• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

RA-5C Vigilante (1/48 Trumpeter)

I decided to add some reinforcement to the top as well to provide some support for the large vertical stab. I made a relief cut in the box tube where the upper fuselage bends, then filled the gap w/ CA. The upper braces were mounted flush w/ the edges to they can also be used for bonding the fuselage halves together, providing additional strength, as there is very little contact area for the fuselage halves at the back. I will need to drill out the vertical stab holes in the tubing, but that will only provide more contact area for the stab.

DSC_0059.JPG

Got the pit mostly done with the exception of the seats. Caved in and ordered the Aires nozzles. It was going to be a royal pain to deal with the seams on the kit engines...and still wouldn't have looked at good when it was complete. As an added bonus the Aires nozzles are of the early variety that match the intakes, not that I care too much. It would still look like a RA-5C. :laugh:

DSC_0060.JPG

Nothing worth posting pics of yet, but I did some fiddling with the resin nozzles that came in. Trimmed the tailpipes off the kit engine and fit the exhaust fans to them. I just need to decide how I'm going to paint the pipes (colors) so I can get the engines fitted and the fuselage buttoned up.

Not a ton of progress...but at least we're heading in the right direction.

Spent some time on it this weekend. Got the exhausts painted and fitted to the fuselage. Fuselage has also been aligned and closed up...with surprisingly little fiddling. I think those square tube braces will end up working out alright. I did use some styrene strip for a filler along the notorious belly gap, but once the recce fairing is installed, it should cover most if not all of it.

Speaking of recce fairing...I seem to have misplaced the little box (within the main box) that has the tail cone & recce fairing. This is going to prove most problematic if it doesn't turn up. I hope I didn't foolishly throw it away on accident..... :bang head

If it doesn't turn up soon, I may have to put this one on hold and tear into the Dauntless until I decide what to do.

Also, I'm toying with the idea of filling in all the rivet holes... :blink I like panel lines, but I feel the rivets are a bit overkill and distracting...especially considering the aircraft used flush mount rivets that are likely all but invisible until you get right up to it, especially w/ the rugged gloss paint used back in the day. I've got the Squadron white & Tamiya grey putties. Both are pretty thick and have fairly short working time. The Tamiya can be thinned (I believe w/ alcohol, need to recheck the instructions), but I still think it's going to be a hassle w/ a fairly short working time once thinned. Would that Mr Surfacer be a viable alternative? Unfortunately nobody local carries it, so I would have to order it. If it were available locally, I'd just pick up a bottle and experiment for myself. Cheers.

And yeah, before the comment that I know is coming...I should've taken some pics. :pp

Another thing I may try as well that I just thought of...filling the rivet holes with paint via a toothpick, then sand down smooth (which the sanding would have to be done regardless of the filling method). Assuming I can get enough paint in there.

I plan on filling the rivet holes as well, I haven't started yet by my first choice will be the Bondo spot putty in a tube, normally available at any big box store that carries auto supplies. Not very expensive and a tube lasts a long time. It drys quick and sands easily or responds well using acetone based nail polish remover (don't use straight acetone) I usually squeeze out a small amount and use a chisel blade in my X-acto handle to apply. After a while you get a feel for how much you can use before it sets up so you don't squeeze out more than you need. Blade can be cleaned with lacquer thinner or the nail polish remover. I hope you find your missing parts, I would hate to see this one side lined !

The rivet filling continues. Nothing exciting worth posting pics of at this point in time.

The missing parts however.....are still missing. With the timeline coming up I've got a couple options... I can either order another kit (which I will probably have to do at some point) to try to get this one finished in time. Or I can go pluck one of 1/72 Naval birds out of the stash to knock out for the campaign. I need to try to make my decision this week.

Regardless, this bird will be finished one way or another.

I probably should've taken some pics...but I didn't. Shame on me. :smack

But with the arrival of the replacement parts, forward progress on the Vigi has resumed. Tail cone and recce pod was attached...and rivet filling continues. :soldier

Excellent. I've been trying to get a Vigi to do a Tribute build for him too, but I'm out of funds. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

I've put in for some vacation here in a couple weeks, so hopefully I can get this to leap ahead so I can get rolling on the SBD for the Pearl Harbor GB.

You know Chris that Ed would be giving the "Git-R-Dun" :bat :bat bit. And take your camera in and take some pics, eh what!? Otherwise, it sounds like it is coming along well.

As to the Dauntless, looking forward to seeing it. I will be trying to do a Val quick since the Arizona kit needs so much work to correct it.

Back