• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

SurgiCon 23 8 April 2017

100_2891.JPG

100_2892.JPG

Lots of very fine 1/48 scale Propeller airplane models!
100_2893.JPG

1/32nd scale & larger (HA!) Aircraft. I didn't feel so bad about not finishing my Papa's Revell 1/32 P-51B in time for our Show. We had plenty enough 1/32 entries to knock out that crazy Franz Olsen's unfinished 1/32 Aircraft, and then He didn't show up this time! :drinks :yipee
100_2894.JPG

This Trumpeter Avenger was tidy, and well done.
100_2895.JPG

Hasegawa 1/32nd scale FW-190, and Winston's awarded Mitsubishi J8M2 Raiden! :notworthy
100_2896.JPG

Plastic Surgeons judges in action!!
100_2897.JPG

1/72 Armor. Little beauties, every one!
100_2898.JPG

David Madsen's awarded 1/35 Finnish T-28. :soldier :good:
100_2899.JPG

I didn't take a picture of everything. I thought these were Kuhl!
100_2900.JPG

The figures give away Nate McCoy's 1/35 Tamiya M-5 Stuart tank model!

Thanks for the report Chris. Some great looking models. I'm glad to see the B17 guy knew about the waste air vents on the trailing side of the wings. That's a pet peeve of mine when looking at B17s. (y)

100_2901.JPG

1/48 scale Tamiya Pershing.
100_2903.JPG

Wheels!
100_2904.JPG

PT Cruiser Funny Car team! I've had a Madness for Funny Car dragsters since I was a Tot. :eek:ldguy
100_2905.JPG

100_2906.JPG

See?!?! :drinks :dance
100_2907.JPG

Custom Autos, all scales!
100_2908.JPG

Non-competition Autos..............
100_2909.JPG

1/35 Armor.
Break time! I need to make dinner for my Beloved! More tomorrow!!
Thanks for lookin' in!

Those 1/48 birds are bee-you-tiful! Always happy to see an SBD make an appearance in a show ;)

100_2910.JPG

Ron Huntimer's 3 Fighting Men stand prominently in Figures. To the far RH you can see Nate McCoy's awarded 1/35 Golfer figure and Don Joy's awarded Metal Man Mercury. Both were hand sculpted!
Upper center is Scotty Reisbeck's awarded The Penguin as well! :good:
100_2911.JPG

Many impressive "Out of the Box" entries!
100_2912.JPG

100_2913.JPG

100_2914.JPG

Smilin' Larry Klausen drove a long way to present his "A Place to Play" World War II diorama. An historical moment, frozen in time. Inspired by a photo in the book in the photo. It isn't easy to make all those kids!
100_2915.JPG

Peleliu 1944 Japanese Ambush Diorama. The expressions on the faces of the Imperial Japanese soldiers were exquisite! Them Nips was MAD!!! 4 Figures, or more, show action (YIKE!) tells a story! Nifty-keeny-Wow!
100_2916.JPG

The judges couldn't call this one, truly, a Diorama, but that's what category this contestant chose. Still, Really Cool!!!!
The much feared Imperial Star Destroyer, defeated. Boke! Bad Boken bad! No longer a threat to Liberty in the outer ring systems.
100_2917.JPG

Nate McCoy, again, telling a Story of our Men in Uniform. Tamiya's 1/35 M-8 Greyhound and sculpted/modified US Army saboteurs deny the Reich phone service. "Da schizt Dem Hund im Feuerzeug!"
100_2918.JPG

IPMS Plastic Surgeons ponder the "Best Of's" Awards. Our Judging differs form some. we choose the 4 Best models in every category, so as to spread the hegemony among the least flawed Builds. The rationale is that best Kit in each category will get the "Best Of..." rather than a "First Place" and a "Best Of...", See?!?

I was given the Honor of being the Master of Ceremonies (The Mouth of The Surgeons? ME?!) for our awards proceedings again this year. I helped with registration, led my Judging Team, and pitched in with our raffle as well. 'Twere a busy day! I hope everyone who came had as much fun as I did! I entered 3 ship models and my faithful, grubby & stubby 1/72 Airfix Boomerang. As usual, Curtis Knight and Richard Sliwka exceeded my humble model efforts.
100_2919.JPG

I was pleased to win more than my share of raffle prizes, without getting anything I donated back! :rotf :yipee :rotf :yipee

At 60 Contestants and 315 Models, we judged 50% more models than we ever had. My thanks to our Guests for making Surgicon 23 a rousing success, and for their patience as newbies and stalwarts alike, labored to decide what we considered to be the Award-winning builds and sculpts.

We were doubly honored to have our shiny, new, IPMS Region V Coordinator, Jim Coatney, at His first Region V Show, and our long-serving, (long-suffering) out-going IPMS Region V coordinator Kelly Quirk in attendance.

The Junior Chuck Sterns Award went to Ty Stevens for is aged 1/35 Tamiya M-41 Walker Bulldog. :soldier :dance
The Grown-up (?!?) Chuck Sterns Award went to Virgil for his exquisite Mach 2 (YIKE!) 1/72 North American US Navy A-2J Savage. :bang head :ro:
Gil Wheeler's Judges Grand Award went to Curtis Knight for his 1994 Aviation Usk 1/72 scale Nakajima E8N1 Dave Japanese float plane. :notworthy :salute
Our Turning The Tide in the Pacific Theme Award went to Randy Fields for his swell 1/48 Accurate Miniatures Doolittle Raid B-25B Mitchell.
I was running my mouth during awards, so I didn't get pictures of the awards & winners together. :smack :facepalm
This concludes my SurgiCon 23 Show report. :drinks :eek:ldguy :pilot
Thanks for looking in!

Fun to see everyone! Looks like there were lots of cool subjects and deals to be had at the vendors. (y)

Back