• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Monogram B-26, Lone Star early conversion

Thanks, everyone.

The interior is complete now and the fuselage is ready to be joined. The Eduard PE makes things a lot more interesting, although 75% of the PE is still unused. Most of the rest goes in the back and I’m not doing that as none will be seen except the lower frame for the upper turret, which I did use. I did my best to come up with the colors for the interior, using an overall medium dark green with light oversprays of OD. Much of the interior was padded fabric for which no one seems to know the original color other than some type of OD or green. The yellow life vests/seat cushions brighten things up some. I have no idea what the padded area is on the bulkhead behind the copilot’s seat but I painted it khaki. I think the yellow tank behind the pilot’s seat is a low pressure oxygen tank so I painted it yellow. The fire extinguisher is aluminum with a light coat of copper and has a dark red brown nozzle. The aft bulkhead is aluminum as they were uncoated according to all the information I could find. The only reliable color source seems to be Flak Bait, and only its nose section until the Smithsonian assembles the airplane again. The floor was covered in a dark rubber and the area above the cockpit sill is supposed to be flat black, what you see is my best guess at that.

0271b26.jpg

0281b26.jpg

0291b26.jpg

0301b26.jpg

John, I wish upon wish I had not only the patience but the skill to attempt half of what you’re doing here.
I’ll just sit in the corner sucking my thumb and watch the big boys play!
I’m truely amazed, watching with interest.
Carry on!

$19, I spend a lot of time sucking my thumb too. I also try not to photograph the ugly parts!

Thanks, Duke.

Luiz, John uses his own website or image hosting.
Can you get to this home page?

http://goldeneramodel.com/

Thanks, Paul.

More progress. Pictures tomorrow, but the fuselage halves are together, with a cast weight inside behind the cockpit bulkhead. The tail surfaces are attached and the rear gunner's glass work is being fitted. A photo of the loosely assembled model to prove it will balance.

0391b26.jpg

Work has continued on the B-26. I have updated my web site and maybe it is best if those who are interested go there as there are 45 photos in the post so far. Sorry I haven't kept up with posting as I build but I seem to have too many irons in the fire recently. I also have an FM-2 under way, a conversion of the Tamiya kit.

Here's a link to the build log and then a picture of the work finished up today:

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/b26/1b26/1b26.html

Number two wouldn't fire up, mixture problems I think.

0451b26.jpg

Man that's a lot of work, you guys need to cruise over to Johns' site and look at what he's doing. :popcorn

Forty-five pics you say? Yeah, I've posted that many here before.... :blink :woohoo:

Your work is awesome man, everything looks so fantastic over on your site. Way to go! :good:

I love it: "Number two wouldn't fire up, mixture problems I think." :rotf

Keep them coming John!

Well, it's been a long haul but this one is finally in the display case. Short wings, small tail, and early style tail gun set up. Eventually I will have to build a stock Monogram kit, but not today! Overall OD is 34086 from Model Master, as close to OD 41 as I can see, with fading using Faded Olive Drab and 34087, also MM. Matte finish is Alclad II. Oils used for weathering and a silver pencil, Tamiya Smoke for the exhaust. The torpedo installation and decals are from Lone Star. It is a B-26 used in the battle of Midway, and flew down the deck of Nagumo's flagship carrier, strafing it. Here is a link to a narrative of the attack by the B-26's. 2 of 4 returned to Midway, but Susie Q was scrapped due to the damage incurred.

https://www.pacificwar.org.au/Midway/USArmy_at_Midway.html]

0461b26.jpg

0471b26.jpg

0481b26.jpg

0491b26.jpg

0501b26.jpg

0511b26.jpg

052b26.jpg

0531b26.jpg

0541b26.jpg

0461b26.jpg

0551b26.jpg

0561b26.jpg

Let me be the first to say that this is another of your fine builds, John. Quite impressive.

Back