• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Maddog Manufacturing 2018 Production

Thanks Mike! In all honesty, I wasn't really motivated when doing most of this, but I did enjoy the mind-numbing cleanup work on the short run kits. In a way, it actually relaxed me and gave me more focus I think I was lacking.

Thanks again and stay tuned. More to come soon I hope.

It all is coming along well Mark! Looking good!
thumbsup.gif

Paul thanks! Your compliments are most appreciated.

Thanks Frank! Here in So Cal, winter isn't such a big deal, but all the same; I agree. I'm sure hoping I can finish the year strong with lots of completed models. It would be nice to start a year with an almost clean workbench.

Wow, despite the fact that I felt like I had no time this past couple weeks to do anything in the Hobby Room; I managed to get a surprising amount of work done. I had been working only about thirty minutes to an hour at a time over the course of the past couple weeks; Hobby Day weekend was the only time I could marathon some builds. Now I have a ton of progress to show, so brace yourselves; this is gonna be a long tour through Maddog Manufacturing. All aboard!!

Lets start in my aircraft hanger.

Some time back I tried shooting another coat of gloss on my 737. It fell down and got a lot of debris on the fuselage. I tried wiping the debris off but this is what happened to the decals:

WIP_Boeing_737_XVb.jpg

Anybody know where I can source another set of decals for this model? I would love to someday finish this before I die!

Moving on; I had a similar thing happen with the wing of the commission build Hellcat. This time, I left the debris to dry in place:

WIP_Bruce_Comission_XXXIIIc.jpg

Once it was dry, I simply wiped it off, flaking it away. Lesson learned:

WIP_Bruce_Comission_XXXIIId.jpg

Just another coat of clear to smooth that out and I'll be able to move on.

Earlier in the week I had shot another coat of gloss on the S.R.-53 to get it ready for decals:

WIP_RAF_SR-57_Experimental_III.jpg

Later on at Hobby Day I applied the original decals to this:

WIP_RAF_SR-57_Experimental_IV.jpg

You can see how some of the decals were curling. I had to put about seven or eight coats of Micro-Sol on this to lay them down. In the process I lost one of the registration numbers which came off on the brush and then disappeared. I'll have to try and source another one somewhere. The bottom decals went on fairly well:

WIP_RAF_SR-57_Experimental_V.jpg

After I'd gotten the decals sufficiently laid down, I finally added all the extra bits like the landing gear, gear doors (most of them; the nose gear door disappeared) the nose probe and the canopy on this model:

WIP_RAF_SR-57_Experimental_VI.jpg

You can also see where I started painting the fire streak(?) missiles. They are all done now and so the next pic you'll see of this aircraft will be in the finished Forums.

While applying decals to this, I also added the decals to my two helicopters which had been waiting for them. First came the Nigerian Hind:

WIP_Nigerian_Hind_XIII.jpg

WIP_Nigerian_Hind_XIX.jpg

Then I did the Australian HAP Tigre:

WIP_Australian_HAP_Tigre_XV.jpg

WIP_Australian_HAP_Tigre_XVI.jpg

Next I just have to dullcoat this, remove the masking, add the wheels and weapon systems then mount the rotors and this bird will be done. The next pics of this will be in the finished Forums.

That's all did on my aircraft so far. Moving on to my shipyards, I did get some work on my Izumo carrier too. Since it had been masked off for the deck to be painted; I shot a coat of dark grey on the deck surface:

JMSDF_Izumo_SPAM_Review_XVa.jpg

Later when this was dry, I taped off the deck; carefully trimming around the perimeter to uncover where I wanted the lighter grey to go:

JMSDF_Izumo_SPAM_Review_XVb.jpg

Now to shoot paint on the hull and island assemblies. That will hopefully come later this week.

Now we can move on to my armor models in the motor pool assembly bays. I did a lot of work on these little beasties and even started two more models. So, let's get to it.......

I'll start with the Russian Fire truck. After all the filling I did with the acrylic filler, I shot another coat of red on this truck:

WIP_Russian_ZIS-5_Fire_Truck_XIII.jpg

Later on I painted details and trim; added additional parts like the hoses and ladders and wheels and ended up finishing this off before I remembered to take pics. Pics will be in the finished Forums.

Next I worked on the crane for the Russian BREM recovery vehicle. It was a fairly easy assembly:

WIP_Russian_BREM_VI.jpg

Here is how it looks dry-fit to the vehicle:

WIP_Russian_BREM_VII.jpg

The top hull is also dry-fit into place. That's gonna take a lot of work to look good.

Moving on, I painted the MACK truck. Here it is all dry-fit together:

WIP_WWI_Campaign_2018_VIIIa.jpg

Later on I added the roof to the cab. There was a lot of seams that needed to be filled so I added some Mr. Surfacer 500 to them and let it dry:

WIP_WWI_Campaign_2018_VIIIb.jpg

After some judicious sanding, I had a nice smooth roof top:

WIP_WWI_Campaign_2018_VIIIc.jpg

Now, as you all recall I was working on some Volkswagens. I had gotten the pickup version to the paint stage and shot a coat of black over it already, So, I moved on to the big nosed version of this bug (designated Type 230/3) to get it caught up. I painted the interior first:

WIP_Volkswagen_BigNose_VI.jpg

Then I sanded the top of the car to smooth out the gaps and seams and then masked the windows for painting:

WIP_Volkswagen_BigNose_V.jpg

After that, I assembled the whole thing, making sure the gaps were as closed as I could get them. I still had a few to fill:

WIP_Volkswagen_BigNose_VII.jpg

WIP_Volkswagen_BigNose_VIII.jpg

Afterward I finished by adding the roof racks and fenders along with some other small bits:

WIP_Volkswagen_BigNose_IX.jpg

Now it was ready for paint so I shot a coat of black on it:

WIP_Volkswagen_BigNose_X.jpg

All that was left was to add the wheels, remove the masking and then weather this beastie; along with the pickup version. Pics of both of them will be in the finished armor Forums.

Earlier; as I was going through the stash to pack up some kits to put in storage, I came across yet another Military Wheels Volkswagen. It was a Type 87 modified for use in the desert for the Afrika Korps. I had already built a Type 87, but the kit had parts for the original unmodified bug: the Type 60. So, I pulled that out to work on it too. I started by building the interior as usual:

WIP_Volkswagen_Type_60_I.jpg

Then assembled the body. Here it is dry-fit together. You can see this was a more crude model than the other two bugs:

WIP_Volkswagen_Type_60_II.jpg

WIP_Volkswagen_Type_60_III.jpg

You can also see the huge gap between the fenders and the engine cover. I had thought that I could press that together when I glued it on so I moved on and puttied the top with Mr. Surfacer 500. I put that on thick:

WIP_Volkswagen_Type_60_IV.jpg

Afterward I sanded it smooth and then added the windows to this:

WIP_Volkswagen_Type_60_V.jpg

WIP_Volkswagen_Type_60_VI.jpg

After test fitting it I realized the gap was too big to just squeeze out so I had to add some sheet styrene to the bottom of the engine cover:

WIP_Volkswagen_Type_60_VII.jpg

I let it dry and then trimmed it down:

WIP_Volkswagen_Type_60_VIII.jpg

With a little sanding to blend the edges, this looks almost normal:

WIP_Volkswagen_Type_60_IX.jpg

You can see the gap below the engine cover is gone. This was ready to glue into place:

WIP_Volkswagen_Type_60_X.jpg

I glued this all together, then used my acrylic putty to fill the seams. This bug was ready for paint:

WIP_Volkswagen_Type_60_XI.jpg

I later painted it black, then unmasked the windows and added the wheels and fenders and other bits. Like the other bugs, you'll see this next in the finished armor Forums.

Since I was painting, I also shot a dark Panzer grey over the StuG that was given to me by a friend:

WIP_4-Hour_StruG_III.jpg

After it dried, I used a lighter grey to modulate the color:

WIP_4-Hour_StruG_IV.jpg

After a coat of gloss, this beastie got decals:

WIP_4-Hour_StruG_V.jpg

WIP_4-Hour_StruG_VI.jpg

After a dullcoat and some weathering, this StuG was done. This will be joining the bugs and fire truck in the finished armor Forums.

Finally, while packing up models for the storage unit, I also came across this little Italian Lince armored scout car. It looked simple and easy to build and I wanted more vehicles for my Italian army so I kept it out to start.

Beginning was fairly straightforward:

WIP_Italian_Lince_AC_I.jpg

Later I added the full interior to this with grandiose ideas of modeling this with the roof open so everyone could see it:

WIP_Italian_Lince_AC_II.jpg

That was a cramped little area! Later I added the upper part of the hull:

WIP_Italian_Lince_AC_III.jpg

Afterward, I realized I had no idea how to paint the interior and since I was at Hobby Day with no access to references; I just decided to close off the top. ACE gives you a great photo-etch part for the roof:

WIP_Italian_Lince_AC_IV.jpg

Then when that was dry, I started adding the wheel struts underneath:

WIP_Italian_Lince_AC_V.jpg

This little thing is now ready for paint.

Alright, that completes this tour of Maddog Manufacturing again, I hope you liked it despite it's length. I hope to have more done later this week, and I'm also hoping to get my finished models posted soon as well. Stay tuned, more to come. Thanks all for looking in, comments are welcome.

Geeze, I got 4 mast & booms and some hoses hung while you did an entire motor pool, a carrier and some wingy thingys. I gotta get more fired up Duke.

EJ

Geeze, I got 4 mast & booms and some hoses hung while you did an entire motor pool, a carrier and some wingy thingys. I gotta get more fired up Duke.

EJ

LOL! After viewing your Thread, I'd say you got plenty of fire going my friend. Thank you for the compliment.

Keep it coming EJ!

And you got nothing done?

Mark you gotta get that hair out o that wing bubba!

Actually I did get something done: one aircraft and at least four vehicles, possibly five. (I lost count) I just have to get finished pics taken and posted. Stay tuned. As for that hair, already gone my friend!

Thanks again for the great comments and compliments guys! They really keep me going!

Well, it's been over a month and I finally have some time to post what I've gotten done in all that time.

Let's start again with my aircraft.

Some time ago I got some extra decals for my Boeing 737. I then added some decal film to them to help insure they don't break up too much. Finally, I managed to get one side on to repair the damaged ones that were already there:

WIP_Boeing_737_XVc.jpg

That has also been clearcoated for protection, and later I'll try the other side. I was surprised at how long that decal took to loosen up!

Moving along, I did the radar dome on the night fighting Hellcat I'm building for someone:

WIP_Bruce_Comission_XXXIIIe.jpg

I need to clearcoat those parts and get the decals on this model.

Moving on, I worked on my two helicopters. The Nigerian Hind was first. I assembled the main rotors first:

WIP_Nigerian_Hind_XX.jpg

Then I added the landing gear and gear doors:

WIP_Nigerian_Hind_XXI.jpg

This is a test fit to see how it all sits. All I need is a bit of paint touch up; the ordinance and eventually, a canopy:

WIP_Nigerian_Hind_XXII.jpg

I also worked on my Australian HAP Tigre; getting the main rotors done and the whole thing clearcoated for decals:

WIP_Australian_HAP_Tigre_XVII.jpg

Here it is with the decals on, and the canopy masking off:

WIP_Australian_HAP_Tigre_XVIII.jpg

Later I noticed that the little beastie wasn't sitting right; she was leaning to one side. So, I turned it over, cut one of the landing gear and added a shim to the strut. That is the white thing you see here:

WIP_Australian_HAP_Tigre_XIX.jpg

Finally, this one was almost done. I added the ordinance, the main and tail rotors, and a tail wheel from another kit since this one had gotten lost; and then touched up some of the paint. All that is needed on this is the "eyeball" on top of the cockpit and the gun beneath the nose:

WIP_Australian_HAP_Tigre_XX.jpg

That completes the aircraft, now to bring it down to the ground....

To start with, I base coated the M-992:

WIP_US_M-992_Ammo_Carrier_IV.jpg

I was going to fix the tracks some, but I'm tired of this thing sitting on the bench. I'll be hand painting the camo pattern on this later.

Next I decided to get the tracks on the Russian BREM. I started by adding some links to the drive sprocket and then cementing that on the hull, as indicated by the instructions:

WIP_Russian_BREM_VIII.jpg

After some more work, I got one run of tracks done:

WIP_Russian_BREM_IX.jpg

One more run to do and I'll be ready to close this up and paint it.

Next I primed the Italian Lince:

WIP_Italian_Lince_AC_VI.jpg

After that dried, I shot it with a coat of pale OD as a base:

WIP_Italian_Lince_AC_VII.jpg

WIP_Italian_Lince_AC_VIII.jpg

The back roof brace broke off, as I was sure it would, so later on when I'm almost done, I'll make a new one from styrene rod.

Next I went to work on my WWI MACK truck. First I shot the green back on the roof of the cab where I'd filled and sanded the seams:

WIP_WWI_Campaign_2018_VIIId.jpg

Next, I was not happy with the looks of the tilt. I started by doing some sanding to remove some seams and then brought out my putty and filled all the seams, sink marks and gouges I'd made before:

WIP_WWI_Campaign_2018_VIIIe.jpg

Some time later, I got everything as smooth as I wanted:

WIP_WWI_Campaign_2018_VIIIf.jpg

I then gloss coated the chassis and cab for decals and shot a new Field Drab color on the tilt. It all looks much better now:

WIP_WWI_Campaign_2018_IX.jpg

WIP_WWI_Campaign_2018_X.jpg

Now I just need to decal this, dullcoat it, then assemble the last detail parts and weather it and I'll have another MACK truck.

Since I was dabbling in WWI subjects, I finished painting the pattern on my WWI 8-inch artillery gun:

WIP_WWI_Howitzer_XV.jpg

WIP_WWI_Howitzer_XVI.jpg

This just needs some weathering and it'll be done. Finally!

Since I was hand painting camouflage patterns, I decided it was time to finish the armored train engine too. I had started with the green before and now I finally got it all done:

WIP_German_Br_57_Panzerlok_XII.jpg

WIP_German_Br_57_Panzerlok_XIII.jpg

After that, I added the brown:

WIP_German_Br_57_Panzerlok_XIV.jpg

WIP_German_Br_57_Panzerlok_XV.jpg

This one just needs a bit of weathering also and I'll have it finished. Hopefully soon.

Moving on out to my shipyards, we find the Izumo getting some attention. I had masked off the flight deck so it was time to shoot the lighter grey:

JMSDF_Izumo_SPAM_Review_XVc.jpg

JMSDF_Izumo_SPAM_Review_XVd.jpg

It's almost impossible to see in those pics so you'll have to take my word for it. Here's the island after I finished painting it too:

JMSDF_Izumo_SPAM_Review_XVe.jpg

Later the masking came off. I was extremely pleased at how well this looked:

JMSDF_Izumo_SPAM_Review_XVf.jpg

I dry-fit the island to see how it looks:

JMSDF_Izumo_SPAM_Review_XVg.jpg

JMSDF_Izumo_SPAM_Review_XVh.jpg

I was most impressed with how seamless the join was on this. Excellent molding!

After that, I decided to build the lower hull. I added the sonar dome, rudders, strakes and screws to the underside. I'm still not sure I'll add this to the model, but at least it will be completed if I do:

JMSDF_Izumo_SPAM_Review_XVIa.jpg

JMSDF_Izumo_SPAM_Review_XVIb.jpg

Later on, I painted the funnels and then cemented the island down on the deck. I then added most of the detail parts to the deck and island. I left off all the tall, thin antennas and masts that would end up breaking off as I worked on this further. Now this is ready for touch up paint and clearcoat for decals:

JMSDF_Izumo_SPAM_Review_XVIIa.jpg

JMSDF_Izumo_SPAM_Review_XVIIb.jpg

That completes the run of progress I've gotten done so far. I hope to finish up at least four of these in the next week, and possibly another few by the end of the year. Here's hoping!

Thanks all for looking in, comments are welcome.

Man, that 737 is looking great!

and - That sweet bird farm is coming along nicely. How's the fit on that kit?

EJ

Damn, Mark.
Those are some sharp looking models.
How's the back coming along?
Frank

My back is doing very well. My chiropractor is keeping me on the straight and level. Just in time, with all the Christmas events I've been involved in. Thanks for the compliments on my work; I hope to get a few of them finished soon.

Man, that 737 is looking great!

and - That sweet bird farm is coming along nicely. How's the fit on that kit?

EJ

Thanks EJ! The decals on the 737 are finally on the one side and sealed, but there are still some wrinkles that won't come out. I'm just gonna chalk it all up to a very old model and move on. I want that bird finished! Hopefully I'll get the other side done and completed soon.

The fit on the Izumo is exquisite! I don't think I've ever built a model perfectly fitting ship model in my life. I highly recommend this one. Then again, I haven't started on the extensive P/E yet!

Thanks again guys for the excellent replies!

Small update for now, just showing the last work I got done in my attempt to finish a few more models for 2018.

First of all, I had gotten the decals on both sides of the 737, and when I tried to fix something, I gripped the fuselage in the wrong place and too hard:

WIP_Boeing_737_XVd.jpg

Fortunately, I was able to fix it. The wrinkling however, is permanent; I had no way to avoid that or fix it so, I just have to live with it:

WIP_Boeing_737_XVe.jpg

I had so many issues with these decals curling, all attempts to get them to lay flat failed. One side of the fuselage looks like someone's burnt face it is so wrinkled. So, since I couldn't get them to lay perfectly, I just continued on with this, clearcoating it with several more gloss coats, then installing the wings and landing gear and gear doors. "Old Burnt Face" is now completed and can be seen in the Aircraft Forums.

Moving on, I was so close to finishing the Lince armored car that I went ahead and added the wheels and re-built the roof brace:

WIP_Italian_Lince_AC_IX.jpg

WIP_Italian_Lince_AC_X.jpg

Despite my best efforts this turned out to be quite a wonky little beast where nothing is aligned. I did manage through some finagling to get all four wheels to touch down. This one can be seen in the finished armor Forums now.

This third one is the M-992. I started the camouflage pattern on it; painting the flat black first as well as painting the tracks:

WIP_US_M-992_Ammo_Carrier_V.jpg

WIP_US_M-992_Ammo_Carrier_VI.jpg

You can see I hand painted it; I was too fed up with this thing sitting on my bench to deal with Silly Putty. Maybe in the next one.

Later I painted the brown color on this to complete the camouflage pattern:

WIP_US_M-992_Ammo_Carrier_VII.jpg

WIP_US_M-992_Ammo_Carrier_VIII.jpg

I then detail painted this and then glosscoated it; added the decals and dullcoated it. This one is now on the completed armor Forums as well.

That closes out my 2018 production line. I may get some work done on other models before the year's end but it would be so minor that I will save it all for my next year's Thread.

Thanks all for looking in, comments are welcome.

Great news on the model front.
45 next year??????
You have finish this year with many great builds.
I so look forward to seeing your progress on the models.
You have inspired me to new heights.
My goal is 15 models next year.
Frank
:drinks :drinks

That is awesome Frank! It feels good to be someone's inspiration. I'm hoping to do 45 next year, but we'll see. I think I'll start the new Year by focusing on a few of the more long-term and frustrating Shelf Queens.

Slowly along with everything else lately. For some reason my desire to push forward has come to a screeching halt.

Back