• Modelers Alliance has updated the forum software on our website. We have migrated all post, content and user accounts but we could not migrate the passwords.
    This requires that you manually reset your password.
    Please click here, http://modelersalliance.org/forums/login to go to logon page and use the "Forgot your Password" option.

Manfred's Workhorse 1/72 FW-190-A8

h6d99084.JPG

Little Snoopy, in His customary spot. On Der Baron's tail.

Thanks for looking in!

In my personal, non-model life, a great relief has come. It isn't a subject for our forum, so I won't go into it here.
HOWEVER! The Model Mojo returned to it's normal, silly, state. I got up early this morning, had a few (?!?) cups of coffee, and put some more parts on Der Baron's FW.

hb0aaf45.JPG

Since it IS Another World and I had most carefully drilled the kit gun barrels out (then snapped them off). :vmad
I dug into my stock of hypodermic tubing and came up with..........................
You got it! Mk.108 30mm cannons for Der Baron's wings!
h04896aa.JPG

he71330e.JPG

She no Contest winner. The old 1/72 Hasegawa kit, perhaps, should have been donated for some other poor schmuck to play with. :bang head :bat
She is looking quite Red Baron-ish, don't you agree?

Would Captain Eddie's airplane be a P-51 or a Spitfire? "Hat-in-the-Ring" Tempest maybe? :hmmm
F-105D THUNDERCHIEF!

Since this is Von Richtofen's combat workhorse fighter, it's time to do something I don't usually do.
Washes, stains, chips and smoke! The only item un-schmutzed will be the belly tank, since it's new for every flight.

Thanks Men for your kindnesses!

hbf5c0f9.JPG

Holly Funking Snow-a-saurus Rex!
8 new inches & still coming down. I feel for people who commute in such weather!
In any case, On to the Modeling!

hbae5522.JPG

Old tool kit. Old school techniques! I remember from when I was a kid (?!?) Shep Paine wrote "Weathering should be subtle and applied in layers. You don't want your model to look like it crashed into a flour factory". That cool color flyer that came in Monogram's Jeep & 37mm gun kit, I think.

h2579d43.JPG

A little brown acrylic wash, gray for cannon smoke, pencil for control surfaces, black Bragdon for the exhaust soot, Testors silver for the chipping.

hfeb6684.JPG

She still needs a little more schmutz, but you get the idea.
Thanks for looking in!

Chris (The Landing Gear Police) is going to cite you for that starboard alignment. :mpup Fun with powders. :ro:

I forget my Bullschtein Story it seems.
At 47 years of age, called out of retirement by his peers and driven by the desire to defend his Homeland, Freiherr Manfred von Richtofen takes to the skies once again. Appointed as commanding general of the Luftwaffe By Hitler hisownself, he is expected to become a member of the Nazi party. Having little interest in politics, Facebook and inflammatory rhetoric, von Rictofen flatly refuses.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWF8iRCan7I

Von Richtofen fires Hermann Goring for conduct unbecoming an officer for his many personal excesses. Hermann packs up his lacy underpants, odd lichtblau uniforms and takes command of a distillery, next door to a munkey rainch in Switzerland.

hcefef12_2019-02-23.JPG

Most concerned with leading by example, Der Baron picks out and airplane and goes to work. Despite strenuous objections from OKW, his personal aircraft are adorned in very much the same fashion his Jasta 11 "Flying Circus" tri-plane had been.
"Does a German Officer conceal himself from His enemies?"

Der Baron is above reproach. Having little vanity, his FW-190 also displays none of his 270-odd victory markings.
Just Snoopy on his doghouse at the tip of the fin.
Flying and fighting is a rough & tumble business. Manfred's workhorse gets a minimum of attention to the finish.
Engine, cannons and mechanical system at kept at the peak of fighting trim. His crewman keep the winders spotless as well.

Calling this project done!
Hals und Beinbruch!
Thanks for looking in!
:snoopy
:eek:ldguy
:pilot

After the loss of so many comrades during The Great War, I like to believe Manfred might would have treasured his time at his peaceful home.
Good quality time with Kathe, wringing out the odd airplane at Anton Fokker's facility, hunting, riding, skiing, tending to the affairs of the estate and traveling. Looking after his nephews and teaching them Onkel-stuff, festivals and outings with Voss, his family, airplane friends and former opponents.
Not quite as extroverted as Udet in peace time, An honored War veteran and a gentleman.

Just wait till you see his Starfighter! F-86F!
I'm working on a TLAR decal sheet for 1/72 Red Baron airplane models. It's expensive to cannibalize 4 or 5 decal sheets to do what I want.

See what Mike started!

Back