• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

My D.K.M. Admiral Graf Spee

G Cooper

Here is my ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? :idonno :hmmm :eek:hyeah .

001_20100501_1671452325.jpg

I got the detail set just last week, and I plan on starting this late tonight or tomorrow.

Gary B)

Re:My Braille Scale build

Hi Gary!

Looking forward to se you build the :idonno :hmmm :eek:hyeah , are you going to make the early or version or late version with the :whistle: ??

Cheers Erik

Pink what :idonno ?

Dragunov wrote:
Hi Gary!

Looking forward to se you build the :idonno :hmmm :eek:hyeah , are you going to make the early or version or late version with the :whistle: ??

Cheers Erik

Hi Erik.

It is definatley going to be the late version. As outfitted just before the final battle

Gary B)

G Cooper wrote:

Dragunov wrote:
Hi Gary!

Cheers Erik

Hi Erik.

It is definatley going to be the late version. As outfitted just before the final battle

Gary B)

Good choice Gary, what is not to like, about the late final battle version!!

Erik

Dragunov wrote:
G Cooper wrote:

Dragunov wrote:
Hi Gary!

Cheers Erik

Hi Erik.

Gary B)

Erik

Ohh. Just that complicated camo job I am going to have to do to it is all.

Gary B)

G Cooper wrote:
Dragunov wrote:
G Cooper wrote:

Dragunov wrote:
Hi Gary!

Cheers Erik

Hi Erik.

Gary B)

Erik

Ohh. Just that complicated camo job I am going to have to do to it is all.

Gary B)

I'm sure you can do it, just a lot of masking, and blending in the colours to make it look like the real thing :S

Erik

OK. So here it is finally. I was just kinda not wanting to go to get a newspaper, but I ended up doing it anyways. So now I can get started on this cool little kit. And yes, it is about as old as me :S , so it is going to be very set in his ways, and difficult to work with :laugh:.

003_20100502_1056949473.jpg

And so far, the idea I have is to do it in the final scheme he wore just before the battle of the River Platte. That means four colors, plus the wood deck :woohoo: .

Gary B)

Hey Gary , I hope you got the paper for half price ? :eek:hmy:

Why ? :idonno

Cause it is a day old !!!! :pp :pp :pp :pp

About time a kit that old got built ! :laugh:

Jenny :kiss:

here are some close ups of the graf spee in montevideo that show the camo quite good:

http://www.deutschland-class.dk/admiral_graf_spee/gallery/gallgrafspeemontevideo.html

good luck with the camo i have to say!

but to top it you could go for the disguised graf spee:

http://www.deutschland-class.dk/admiral_graf_spee/gallery/gallgrafspeeindisquise.html

wouldn't that be a kewl challenge? hm?

jenny croft wrote:
Hey Gary , I hope you got the paper for half price ? :eek:hmy:

Why ? :idonno

Cause it is a day old !!!! :pp :pp :pp :pp

About time a kit that old got built ! :laugh:

Jenny :kiss:

Yeah yeah yeah, wadevah :p

I think maybe I should get my money back for that calendar I bought about four months ago. It seem to be constantly one day off ;)

Kreighshoer wrote:
here are some close ups of the graf spee in montevideo that show the camo quite good:

http://www.deutschland-class.dk/admiral_graf_spee/gallery/gallgrafspeemontevideo.html

good luck with the camo i have to say!

but to top it you could go for the disguised graf spee:

http://www.deutschland-class.dk/admiral_graf_spee/gallery/gallgrafspeeindisquise.html

wouldn't that be a kewl challenge? hm?

Hi Laura.

Thanks for that. You can never have to much reference. And I have some more that I found last year that I have been saving for this day. If you go to the home page of this site, it gives you lots and lots of ships from just about every navy to go through.

http://www.maritimequest.com/warship_directory/germany/pages/cruisers/admiral_graf_spee.htm

And this is the colors I am going to put on him.

10graf-spee-dec1939_20100502_1576391589.png

I just need to decide what those colors are. The dark and light grey for the hull and superstructure sides are easy. The question that no one really knows definitivley any more is if the camo colors are greys, or greens, or a mix of grey and green. But I figure that I have a couple more days at least until I get to that point. So now I am just going to enjoy the build :cheer: .

Gary B)

different shades of grey are more logic than any shade of green on high sea!

the only ship camo with shades of green and brown i know of would be paint scheme g of the tirpitz when the crew distributed trees on the deck while stationed in faettendfjord 1942!

and that color scheme still is heavily debated!

-> http://www.bismarck-class.dk/tirpitz/gallery/themes/gallthemetirfaettenfjord.html

-> http://www.bismarck-class.dk/tirpitz/gallery/themes/gallthemetirincolour.html

for a long term project you could go wild and try to copy william terra's graf spee - something i would love to have and sail around the local lakes:

-> http://www.kbismarck.com//models/model13.html

Kreighshoer wrote:
different shades of grey are more logic than any shade of green on high sea!

the only ship camo with shades of green and brown i know of would be paint scheme g of the tirpitz when the crew distributed trees on the deck while stationed in faettendfjord 1942!

and that color scheme still is heavily debated!

I have to agree 100% with that Laura. I personally believe that there is the possibility of green only due to the fact that they had the float planes that were green. And doubtless had some green paint for them. But I can not in all honesty believe that they kept enough green paint on board to do all the painting that the Graf Spee recieved. Even with all the storage space available on a ship that size. And also considering that the Graf Spee spent practically the entire war out at sea, and never was in a situation like the Tirpitz of trying to "hide" by the shore next to a forest of trees, there was never any need to try to camoflauge with green paint. But out at sea, there are lots of greys to hide among, so grey it will be on my version. And then I will rest comfortably against all nit pickers until someone shows me a period color photo that is clearly showing green on anything but the Arados :p .

And the Star Wars episodes I, II, and III are just finishing, so I am going to turn on some music, and get to gluing.

Gary B)

Alll right! A floating tank. More guns more armor. Yeah baby!!!

Terry B)

OK, I guess I gotta prove that I have actually been doing something besides cruising the internet looking for more Graf Spee pics.

So I made some pics of my own.

First thing I did was realise that I didn't like the molded on anchor chain. So it had to go. And then I thought (always a dangerous thing for me) that it would be easier to simply :unsure: cut out the entire forward area and replace it with some scratch built decking. That way there would be no ugly gouges or scratches from cutting the chain off. And then the dangerous part came back at me, and I decided to replace the chain roundy circley things that the chain goes around. Because the chain I had didn't look right just looped around what ever them thingys are. That was all yesterday. Today I have been working on replacing the main gun barrels with a little bit of brass tube.

006_20100503_1871017564.jpg

004_20100503_1069802555.jpg

005_20100503_1036765931.jpg

The gun barrel experiment.

003_20100503_1967090000.jpg

001_20100503_1580968836.jpg

002_20100503_1120784497.jpg

So far the only thing that I have actually glued together are the upper and lower hull, and the gun barrels into the turrets. All of this stuff is just sitting in place at this time. I am going to do the upper superstructures next, then paint the deck. Then I will start to actually begin gluing things together .

Gary B)

Back