• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Rob's '34 Henry V8 Pickup

Here's my little addition to the GB.. a '34 Henry V8 Pickup rod. I'll be using the Lindberg 1/24 '34 Henry (Ffff.. ffff.. ahh.. it's hard for a GM man to say that word lol) Custom Pickup, No. 72155.

34-pickup-rod-1.JPG

34-pickup-rod-2.JPG

34-pickup-rod-3.JPG

I've not built a Lindberg kit before, so this will be interesting to see how it goes together. I'll be using the flathead V8 (even though it is the wrong one for the year of the vehicle), and not engine bay sides.

However, I need some feedback. I am trying to decide if I should drop the top, or take the top off all together and make it into a roadster pickup. All comments appreciated for this one (sorry, can't start a poll lol).

Cheers

Rob

Wrong engine for year??? It's a Hotrod Rob, (hotrod Rob has a ring) you can put any engine in it you want! Put a Chevy small block in it.

Drop the top, adds coolness.

@MP.. Yea.. was hoping to go with the whole late 40's/early 50's super classic rod look with an "about right" engine with bare unpolished alloy heads and a triple carb setup.. oh well.. between now and completing this beastie, if I can find the right engine in 1/24, I might just have to get it :D

And.. yea.. low lids are way cool.

@Saul.. I'm only 5'9".. so lower the better lol

Cheers

Rob

Hey Rob! That is a great kit and a scale 3" chop makes it look killer! Be sure to use the dropped axles and whack a little out of the rear spring. I built a flattie powered '34 back a few years ago, always a favorite of mine!! Funny thing is, my kits say 1/25 scale, yours says 1/24, but the sprue shots look the same. Interesting!!

@James & Dave.. Thanks.. I'm looking forward to this, and I hope I can keep it fun for you :)

@Iron Mike.. Yes.. interesting that the scale is different, but the kit looks the same. I hope the build brings back some nice memories.

Now.. off to do some surfing and see if I can "trip over" a 1/24 221 or 239 flathead.

Cheers

Rob

Cool kit (y) (y) (y) Copped tops are cool! Section it, channel it too!!! No fenders, Early hemi,black suede for paint.!!!!!

Hey Rob, you may find the parts you're after here http://www.modelcargarage.com/store/pc/viewcategories.asp?idCategory=5&pageStyle=P
Gene's right, chopped, channeled and suede is a cool combo!

Morning All

Hmmm.. Suede.. I dunno about black (everyone does black lol), but does anyone do a range of suede colours? I was thinking about no fenders, but over here, all vehicles must have fenders.. so will keep them on, and move the steering wheel to the right and make it more like one found in NZ that is road legal. I know that the whole point of rods is so you can go wild, but the rivet counter in me is wanting to make something that I'd expect to see on the road lol.

@Iron Mike.. thanks for the link. I'll take a looksee.

Cheers

Rob

Left hand drive? Now that's different! As far as different colors of suede. what about using model railroad colors with a dullcote on top? Just a thought.

Ok.. after asking around, and talking to some old school NZ rodders (I'm talking from way back in the '50s and '60s), they all say over here, the first thing they did was cut the roof off.. but I gotta agree with everyone here, and am going to chop the top. If I don't like it, then I will remove the roof completely and go with that.

As for the engine.. thanks Mike for the link, but they only seem to sell heads for the earlier engines, and they only sell the 2 or 3 carb intake manifolds with risers, but no carbs :( So I'll build the sidevalve one that comes with the kit, and stick it in with PVA or something for now, then if I find a kit or after market engine that I want, I'll install it later.

Right.. back to work.. Lunch is over, so better keep the boss happy.

Cheers

Rob

Carbs, you say? http://www.modelcargarage.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=250&idcategory=0
Period correct, killer details! The chop idea is a good one, along with a subtle channeling and you have a sweet ride! :ro:

Carbs, you say? http://www.modelcargarage.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=250&idcategory=0
Period correct, killer details! The chop idea is a good one, along with a subtle channeling and you have a sweet ride! :ro:
....under Multimedia... now why did I not think to look under that instead of Engine Detail lol. Thanks for the linky :) I might get one of those and the manifold and hang onto it until I find the right block to put it on.

Will see about channeling.. it's tempting, but takes away from something prototypical for NZ (channeling was illegal here for a long time coz of the body height rules we have here).

Will see about channeling.. it's tempting, but takes away from something prototypical for NZ (channeling was illegal here for a long time coz of the body height rules we have here).[/quote]

Wow your laws are strict! :angry: no channeling, has to have fenders :angry:

Some good planning going on! :eek:hyeah

Wow your laws are strict! :angry: no channeling, has to have fenders :angry:

Some good planning going on! :eek:hyeah
There is.. some of them are just way overboard. The only channeled and fender free rods around here are trailered to events.

BTW.. there are 3 Hot Rod events between now and the end of October that I'll be going to (first one in August). I'll be taking heaps of pics that I will make available to everyone, but if there is anything in particular that anyone wants me to keep an eye out for and get pics of, let me know.

Back