• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

RA-5C Vigilante (1/48 Trumpeter)

So I got some bench time in last night...even took a picture. But then got sidetracked winding down for the night and forgot to upload it. :smack I'll try to get that taken care of tonight.

Nothing too exciting...just more puttying rivet holes. :frantic

Glad you're making progress Chris. I've not even had time to open the box on mine! I hope to fix that soon. Looking forward to seeing more.

As promised...though a bit later than I intended. :tomato

DSCF2078.JPG

The deadline isn't unachievable...but there is still a pile of work to be done. :frantic

Still slaving away. Didn't get nearly the time this weekend I was hoping...but did get quite a bit more puttying done. :soldier

With the car more or less done aside from tires & alignment, plus couple days off work this week...fingers crossed for some visible progress by week's end.

Excellent. Good luck with it. I started mine just before heading out to Florida but didn't have the time to post anything. Once I return I should be able to get that done.

Spent a few more hours puttying and sanding...puttying and sanding...puttying and sanding. :frantic

I was hoping I might have it in paint this weekend...but I think that may have been a bit of over optimistic thinking. I'm spending a bit more time fiddling until I'm happy with the fit. Some of the transitions from part to part are a bit lacking...along with a few "voids". But on the upside, probably 75% of the rivet filling is complete.

I kinda, sorta, might've broken off a small piece of the main gear. So I re-glued the piece and called it quits for the night. :laugh:

DSCF2080.JPG

DSCF2081.JPG

Not enough to be worthy of a picture, but got a couple more hours at the bench this weekend and a little more progress has been made. Intakes fitted, along with yet more filling & sanding. :java

I think I'm finally getting close to paint. I think I got most of the main airframe fitted, filled, and de-riveted. I've ordered a couple more UMM scribers...as I seem to have misplaced mine. :bang head So with a bit of luck, after some clean up of some panel lines, I may be about ready for paint this weekend. Still need to assemble the slats, flaps, stabs, and wingtips.

I'm trying to allot at least half hour a night (during the work week) and an hour a day on the weekend to get this finished (and the same time for the Dauntless). I think I'm starting to see light at the end of the tunnel.

After this one...I don't know that I would build another Trumpeter kit for a campaign, at least not if I had a smallish time window. But then again if my summer didn't get crazy, and I didn't lose a couple critical parts, I wouldn't have lost so much time.

Keep plugging, you'll get there. :zen :zen I think this kit has to rate as one of Trumpeter's worst at least as far as fit is concerned. I built their Condor and Wellington and enjoyed them both,fit issues were very minor on both of them.

I was able to sit down for a couple hours last night and got all the stabs & wingtips assembled, rivet holes filled, and sanded down. Once my scribers show up today, I'll just need to clean up a few panel lines. Primer should be just around the corner...then to see how much cleaning up it's going to need.

DSCF2083.JPG

Are you planning on folded wing tips ? On my kit the wing tips were thicker at the mating point than the wings. I matched things up on the top and it left a large step to deal with on the bottom. Had I realized sooner I could have thinned them before gluing them together. If you fold them it won't be noticeable. Another gotcha from Trumpeter ! :bang head

Yeah, I'm planning on folded wingtips, intake plugs, and closed canopies. Basically how she'd be sitting on the flight deck.

The holidays interfered more than I was hoping...isn't that always the case. :angry:

But I did get a bunch of scribing done, along with attaching the vertical stab & tailhook components. Just need to finish up the seats and get the canopies on and I think I'm ready for primer/paint.

It seems like everytime I think I'm there...I find something else I need to do or overlooked. :pinch:

Back