• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Of boy and horse

Re: Of boy and horse [it's he ha horse time]

Ok then,it's he ha horse time :D

A handicap horse,...no ears and no tail!

Gave the horse a basecoat with good old HUMBROL enamel paint.

paard_humbrol.jpg

Next a MIG oils layer[502 Abteilung]

paard_humbrol2.jpg

peerd1.jpg

Covered the horse with the oil paintcolor[DON'T THIN DOWN THE OIL MIXTURE!!!!!!]
After the horse is completely covered,use a DRY WIDE FLAT BRUSH a sable one is best,and begin cleaning away the mixture,all the time cleaning the brush with a paper towel,
continue this process,gradually until the base coat barely begins to show through and all the excess oil mixture is removed.

Your paper towel will look something like this;

peerd2.jpg

Paint in the dark shadow[WASH BROWN by MIG or RAW UMBER from other brands] and blend outward, I should have made the shadow darker with some black added.

peerd3.jpg

peerd4.jpg

Next use a highlight color[GERMAN OCHRE by MIG] and repeat blending,this time to the raised areas.

peerd5.jpg

peerd6.jpg

It looks a bit too yellow,but NO harm is done.With oils you easyly can work over this with the base mixture,...just blend away.That's why I like oils,it does dry slowly so errors can easyly be fixed!

Next will be the nose/mouth,mane,straps,eyes and metal.

Ofcourse I just had time to do this at night,so good light is a must.
Used these superb PENGUIN LIGHTS we now have 4 of these things in house.....

peerd7.jpg

:gogo :laugh:[Mrs Recon loves penguins]

Greetings,Ron.

Ooh ,just HAVE TO show you this one;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=0CVzCAbYkgM

Who doesn't love penguins?? Cute and cuddly, boys. Little Anton is really shaping up and you were not kidding about the horse being handicapped! (y)

Dear Ron.

...very nice oil painting on the horse...the blending techique works very well!...love the penguin lights ;)

Best!

Luiz.

Great work Ron! (y)
And i love the background of the little farmboy :D :drinks
I must try that technic for painting the horse as you show, it looks wonderful.
//Mats

Ok then,it's he ha horse time :D

A handicap horse,...no ears and no tail!

Gave the horse a basecoat with good old HUMBROL enamel paint.

paard_humbrol.jpg

Next a MIG oils layer[502 Abteilung]

paard_humbrol2.jpg

peerd1.jpg

Covered the horse with the oil paintcolor[DON'T THIN DOWN THE OIL MIXTURE!!!!!!]
After the horse is completely covered,use a DRY WIDE FLAT BRUSH a sable one is best,and begin cleaning away the mixture,all the time cleaning the brush with a paper towel,
continue this process,gradually until the base coat barely begins to show through and all the excess oil mixture is removed.

Your paper towel will look something like this;

peerd2.jpg

Paint in the dark shadow[WASH BROWN by MIG or RAW UMBER from other brands] and blend outward, I should have made the shadow darker with some black added.

peerd3.jpg

peerd4.jpg

Next use a highlight color[GERMAN OCHRE by MIG] and repeat blending,this time to the raised areas.

peerd5.jpg

peerd6.jpg

It looks a bit too yellow,but NO harm is done.With oils you easyly can work over this with the base mixture,...just blend away.That's why I like oils,it does dry slowly so errors can easyly be fixed!

Next will be the nose/mouth,mane,straps,eyes and metal.

Ofcourse I just had time to do this at night,so good light is a must.
Used these superb PENGUIN LIGHTS we now have 4 of these things in house.....

peerd7.jpg

:gogo :laugh:[Mrs Recon loves penguins]

Greetings,Ron.

Ooh ,just HAVE TO show you this one;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=0CVzCAbYkgM

Really nice update Ron, glad I didn't totally miss it. :dance

Ok folks,

Found some time to work on the dead horse.
Going on with blending the oils on the body and doing the leather parts with Humbrol enamels and doing some drybrushing with oils on the enamel paint.
Here are some pictures;

Paard_004.jpg

Paard_010.jpg

Paard_025.jpg

Think it's ok by my standards. :)

I will not try to sculpt the ears,instead of that I will cover up the ears with a blanket.
And what about the tail ?....Well...I will try out something new.
Told Iron Mike what I am planning,the rest of you just have to wait till the next update. ;)

Greetings,Ron.

Ah, Mike seems to be the keeper of all odd knowledge. Can't wait to see it Ron, the ears, could always claim battle damage! :mpup

The paint job looks fantastic! :notworthy

The horse is looking great, Ron! (y) The blending is really well done, makes me think you've done this before. :laugh:

Hey,thanks guys,you keep me motivated!

Think the secret with working with oils is to;take it easy and just go on with a bit of 'happy painting'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=sZZMOFUj0J0

:rotf

If everything goes well,more this weekend!
Thanks for following along!

Greetings,Ron.

Dear Ron.

Beautiful painting job!...very subtle...the way that I like!

Thanks for sharing your technique with us!

Luiz

OK guys!

What to do with a horse with NO tail and ears,if you don't like to sculpt....?

Cover up the ears with a blanket,and don't call it battledamage.... :laugh:

And for the tail?
Use a old wig you once used,acting like OZZY OSBOURNE,yelling:'Sharon!!!!'all of the time....[true story].

I cut a piece of hair from the 'OZZY'wig and glued one end with CA-glue and put it in his horses S.After drying use white-glue to bond the other end of the tail and press the tail in it's form using white-glue on your fingers.
When it's dry cut the tail to it's size,and paint with black oilpaints.

Here are several pics;

modelpaard2.jpg

modelpaard1.jpg

modelpaard3.jpg

modelpaard4.jpg

In the pics the blanket is still wet from the paint,later on some dry-brushing on it.
.......and maybe some ABUSE with pigments..... :laugh:

Next stop ....the vignette.

Greetings,Ron.

Beautiful painting on that horse Ron! (y) (y)
I once made a tail for a horse but i used sprue and a warm needle to make the texture.
The blanket and tail looks great and i'm not sure what's easiest, sculpt new ears or make that blanket.... :D
//Mats

Hey,thanks,Mats!

But I forgot to mention that the blanket isn't Magic Sculp or Epoxy putty.
The blanket is done the 'old school'way;using tissue-paper and white glue.

Sprue and a warm needle to do a horsetail? :hmmm Yeah, why not! :)

Greetings,Ron.

Sprue and a warm needle to do a horsetail? :hmmm Yeah, why not! :)
Greetings,Ron.

Here is a pic of it, painted with acrylics and pastells
P9040069.jpg

(one ear is scratchbuilt to)
Hope the next horse i do will loke more like the one you painted, i will give oils a try (y)
//Mats

After watching the Bob Ross parody, I was wondering if you'd make an Ozzy wig for little Anton? :laugh: :eek:hyeah The horse coloration is excellent! (y) :drinks

Back