• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

MIG-29 A Fulcrum 1/72

Thanks again

Well, since I am coming back into the Hobby, I have decided to Experiment a bit. I have been reading and studying techniques a lot (once a nerd...) and I am using a technique to make the Panels stand out, by highlighting the creases in darker tones. This is the underside and I think ist doesn't look that bad.

Comments? Inputs? :smack

Cheers and nice Weekend everyone

Alex

hae3d842.JPG

hdf3be41.JPG

hc1ebb4b.JPG

Wow, that is some fast work! You did well with the filling and sanding too; there's no sign that you had any difficulty at all.

On the panel highlights (or "lowlights" if you will...) you might want to try a darker color. Otherwise those will disappear under a coat of paint.

One other technique you could try that a friend and fellow modeler does is: after painting, decaling and dullcoating; he "draws in" the lines with a very fine mechanical pencil (point .003 or point .005 lead)

Well done once again and keep on rollin' man!

Thanks for the Support.

I was just telling Christian that I intended to Highlight the Panels line with a darker hue than the normal Camouflage so that when the weathering is applied it Looks smoother. I will see it through and check for the results. In any case, it will be valuable experience.

And to that effects here are the camo colours applied: the light ghost gray and the gunship gray. Unfortunateyl it turned out a bit "bluer" that I wanted, but peraps it will look good anyways.

Cheers

Alex

had8efad.JPG

h6001fed.JPG

hc3b5e4d.JPG

hc935858.JPG

h1267517.JPG

hf52a4eb.JPG

hdfd2823.JPG

The panel lines look too strong but as you say, it's hard to make an omelet without breaking some eggs

Still making progress (y)

Cheers, Christian B)

Thanks guys.

A Little bit of fast Forward here. You are right, the lines were too strong. I thought that with the decals and weathering they would be a bit better, but no. They did not improve:

h9b34585.JPG

h27d6831.JPG

h5bdfdc4.JPG

h28363fc.JPG

he55b497.JPG

It didn't work. It looked horrible. And to add Insult to injury, the decals were brittle and falling apart :bang head :bang head :bang head :bang head

I did a bit of surgery and tried to get rid of the lines. I think it Looks better than before, at least not so bad.

In any case, it was my Rebound plane. It's done and now time to tackle new challenges.

he210298.JPG

h705ef42.JPG

h36f144f.JPG

hc0ad775.JPG

h72cea5c.JPG

h7b1756d.JPG

hf1400b2.JPG

h1d2cb8a.JPG

Using the Diorama for the F-104C

h398fd96.JPG

h9c62411.JPG

And here the Evolution of MiGs, from a MiG-3 to a MiG-29.

hcc36977.JPG

Cheers

Alex

Honestly Alex, it looks quite good for a rebound build!

The panel lines did look a little heavy but from the images, it looks like you were able to tone that down a bit, the windows look good, I really like the weathering on the landing gear, burner cans and the underside.

Remember that we are our own worse critics. You are getting better with each build!

(y)

Accent the positive and move past the negative. I think it looks great, maybe some more blending on the wash would have helped tone down the panel lines. Overall it's good! (y)

Thank you Warren and Bob. I appreciate it. As I said, learned a few more things that I will (or won't) use in the future. Highlighting the Panels is ok (worked well on the underside and on the Gull Gray) but it must be VERY subtle, specially on 1/72. I had never tried it so I will chalk it to a positive build.

Now on to the MMM 2018.

Cheers

Alex

P.S. Is there a Ribbon? Dave? Dave? :drunk

Making good on something that doesn't turn out as we wish is, to me at least, more valuable than getting it right from the first attempt. Of course that we all want our models to come out right without having to correct / redo some things. Even so, personally, I find a lot of things I wish I could have done better on a finished model that never gave me any grief in the first place.

I think the plane looks fine, I have never seen decals this interesting on a bird before.

Well done Sir.

Laurence

Thanks Mike and Laurence

I agree... No pain no gain. It means a lot, specially coming from someone gutsy enough to tackle a Bismarck 1:200 (maybe next you will build a Tirpitz 1:5?)

I love strange, commemorative decals. In this case, I look for some oddities in the air magazines, air Shows etc. Always something strange to build.

I appreciate your Support.

Cheers

Alex

Saw this on another forum and I think it reflects my thoughts .

The following is from Mr. Barry Numerick
I also want to add the following: Deep inside, I believe many of us are actually not striving for true realism. We are after an effect. This invariably means exaggeration. The richer the variety of these effects are the better we deem a model is, provided that there is sufficient restraint in the effects. But at the end, it is all artistic. That's why we have these fads, and this includes everything I do on my own models. It looks great to me during the year I build them, but a few years later I ask myself "what was I thinking." That's why I personally refrain from claiming that I am after realism. I know I am not. However, I do want references of the real thing to guide my process of a purely artistic and arbitrary attempts at effect-replication.

He is a 72nd scale modeler: "Weathering is very much a matter of individual taste. Some like accentuated panel lines, others don't. A wise modeler once told me that a real plane shrunk down to 1/72 scale would be boring, while a model increased to actual size would look like a caricature."

We're all searching . Another lesson learned Alex :good: Keep up the good work.

Cheers, Christian B)

Thank you Dave and Chris. Indeed another lesson learned. I really liked your post, master. Indeed it is art, and should be seen as such.

The Thing is, you look at all the Rembrandts and Van Goghs in this Forum and you feel like you are still painting with your fingers in kindergarten..

In any case, moving on. Started the MiG 15.

Cheers

Alex

Back