story at this time.
ROCK ON Mike! :ro: :ro:

Thanks!

Nothing going to happen at my house until Saturday. Work, work, work...
:mpup

All right, away we go!

A dab of masking putty.

hdfc2833.JPG

h41422fa.JPG

RAL8020, 5 parts Tamiya XF15 2 parts XF64, squirt of retarder and about 60% X20A thinner.

hfd7f102.JPG

I found this in my stash of "pallettes"

h83c7d1e.JPG

SO, a little warm water and a stiff brush.

h5ad495b.JPG

h5137696.JPG

h718092e.JPG

h02e4727.JPG

I'll let this dry until next weekend and see what happens. Thanks for coming by!

Back