• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Moon Puppy went to London

Rising Sun (1/72 & 1/48) and Xtradecal (1/48) had sheets with 30 Sqdn P-47's on them.

Cheers,
Rich

WOW 'Pup!! Just WOW!! Thanks for taking the time & trouble to post all those awesome photos!! :notworthy :salute
Lots of our old Friends at the RAF Museum! :pilot
Airborne DH.89. You just don't see that everyday!

You must have timed the trip just right. It's only sunny in London 5 days a year! :rotf

WOW 'Pup!! Just WOW!! Thanks for taking the time & trouble to post all those awesome photos!! :notworthy :salute
Lots of our old Friends at the RAF Museum! :pilot
Airborne DH.89. You just don't see that everyday!

You must have timed the trip just right. It's only sunny in London 5 days a year! :rotf

I've been doing something right lately, don't know what but it's working.

I guess this is what I saw. Maybe I should have gone out to Duxford. :idonno

http://www.classic-wings.co.uk/dragon-rapide-flights/

Good to be back Dad.

20170902_103707.jpg

Can one of you guys tell me about this insigna? It's on the tail of the P47. I dig it because it's so much like our Palmetto.

That P-47 is in the markings of No. 30 Squadron. The squadron was formed in Egypt in 1915 and operated in the Middle East until it was transferred to Ceylon in 1942. They flew P-47's from May 1944 to March 1946 in Burma and India. The are currently flying Hercules C4/C5 from RAF Brize Norton.

30_Squadron_RAF.jpg

The badge was approved by HM King George VI in 1938, the date palm commemorating their long service in the Middle East. The motto translates to "All Out".

Cheers,
Rich

Actually, it reads belly on the ground :idonno

Thanks for posting, My wife, whose a born and bred Welsh Wench, thoroughly enjoyed the tour (y)

:D and of course :drinks

Would have loved to see your face first time you jumped into a car over there - did you have a funny feeling having no wheel and no pedals ? I did :D

London is something you need two weeks at least to see everything worth seeing. Been there three times and still haven't managed to visit all places I wanted to, but every time I had a blast. Next time you go there, search for a place called TGI Friday - close to Leicester square - decent prices, great food. Fish and chips ? There is a great place that does the best F&Cs I have ever had, but that is up north, where my inlaws live.

When I went to see Buckingham (you might have learned that you do not pronounce the HAM in these words :D ) I wanted to to shout YO Lizzie !!!! but I was told that would be highly inappropriate :rotf Besides, she is the head of the state I live in.

Excellent memories mate, thanks for posting and glad you had a great time.

Laurence

Thanks Laurence, I think I saw the TGI Fridays but passed it over, American chain. I got a rule, when traveling, I never eat where I can eat at home. Sample the local stuff you know?

Don't get me wrong, the F&C was good but every night?

I totally agree about the time needed. I only had two days and think of all the things I wanted to see. I understand the public transport now so that will be no problem.

neat pics! Too bad you did not make it to Bovington Tank Museum

It wasn't even on my radar being a 5 hour train ride...one way. As Laurence said, you need two weeks to do this trip, even then you'd miss things.

I would have loved to walked some of the old abandoned airfields.

Looks like an awesome trip Bob. Good that you had fun and got to see so much. Oh and if you want a Magpie I'll box one or two up and mail em to you. Beautiful bird but noisy as all get out, especially early in the morning when you just want to sleep.
James
James

I’d just be echoing all the previous comments but............
DAMN! That had to be the trip of a lifetime!

James I feel I didn't see enough, thanks for checking out the trip. (y)

You saw a lot! Take it from someone who has crossed the Atlantic about 200 times, not to mention being stationed in France for 3 years, you can never see it all, no matter what! So many Americans never get to leave the country, so consider yourself one of the lucky ones! You'll remember that trip the rest of your life!

I thought it was awesome you got to do that!

Dad

Thanks Greg, it was, only wish Cindy could have been there but I doubt the museum would have made the cut.. :roof

Paying for it now, worked 3 out of the 4 last weekends and got another coming up.

Only got to spend one night in London back when we were on our way back from two weeks in Bosnia on a missions trip. Stayed in a hostel and asked them where was a good place to eat British food. The lad suggested we skip British food all together and go eat Indian food. It was suggested we order Kingfisher Ale, a good Indian beer. Happened to look at the label and saw it was bottled right here in Saratoga Springs, NY. So there we were in London, eating Indian food and drinking beer bottled in the US...like Bob said- makes for a great story!

Back