• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Possibly a modelers alliance.com get together?

Yea, looked it up this morning, its actually not as long as I was expecting it to be. A drive that could be made without having to stop. Plane tickets are a mininum of 333 a piece w/ a layover in Atlanta and 450+ w/ a non stop, when I looked on Priceline last night, so w/ fee's & everything, say a minimum of 700 round trip for us just for tickets. Plus the need for a rental car while in town.

On sustained highway drives w/ our car, it'll average about 35 mpg, so it would mean 3 tanks each way, at roughly 65 dollars per tank, and then not needing a rental car while in town. The only down side being needing an extra day on each end to make the drive, but i Can live with it. Plus having the ability to just throw anything I might buy in the trunk and not have to ship it, haha.

Gonna talk to my wife & see if she'd be interested. Also thinking that I may look at just driving instead of attempting to fly.

I hop you know it's about 16hours of driving :blink

Cheers, Christian B)

Dont' know where you looked Adam but out of GSP on Delta I saw prices, round trip for 2 @ $520.00. Might be worth the drive to GSP instead of Charlotte. Delta's ready when you are. :pilot

I could drive the 16 hours but I really doubt Cindy could ride it.

Dont' know where you looked Adam but out of GSP on Delta I saw prices, round trip for 2 @ $260.00. Might be worth the drive to GSP instead of Charlotte. Delta's ready when you are. :pilot

Jeez you guys, That short trip last month to Savannah Georgia via Charlottsville VA. and a jog over to Spartanburg SC for the MA meet and greet, racked up almost 2600 miles on our van and I'm 73 years old! Dallas and back is a 1600 mile round trip for us. A walk in the park!!! Both trips are a piece of cake! Two years ago, we put 6000 miles on our coach on a single trip to, up and down the west coast and if you think a car is rough driving, that coach weighs 40,000 pounds and we were towing an SUV behind, and i've got a daughter older than most of you! :fencing :yipee

Sorry, I had to say that! Just how old are you guys? :blush: :yipee

Bob

Made a drive to Indianapolis from Charlotte a few years ago, and enjoyed it. So I'm leaning toward driving. Plus got some family in northern Mississippi, just south of Memphis that I've not seen in about 10 years, so thought about passing through there on the way home.

And Bob, CLT is one of the most expensive airports in the country to fly out of. Doesnt surprise me in the slightest that it would be cheaper down at GSP.

Hmmm a drive would mke for a long and expensive holiday. Flying is cheaper, but still going to cost a bit. Have to give it serious consideration .
James

Hmmm a drive would mke for a long and expensive holiday. Flying is cheaper, but still going to cost a bit. Have to give it serious consideration .
James

I'd really like to meet you James. With where you live though, I could understand. I wouldn't even want to think about driving that! :woohoo:

Bob

In this case driving would be cheaper than flying. When it could cost as much as 900 bucks to fly, and less than 300 to drive, I'd absolutely rather drive. Plus being able to stop off & see friends & family along the way makes it worth it as well.

Dont' know where you looked Adam but out of GSP on Delta I saw prices, round trip for 2 @ $260.00. Might be worth the drive to GSP instead of Charlotte. Delta's ready when you are. :pilot

Jeez you guys, That short trip last month to Savannah Georgia via Charlottsville VA. and a jog over to Spartanburg SC for the MA meet and greet, racked up almost 2600 miles on our van and I'm 73 years old! Dallas and back is a 1600 mile round trip for us. A walk in the park!!! Both trips are a piece of cake! Two years ago, we put 6000 miles on our coach on a single trip to, up and down the west coast and if you think a car is rough driving, that coach weighs 40,000 pounds and we were towing an SUV behind, and i've got a daughter older than most of you! :fencing :yipee

Sorry, I had to say that! Just how old are you guys? :blush: :yipee

Bob

OK so I can earn some street credits...When I got out of the USAF I drove back from Grand Forks to Greenwood in one straight shot. 24 hour drive, think I pulled over out of Madison WI and took a nap but then drove all the way through. 1500 miles. That was at 21 and no wife. :tomato

Running service calls I had one day that I racked up over 700 miles, and that was stopping to fix printer/computers and stuff. I think the boss was trying to get rid of me at that time, started in Greenwood, Columbia, Greenville, Columbia down to Charleston BACK to Columbia and the back again to Columbia, Rock Hill then home. That was a nasty day.

I could do the 900 miles to Dallas but like Adam, it would cost me at least two days more and I really don't think Cindy would be speaking to me after the first day. Google map says it's 14 hours, but it's all interstate. I bet I could shave an hour or two off that. :good:

Yea, the addition of 2 extra days for the drive is big thing, but at this point getting/having the time off isn't the issue, its whether I can afford to make the trip. Driving vs flying makes it slightly more likely I could afford to go, but we'll just have to see. I'm really hoping that in 7 months, that my wife & I are in a much better position to be able to do something like this.

Bob I was there last Year had a great time I just wish I had of bought that Trumpeter A3 ...... I'll see you there I live a little Northeast of Dallas ..... :coolio

The family and I will be working on being there. Going start planning this weekend and make it a family vacation also. (y)

This sounds like something that would be a blast to do! Plenty of time to plan to go and from Memphis I would definitely do the driving thing.

Adam, if you pass through the Memphis area to get to Dallas, we could maybe even hook up and caravan. :D

It's always a good time. See you there.
XXXs-n-OOOs
alex wence de leon

10397054_802244113122196_522087370983751870_o.jpg

See ya'll there ..... If your driving saw that Gasoline in Texas is @ 1.83 a gallon ..... Just think what it may be in June/July ..... :soldier :soldier :soldier

Still looking at this, don't think my Bride would tolerate driving but I'm game for it.

Come on MP you know you want to ...... I might could swing a tour of the Squadron warehouse .... I went last year and had lunch on them plus I dropped about $200 there ..... And your right no grills in Texas .... Maybe the imported ones from up North .... We use smokers ..... :good: :rotf

This won't happen for me, but I'll be looking forward to the pictures of the event. I know I cannot afford it, especially since I'm planning on a couple trips back-to-back in July. One is for my anniversary that my wife will mostly pay for, and the other one I hope to go to Columbus Ohio for the IPMS Nationals. My brother lives there so I'll save plenty on lodging which will help me to afford the cost of the whole trip better. At this point in time, however; I'm not confident I'll even be able to do that.

Back