• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

"Painting with Giovanni: fleshtones"

Re:Painting with Giovanni

Hi all,

Sorry for my late reply, but I've been away for quite some time.

I promise I'll keep on posting again soon.

@James:

You went quite far and I congratulate you.

Now, I will try to kkep up with your pace.

As for your work, is really good and clean.

My comments are more related to your style, which is completely personal.

My style has more contrast, while yours is more subtle, which again is just a matter of taste, if it was mine I will insist on highlights and shadows.

Please send us more pics.

@ Howard

Can't wait to have you on board, please let me know when you are ready and post some pics soon.

Ciao

Giovanni

Welcome back. I keep looking at your painting and others and I guess I'm just not getting the contrast shadow thing. When I look at my figure I can see the hilights and the shadows fairly well and they look right to my eyes. Yet constantly it is mentioned that I dont have enough contrast. I've tried to add more in the past and to me it looks horrable, so evidently I am not doing it right. I look for ward to your update to try and figure out what I am doing wrong. I am also hoping you might be able to help me with the braid and gold trim. I am using acrylics for that and dont know what colours to use to make it look proper. My last try was with old gold and golden brown. Could you give me a hand? Thanks in advance.
James

gioazz wrote:
Hi all,

Sorry for my late reply, but I've been away for quite some time.

I promise I'll keep on posting again soon.

@James:

You went quite far and I congratulate you.

Now, I will try to kkep up with your pace.

As for your work, is really good and clean.

My comments are more related to your style, which is completely personal.

My style has more contrast, while yours is more subtle, which again is just a matter of taste, if it was mine I will insist on highlights and shadows.

Please send us more pics.

@ Howard

Can't wait to have you on board, please let me know when you are ready and post some pics soon.

Ciao

Giovanni

Hi James,

If this is how you see your figures than this is the right way to paint for you.

As for the gold trim, this would be a subject I'll cover sooner or later, but I' happy to give you my mixture.

If we are talking about fabrics/trims, and not metal, we need to make a difference.

Only the high rank of the army at that period had actually trims and fabrics mixed with gold or similar, the vast majority had simple yellow fabrics/trims.

For the latter I would go for a dark ochre yellow as base and highlight and shadow using naple yelows, mars red, raw umber....

For the "gold" I would start with a dark ochre and metallic gold mix, of which the metalic gold just does a bit of sparkle, then add light ochre and naple yellow for the highlights, and mars yellow and raw umber for the shadows.

Once you have done that, ryou can simulate the threads with small lighter segments, but this is another story and will show you when we will discuss the topic.

Hope this helps.

Ciao

Giovanni

Yes it makes sense. I'll have to shelve this figure till I can afford the paints. I'll start another and see it I can get the face happening.
James

Okay Giovanni, here is my second attempt trying your tutorial. I'm going to start a thread in figures for this one but wanted to know what you thought of the face so far and the belly.

1_1_20100905_2032626732.jpg

2_2_20100905_2017358962.jpg

3_3_20100905_1135601821.jpg

4_4_20100905_1146234172.jpg

The lighting isnt the best and it seems more stark in real life. Actually to my eye its closer to the books I've read, but the light seems to wash out the colour. Anywas any thoughts ?

James

James, my friend, this is awsome!

Honestly, I like it a lot, much more tones variations than the others you made.

Now, pics are not the best ever, so I can't really tell, but great.

You may want to add a pinch of red on the cheeks, those guys usually were living outside.

Just put a tiny bit and start to blend, if you need more, add it, and maybe you want to paint the tip of the nose.

My warmest congratulations.

Thanks so much!

Giovanni

gioazz wrote:
James, my friend, this is awsome!

Honestly, I like it a lot, much more tones variations than the others you made.

Now, pics are not the best ever, so I can't really tell, but great.

You may want to add a pinch of red on the cheeks, those guys usually were living outside.

Just put a tiny bit and start to blend, if you need more, add it, and maybe you want to paint the tip of the nose.

My warmest congratulations.

Thanks so much!

Giovanni

Thank you. For the tip of the nose do you mean rosy as well? And where on the cheeks? In the light, or in the sides or at the meeting place? Thanks again.
James

I would say the reddish tone between the shadow and highlight on the cheeks, start with a really small tiny amount, you will always have time to add more.

Will you be getting into the nuts and bolts of shading and highlighting with acrylics? I kind of like the shade of the pants on my Germanic Warrior and might give it a go with acrylics.
James

HI James,

I will definetely do the acrylics really soon.

Bare with me, I'm off to Amsterdam for work and will be back next week.

In the meantime, please have a look at the finished head of our tanker and tell me what you guys think.

Ciao

Giovanni

P.S.: leathers on the helmet look shine because the oil colours are still wet.

38_20100909_1763711016.jpg

37_20100909_1094660234.jpg

39_20100909_1697393330.jpg

40_20100909_1903908290.jpg

41_20100909_1812182407.jpg

42_20100909_1667609553.jpg

43_20100909_1241685034.jpg

44_20100909_1953499391.jpg

Hey remember me? :Hiay
I'm going to get a big stick and punch this old mule in the butt and see if I get any reaction out of him. :laugh:

First things first though.
You ask about your tanker head when this thread died. Well the first thing I noticed was how rough the surface was and figured as small as 1/35th is it would be very difficult to demo your technique.
I've got seven,no six 1/35th figures so tomorrow i'll pick one out and see what I can do with it.

First a question: Your title page says to apply some brown/black shadows,is that oils or acrylics?

I also need to pick up a couple of those colors you suggested tomorrow too.

The one thing I ask is that you don't pull any punches with me,let's get as close to right the first time. I can work on the perfect part with practice. ;) :D

Talk at you later "G"
Tony lee

Hey remember me? :Hiay
I'm going to get a big stick and punch this old mule in the butt and see if I get any reaction out of him. :laugh:

First things first though.
You ask about your tanker head when this thread died. Well the first thing I noticed was how rough the surface was and figured as small as 1/35th is it would be very difficult to demo your technique.
I've got seven,no six 1/35th figures so tomorrow i'll pick one out and see what I can do with it.

First a question: Your title page says to apply some brown/black shadows,is that oils or acrylics?

I also need to pick up a couple of those colors you suggested tomorrow too.

The one thing I ask is that you don't pull any punches with me,let's get as close to right the first time. I can work on the perfect part with practice. ;) :D

Talk at you later "G"
Tony lee

Hi Tony,

He surface was rough, because I may have used a bad primer, but moreover because when you zoom so much a 1/35 you can see every single dust particles.

As for the shadows, these are what in the tank builder field is called preshadows, and is done in acrylics.

You use preshadows mostly because the oils are transparent and this will help.

Anything else, I'm here to help.

Ciao

Giovanni

Morning "G"
I wasn't knowing the head for being rough I was just saying it was making it difficult to see those fine lines of color and their placement.

I thought that preshading was acrylic and just wanted to make sure.
After I go shopping i'll pick a figure and take some test close up photos.

Ok lets do this :eek:hmy:
Tony lee

This is as close and as clear as it gets with my cheap little Kodak.
This one has the better eye sockets and the uniform has lots of folds.

I hope the picture clarity is good enough.
Tony lee

100_1110.jpg

Tony lee

100_1110.jpg

Tony lee

Hi Tony,

Picture is perfect!

I think that is a great starting figures.

I'll follow this very closely and anything you neex, let me know!

Ciao

Giovanni

I think that's enough don't you :D
100_1111.jpg

Tony

Hi Tony,

I would say this is more than enough!

I've made a few tweaks to your work, and added the areas where you should add a lighter colour:

The upper eyelid
the top edge of the lower eyelid
top and tip of the nose
top of the chin
upper part of the cheek bones
and above the mouth (not sure how to call these areas)

Let me know if this is clear.

Ciao

Giovanni

foto.JPG

Back