• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Semovente El Alamein circa 1942 COMPLETE!

Semovente El Alamein circa 1942 Flat and Dirty!

Thanks, guys! Moving forward, I added a dark wash to the recesses and removed the excess. While that was drying, I broke out the tracks. Friul provides drive sprockets in the package, I like the extra detail on them and the kit sprockets don't fit the metal tracks.

h7ad238c.JPG

I consulted the Book of Armaments, Chapter 2, Verses 9 to 21 for the number of links per side. "And the number of the counting shall be 87, no more, no less and blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy." Oh wait, I've gotten a bit silly...

First run as compared to the kit tracks.

hcb6fc27.JPG

On to the second run!

I did like the way the wash looked, so I shot a flat coat over the interior, added some bare metal spots with pigments and graphite pencil. Seats are just a first coat of paints and mocked up for photos.

ha76ddc2.JPG

h263d4ff.JPG

h77f9aeb.JPG

Having all the fun one guy should have. :frantic

Thanks for coming by.

:drinks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRo9m2vSChw
Awesome tracks! Bonus on the drive sprockets!

I do not believe I could top Brother Maynard's Book of Armaments. I try!
Awesome build so far!

Ciao, bella carro armato! (Carrot tomato?)
:rotf

And to think that guy ranks one of the best actors today. :rotf

Chip away! (y)

Looking very cool Mike. (y)

I' m thinking that pulling out those lower shells must have been dicey.

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks guys!

Yeah, that bottom row doesn't look to be too well thought out. :idonno :laugh:

I finished the second run. Friulmodel gives you 220 links, but not enough wire to assemble the 174 required. :idonno I had saved wire from past projects, so I could finish, but it seems they'd have that worked out by now. I usually replace their wire with .20 brass wire, but these links are smaller and the holes would have to be redrilled to accept the larger wire. :pp I'll say this set was well molded, not a lot of nubs to remove like on some of their other tracks.

h243bac2.JPG

h76d7b76.JPG

OK boys, it's past 5 and you know what that means. Until next time.

Thanks Chris and Piet! Had to work yesterday morning and wasn't feeling like modeling yesterday afternoon, so i took the rest of the day off. :laugh: I got up feeling it this morning so I charged into tracks and running gear. After a dip in the Black 4 Tracks, they look pretty good.

hfc353f3.JPG

A quick pass with the sanding stick polishes the wear surfaces.

h7d1dbdd.JPG

I hit the other side and mixed up a sandy looking batch of Vallejo pigments.

hf7b0b4f.JPG

distribute the pigment over the tracks as randomly as you like, then apply a little pigment fixer, alcohol or acrylic thinner to set the mix.

hfd2e530.JPG

h04dea3d.JPG

I like to add some over the top by tapping the brush and letting the pigments fall. Hard to tell what the finished product looks like when it's wet, so you may have to add more or another color to get it right.

While those were drying, I went to the garage to get base color on the lower hull and wheels. Tamiya Desert Yellow thinned with Tamiya Lacquer Thinner.

hd460667.JPG

h91f27bf.JPG

h5887dfc.JPG

And here's a taste of what I'm gunning for.

h95a3668.jpg

Until next time, thanks for coming by.

Wow , that's looking pretty sharp so far Mike (y)

Cheers, Christian B)

Trabisimo! Excelente'! Lasagna! Parmigiana!
:salute :soldier

Thanks Chris and Piet! Had to work yesterday morning and wasn't feeling like modeling yesterday afternoon, so i took the rest of the day off. :laugh: I got up feeling it this morning so I charged into tracks and running gear. After a dip in the Black 4 Tracks, they look pretty good.

hfc353f3.JPG

A quick pass with the sanding stick polishes the wear surfaces.

h7d1dbdd.JPG

I hit the other side and mixed up a sandy looking batch of Vallejo pigments.

[attachment=28779]hf7b0b4f_2018-01-21.JPG[/attachment]

distribute the pigment over the tracks as randomly as you like, then apply a little pigment fixer, alcohol or acrylic thinner to set the mix.

hfd2e530.JPG

h04dea3d.JPG

I like to add some over the top by tapping the brush and letting the pigments fall. Hard to tell what the finished product looks like when it's wet, so you may have to add more or another color to get it right.

While those were drying, I went to the garage to get base color on the lower hull and wheels. Tamiya Desert Yellow thinned with Tamiya Lacquer Thinner.

hd460667.JPG

h91f27bf.JPG

h5887dfc.JPG

And here's a taste of what I'm gunning for.

h95a3668.jpg

Until next time, thanks for coming by.

Nice job. :soldier

Thanks guys! Well, it was bound to happen. Between my wife getting sick last month and working around the public, the crud has finally caught up to me. Was looking forward to some bench time, it's been rainy and overcast here, but I am just not making much progress and might as well go watch a movie.

Here's why I said it's hard to judge your color when using pigments. When they dry, they are considerably lighter.

STILL WET FROM FIXER

h7d1dbdd_2018-01-28.JPG

ONE WEEK DRY

h1c6c676.JPG

Just what I was hoping for, a dusty, sandy sort of shade.

The cool thing about the white metal sprockets is a light pass of the sanding stick wears the paint off the teeth.

BEFORE

he406814.JPG

AFTER

h6c09b4a.JPG

Looks good to my eye.

Installing the tracks is pretty simple, I wrapped the tracks around the sprocket, making sure the teeth were engaged and then spread the run over the returns.

h067ffc1.JPG

I flipped the hull over and added the last pin.

h5dbca9b.JPG

I've exaggerated the sag a little, but being an old Tamiya kit, there's no take up to the track. It will look good when the upper hull is installed.

More to come, if I ever get over this junk. Thanks for coming by!

Thanks guys, I sure didn't make much progress this weekend, but got to feeling good enough to go to work today. Oh course, there was the fact that my car wouldn't start and had to get my boss to pick me up. :bang head Has a new battery and it wasn't cold either, has to be in the ignition switch. Seventeen years old and just getting broken in, you know. :eek:ldguy

Feel your pain, just rolled 200k on the pickup and it's in the shop once a month. REALLY don't want to get another.

Back